We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Any advice for voluntary work?

13

Comments

  • Stubert
    Stubert Posts: 733 Forumite
    You could take a look on https://www.do-it.org.uk which has loads of local volunteering opportunities so there may be a few that are appropriate for you.
  • princess lou- I was told by my tutors that the uni will want to see proof of my GCSE's and have taken photocopies to enclose with my applications.

    katieshopstoomuch- well my start date is 15th so don't know who is on my course yet, but when I enrolled the college was full of school leavers so felt mega mega old lol. I have got 3 children DD who is 6, DS1 who is 5 and then DS2 who is nearly 3, he will be going to nursery in November so i'm hoping it will be easier to juggle things then lol. Will PM with my email address. x
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    eklynne wrote: »
    Well, I am in Scotland, maybe the entry qualifications are different. I did Access to Humanities with primary education routes, which included the core subjects of Communication 2 and Intermediate maths alongside psychology, politics and sociology. You don't need a science to be a primary teacher. The college I did it at has affiliations with the Uni I am now at doing my BEd.

    *edit*
    found the link to the course I did to get me into my teaching degree -
    http://www.scottishwideraccess.org/programmes/prog_details.php?progid=14

    Key Skills can be accepted as a qualification equivalent to GCSEs; I think that this must be the case for you. Most Access course, in my experience, don't offer Key Skills.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    edited 4 September 2009 at 3:55PM
    bestpud wrote: »
    It will be the university that asks for this qualification as far as I am aware.

    Have your current tutors not mentioned it?

    In England (can't comment on Scotland) GCSEs in English and Maths (or an equivalent qualification) are a mandatory requirement for entry to the profession.

    PrincessLou

    You really need to ensure that the Access course includes a qualification at this level or you'll finish the Access course and be stuck. There's lots of advice earlier on this thread about volunteering before applying to do Social Work, some of which may be helpful to you.
  • Narla
    Narla Posts: 188 Forumite
    Hi,

    it's great to hear that the stories in the media these days hasn't put everyone of studying to become a social worker.

    To have a good knowledge of the reasons why children become 'looked after' and the effects a neglectful start to life can have is very worthwhile to be able to discuss in Uni interviews.

    I am a social worker in voluntary fostering agency. Before anyone can be approved as a foster carer they need to attend a training course called 'the skills to foster.' This gives a really good insight into why children are removed from families and the difficulties etc this causes for them and also looks at the resons why parents can treat their children in negative ways to cause them to be removed.

    If you could get the opportunity to attend one of these courses (usually over two or three days) it would give you much needed information and the opportunity to discuss with others. You could make enquiries to local fostering teams and ask if you could take part in their next training days. I know if you were to enquire with our team we would welcome you.

    Also check out any courses - the nspcc hold some as do the local safeguarding children's board. If you were to ring them they might be able to offer you a place if they are not filled - often they are free. It's worth trying.

    I qualified at the age of 38 years old after 20 years experience working in childrens residential homes and it was still hard to get on the uni course and I had to take Psychology A level before they'd offer me a place - I had to prove I could study at the higher level needed. Anyway I did it and it's been worth every minute of hard work. Whatever you do - don't give up!

    Good luck,

    Narla x
  • Have you thought about St Andrew's Ambulance (Scottish) or St John Ambulance (English)?

    Basically you are trained to a really decent level of First Aid/First Person on Scene!
    From basic first aid - wasp stings, splinters, cups of tea and reassurance!
    To more advanced - medical collapse, spinal/neck/head injury, seizures etc

    You get to see all walks of life and the experience is really fantastic. It gives you so much confidence too.

    You cover public events around your local area or even around the country.
    From major football events, marathons, T in The Park, Concerts, Gala Days...

    Its a brilliant thing to do if your looking to go into almost any career involving working with others, from Paramedics to Teachers and Sales Assistants.

    Just search them on google for their main websites!
    St Andrew's Ambulance
    St John Ambulance
    British Red Cross
  • alwaysonthego_2
    alwaysonthego_2 Posts: 8,421 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 5 September 2009 at 7:51PM
    We get alot of SW students doing their placements at the CAB.

    I have chosen my placement for my 3rd year degree course to work with Gypsey travellers in inclusion. I chose this because I will be working with ethnic minorities and it will look good on my cv. I am in the middle of applying for my MA in social work.

    Edit- although I will have a degree when I start my MA in social work I still have to have GCSEs in English and maths.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    deano232 wrote: »
    Have you thought about St Andrew's Ambulance (Scottish) or St John Ambulance (English)?

    Basically you are trained to a really decent level of First Aid/First Person on Scene!
    From basic first aid - wasp stings, splinters, cups of tea and reassurance!
    To more advanced - medical collapse, spinal/neck/head injury, seizures etc

    You get to see all walks of life and the experience is really fantastic. It gives you so much confidence too.

    You cover public events around your local area or even around the country.
    From major football events, marathons, T in The Park, Concerts, Gala Days...

    Its a brilliant thing to do if your looking to go into almost any career involving working with others, from Paramedics to Teachers and Sales Assistants.

    Just search them on google for their main websites!
    St Andrew's Ambulance
    St John Ambulance
    British Red Cross

    Although better than nothing, I don't really think that this would be partularly appropriate experience for Social Work. You really need experience working with one or more client groups so that you can be prepared for the difficulties you might face and also the problems faced by your clients.
  • Thanku everryone 4 ur replies, really panicking now though. i have to apply for uni at xmas...
    oldernotwiser, wots this key skill? sorry if i should know this.
    im really confused because my tutor knew i had no gcse b4 i got put through??!!
  • mumps
    mumps Posts: 6,285 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Good luck with Sure Start but just thought I would say that I take Social Work students on placements. Tutors do encourage them to take placements in areas they have little or no experience in for at least one of the placements. For example I have a second year student coming to me next month, she has children and did her first placement with children but is coming to work with adults with severe mental health problems. She is nervous but it is broadening her experience and in previous years students have rethought career plans after four months with us. What I am suggesting is maybe getting some experience in an area like mental health might be valuable for you. As a Personnel Manager I have offered experience, and if appropriate paid work, to people in your position and it does seem to have helped. Just something for you to consider.
    Sell £1500

    2831.00/£1500
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.