NatWest's 'Rapport' software - should I install it?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Kernel_Sanders
    Options
    pelakastim wrote: »

PS...its also blocked the BBC new ticker working while playing up!!

What does that mean?
  • solvent_chris
    Options
    Anyone who thinks installing special software onto a PC will guarantee security is likely to be deluding themselves. Do you seriously think Microsoft, Adobe and countless other software vendors don't actually at least try to avoid security mistakes?.... Apparently there are more than a million NEW pieces of malware for Windows created every year. Anti virus products have been available for decades but the problem still hasn't been cracked! Even mobile phones are now being hacked.

And in addition to clever hacks, there is always the social engineering attacks. So even if the operating system is secure you cannot be sure you haven't been conned into messing something up. Basically never ever rely on technology without using your brain to conduct regular sanity checks!

In theory it is possible to arrange pretty good security on closed systems but if the user can install any piece of arbitrary software, then so can the bad guys. Mac and Linux PCs make it much more difficult to 'accidentally' install malware but if you trick the user you can still get in. It isn't too difficult to attack MS Windows PCs. (Google for Zeus Toolkit for starters). And of course any proper programmer with malicious intents could write much worse.

So always think carefully about following web-links , especially in emails and never open attachments from unknown sources etc. Also seriously consider using Linux or even consider using LINUX LIVE-CDs. Setting up a dual boot PC to run Ubuntu might be a very good option for some. Or even use an old PC running Linux just for financial stuff.

Personally although I'm a Chartered Engineer and a programmer I avoid doing online banking and then never use Windows. If I have to use the PC I use Linux. So far so good, no viruses and no missing money.
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    23 years ago a member of the then Midland Bank Internet Trials Team, so from the K6's and many incarnation of CPU / technology and O/S's, but always with Widows. So far so good .. .. 23 years of internet banking from Windows and no viruses and no missing money.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Roy1234
    Roy1234 Posts: 169 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Every banking loss I can think of has been around dishonest staff, whether in branches or call centres, or stolen cheque books, or con men blagging their way past bank staff by impersonating you. Or cloned cards or tampered chip & PIN machines. The closest to actual online fraud I've come across has been phishing, ie tricking the unwary into logging into a spoof bank site. Even this is becoming extinct as banks introduce physical cryptographic devices, in the possession of customers only, to make third party transfers out of accounts. I regard online banking, yes on a Windows PC protected with decent AV software, as the most secure form of banking without doubt.

It amazes be when IT people say that they don't trust online banking, but prefer instead to read out security info to an unknown person in a remote call centre, or else post a cheque, the latter being a piece of paper with your name, account name & number, sort code, branch address and signature in an envelope probably with something revealing your address too. Each to their own.
  • ChiefGrasscutter
    Options
    conspiracy mode /on
    not forgetting you will have licked the envelope probably - so your DNA will be on it.
    conspiracy mode /off
  • Roy1234
    Roy1234 Posts: 169 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    conspiracy mode /on
    not forgetting you will have licked the envelope probably - so your DNA will be on it.
    conspiracy mode /off

A reformed professional forgerer once described the 'cheque in the post' as a DIY fraud kit, if intercepted by say a thieving postie. As for infiltration of bank call centres by criminal gangs (having moved on from petrol station card cloning), it won't take you long on google to verify that one.

No conspiracy required.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport