NatWest's 'Rapport' software - should I install it?

Options

Comments

• googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Avoid. OH installed it on one of our machines, and it hogged memory like it was going out of fashion, and slowed the machine to a crawl.....
  • davehughes182
    Options
    Leopard wrote: »
    Whenever my banks urge me to install anti-malware software, I ask them, very politely and earnestly, which ones they would advise and prefer me to use on my Macs. :cool:

Strangely, this has never produced any reply. :confused:

Maybe I should now also ask them how to install "Rapport" on a PowerPC Mac. :D

I've always made it clear that if they wish to protect themselves from fraud occurring on my accounts, I shall be happy to accept from them a Windows-based computer or a five-year interest-free loan of £1,000 to buy one. :)

Clearly it is time to ask them at least to supply me with an Intel Mac. :xmassmile

Rapport is used by most banks now and i beleive it works with MAC's. I work in a large UK Bank for their Internet Banking team and have had a lot of customers querying Rapport lately. The message from the higher gods here is that with Raport installed, all customers are protected completely from internet banking fraud. Altho personally, i have not installed it on my laptop at home :rotfl:
    No One I Think Is In My Tree.:cool:
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I work in a large UK Bank for their Internet Banking team and have had a lot of customers querying Rapport lately. The message from the higher gods here is that with Raport installed, all customers are protected completely from internet banking fraud.

Given the state that the UK banks are in at the moment, that doesn't really reassure me.....
  • hubert_cumberdale
    Options
    i cannot stand this pop up HSBC have it and everytime i log in it asks me if i want to install it.

I am at the point of moving banks as its so annoying, i refuse to install it as HSBC were giving away mcaffee which is the worst peice of software know to man so i cant imagine this is any better

. I would rather just give my PC to a nigerian than install that.
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    i cannot stand this pop up HSBC have it and everytime i log in it asks me if i want to install it.

I am at the point of moving banks as its so annoying, i refuse to install it as HSBC were giving away mcaffee which is the worst peice of software know to man so i cant imagine this is any better

. I would rather just give my PC to a nigerian than install that.

I'm with HSBC, it seems to be the case that their cookie / login process counts three offers of Rapport then stops offering it for six or eight then reverts back to the three offers.

I certainly would not consider changing banks unless Rapport became mandatory. If it was to become mandatory someone would write a script so the bank would think Rapport was working when it was not, at which point the whole Rapport con would invalidate itself because the script kiddies would wreak havok.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,036 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Am glad that this has been revived - been struggling to work out why my mother's PC is so slow and this could well be the reason.

She's elderly, is with RBS and has Rapport on her 3 or 4 year old PC. I took off AVG as it was eating resources by checking each website and page before loading and that has helped significantly, however removing Rapport may give her the Lotus Elite speed rather than the Whizz model!

Can't do it until Christmas, though may try over logmein later.

Thanks
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    Gers wrote: »
    Am glad that this has been revived - been struggling to work out why my mother's PC is so slow and this could well be the reason.

She's elderly, is with RBS and has Rapport on her 3 or 4 year old PC. I took off AVG as it was eating resources by checking each website and page before loading and that has helped significantly, however removing Rapport may give her the Lotus Elite speed rather than the Whizz model!

Can't do it until Christmas, though may try over logmein later.

Thanks

While you are at it attend to the msconfig, usually 90%+ of the stuff that's loading is the reason for slow everything including the net, and importantly the same 90%+ is not needed for efficient operation.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • spud17
    spud17 Posts: 4,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Rapport is used by most banks now and i beleive it works with MAC's. I work in a large UK Bank for their Internet Banking team and have had a lot of customers querying Rapport lately. The message from the higher gods here is that with Raport installed, all customers are protected completely from internet banking fraud. Altho personally, i have not installed it on my laptop at home :rotfl:

Does it work with Linux?

So it stops fraud, please explain how it stops someone giving their details to a phishing scam?
    Move along, nothing to see.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,036 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    While you are at it attend to the msconfig, usually 90%+ of the stuff that's loading is the reason for slow everything including the net, and importantly the same 90%+ is not needed for efficient operation.

Thanks - how do I do that? Not techy or geeky!
  • aliEnRIK
    aliEnRIK Posts: 17,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Gers wrote: »
    Thanks - how do I do that? Not techy or geeky!

Safest way would be to post a hijack log so we can advise better

reboot

Download HIJACK THIS (Make sure you click 'DOWNLOAD LATEST VERSION')
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_hijackthis/
    Click MAIN MENU then DO A SYSTEM SCAN AND SAVE A LOGFILE(Takes seconds) then post the log in a NEW thread so we can see whats running
    (do NOT do anything else with Hijack but scan and post the FULL log)
    If you get a message that you cant write to the hosts file then Press the SHIFT key, and whilst holding it RIGHT CLICK and select RUN AS (admin)

Post the link to your new thread here if you decide to go ahead
    :idea:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family