We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Any advice for voluntary work?

Hi, I have just enrolled on an Access to Social Science course at my local college, hoping to do a Social Work degree next year. With all the people being refused places at Uni this year, and being an 'older' student I realise that my application for the course will need to stand out. Does anyone have any idea of some voluntary work that I could do to increase my chances? I have thought about our local Sure Start, but they only take volunteers on approx 3 times a year, due to the training. Any advice would be brilliant. Thanks all.

xx newlysinglexx
«134

Comments

  • Have you considered helping out with Brownies or Guides, they are always desperate for leaders and as one myself I can honestly say it is one of the most rewarding things I have ever done.
    2009 wins: Cadburys Chocolate Pack x 6, Sally Hansen Hand cream, Ipod nano! mothers day meal at Toby Carvery! :j :j :j :j
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    edited 2 September 2009 at 8:01PM
    Do you have experience with any client groups already?

    And are you looking to work with children specifically?

    I may be talking rubbish, but I think they'd like to see people with some knowledge/experience of the different groups social workers mostly help.

    Drug/alcohol services
    Adults/children with disabilities
    (Youth) offenders
    People with mental illness

    That kind of thing?
  • MrsManda
    MrsManda Posts: 4,457 Forumite
    You should have a local voluntary service. Speak to them and see what they can offer/who they can put you in touch with. When I was out of work a few years ago I went to my local voluntary service and ended up volunteering a few days a week at a softplay centre for under 5s run by one of the local churches, and also did some training with a family support association where I then got paired with a family with difficult circumstances who just needed some extra support. In my case it was a single parent family with a disabled child. If you drive, people like Help the Aged and Age Concern are often looking for drivers to take people shopping and take around meals on wheels.
    Another good place to talk to is your local hospital. They'll have a patients service for meet&greeters, hospital transport, etc.... and almost always looking for volunteers
  • First off decide what client group you want to work with eg kids, disabled, elderly etc.

    Then try your local council to see if they have anything. I volunteer for my council's Youth Offending Team, working with 10-16 year olds. It's hard work bit rewarding at times. You can also gain valuable training too, like drug&alcohol awareness etc.

    Or try Do It website for other volunteer opportunities.

    HTH

    x
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

    * Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I had a year with Victim Support and really enjoyed it.
    Perhaps a little like Social Work in-so-much that you would speak to clients who are down and try to help them.
    Many of the VS volunteers went on to work in other agencies.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

    Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • lisa*_5
    lisa*_5 Posts: 27 Forumite
    I work for a charity and provide a homelessness service for my local council. We're always looking for volunteers. You could try enquiring with your local council or your local volunteer services.
  • bestpud wrote: »
    Do you have experience with any client groups already?

    And are you looking to work with children specifically?

    I may be talking rubbish, but I think they'd like to see people with some knowledge/experience of the different groups social workers mostly help.

    Drug/alcohol services
    Adults/children with disabilities
    (Youth) offenders
    People with mental illness

    That kind of thing?

    You're quite right; the OP really needs to get experience with one or more of the client groups rather than something like Guides. Paid care work is often easy to get and would be acceptable, either working with the elderly or with people with special needs.
  • eklynne
    eklynne Posts: 2,396 Forumite
    Please don't assume being an 'older' student will be count against you in any way. Unis are very welcoming to adult returners as they are less likely to drop out and tend to gain higher marks than their younger contemporaries.
    Social science faculties in particular are very welcoming to mature students.
    Good luck with everything :)
    Come ride with me, through the veins of history...
    I'll show you how God falls asleep on the job.
    ~Matthew Bellamy.
  • Thank you for all your replies, I am interested in child/ family social work. I think I am going to spend the day on google and the phone to try and sort something. I am so excited though this is something I have wanted to do since I was 14, but I allowed myself to be swayed by other people opinions, never again, I am determined to do this now and show my children what you get from hard work!
  • Thank you for all your replies, I am interested in child/ family social work. I think I am going to spend the day on google and the phone to try and sort something. I am so excited though this is something I have wanted to do since I was 14, but I allowed myself to be swayed by other people opinions, never again, I am determined to do this now and show my children what you get from hard work!

    That's a terrific attitude; it's a wondeful incentive to children to see their parents studying by choice and to realise that education isn't just something for the young.

    I'm sure that your tutors will explain this, but don't forget that you'll need GCSE English and Maths (or equivalent) for a Social Work degree.

    Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.