We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Any advice for voluntary work?
Comments
-
princess_lou wrote: »Thanku everryone 4 ur replies, really panicking now though. i have to apply for uni at xmas...
oldernotwiser, wots this key skill? sorry if i should know this.
im really confused because my tutor knew i had no gcse b4 i got put through??!!
Have you started the Access course yet?
If not, they will probably ask people at the start if they need to take GCSEs. Many students take them alongside the Access course.
Here is a link about Key Skills:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/QualificationsExplained/DG_10039028
If you achieve level two, it is supposed to show your key skills are at GCSE level, but tbh, I think you will be better taking the GCSEs.
I took level 2 'application of number' and 'ICT', and level 3 'communication' alongside my access course, and tbh they were a walk in the park. I have O levels anyway, but the tutor was keen for people to have an up to date qualification.0 -
Newly i emailed you, hope it sent ok! I'm just getting ready for starting tomorrow yikes! I must get organised........As for the GCSEs, i have a B in English but i have no maths and i did do the key skills adult numeracy level 2 but i still have to do GCSE Maths with my access course this year as the university ask for it.Winging life....0
-
What uni are you thinking of attending. Im at uni on my second year at Birmingham and i love the course! As for you age, im 27 next month and the people in my class are of mixed ethnicities and age, infact i would say there is a higher percentage of people over the age of 21! For my application, i hardly had any experience but i wrote about my nan dying of cancer, my aunty is a foster carer, why i think i would be a great social worker and the only 'work' experience i had was working very occasionly in my childrens school. I think universities accept people from all diversities and your age will certainly not go against you! I remember the one tutor saying how an applicant had got into uni by explaining how she was a waitress who didnt have time for voluntary work but she gained great social skills by dealing with unhapy customers and meeting a wide range of people that she would not nesecarily have associated herself with before, working to time scales etc etc. I throughly hope you enjoy the course. within the first year, you learn so much more about yourself and it makes you more determined to do the course.PAD from July= £55.10Aug= £120.57Getting organised for christmas!!!!0
-
Thanks for all the replies, and I hope this thread helps some others in the same situation.
Narla- I know what you mean when I have told people I want to go into SW they look at me as if I am stupid and ask why I want the hassle, esp after everything thats been in the news over the past year. The way I answer is the way my doctor described it when I told him- SW are not paid enough for the job they do, it is hard work but a rewarding career, also you never hear about the good jobs that are done only the negative ones!
the_missis- I am unsure which uni at the moment have been doing a bit of research online and will go to visit when I short list them, my tutor has said he will run through the local uni's with me once the course has started.
And finally Katie- how was your first day? Hope it went well.
xx0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards