We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Any advice for voluntary work?

24

Comments

  • Good attitude newly single! I'm also on Social Sciences access course, and will be applying for 2010 entry for the Social Work degree!! Isn't it exciting? If you are as you say 'older' at least you have a lot of life experience to offer! I found the same with surestart and homestart my local one was holding interviews but the training times are the same times i'm in college :( I've just finished doing four weeks of befriending with a local charity, just visiting those who feel isolated or haven't much family support around them. Now i'm finished that i am going to the local volunteer services council to see if i can get something else in the evenings as my tutor has said the universities i'm applying to prefer at least six months experience! Let me know how you get on in finding voluntary work :D And good luck with your course x
    Winging life....
  • Thank you all who have taken the time to reply-
    Oldernotwiser, luckily I actually like maths at school and got my GCSE maths and english, but some many people got turned away because of it.

    KatieShopstoomuch, I think I exagerated when I said 'older' I am only 27 but felt 67 surrounded by 16 yr olds lol. But now I am scared of something going wrong now- everything is just slotting together, read the local paper today and Home Start are recruting again but in a closer area than before, I have phoned up and the advisor will come and visit me once she has got all the paper work back. Luckily they do a 10 week training course run either days or evenings, with hopefully a creche facility for DS2. Would be nice to keep in touch with someone who is doing the same course. xx
  • eklynne
    eklynne Posts: 2,396 Forumite
    I'm sure that your tutors will explain this, but don't forget that you'll need GCSE English and Maths (or equivalent) for a Social Work degree.

    Good luck.
    Not if she's doing an access course. The access course is specifically designed to get people into Uni who don't have the conventional qualifications. I got into my teaching degree via access.
    Come ride with me, through the veins of history...
    I'll show you how God falls asleep on the job.
    ~Matthew Bellamy.
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    eklynne wrote: »
    Not if she's doing an access course. The access course is specifically designed to get people into Uni who don't have the conventional qualifications. I got into my teaching degree via access.

    That is incorrect.

    An Access course doesn't replace the GCSE requirement for some degrees, including teaching...

    Most people do them alongside the Access course if they don't have them.

    Are you saying you did a BEd without GCSE Maths, English and Science (latter of you are under a certain age)? If so, you shouldn't have!
  • bestpud is correct, to do the Access to social science, teaching or nursing you do need GCSE maths, english and maybe even science. I was told if you do secondary teaching you dont need GCSE you can do an equivilant course as you are specialising in a degree not just in teaching.

    There were alot of people who were turned away from the courses this year.
  • eklynne
    eklynne Posts: 2,396 Forumite
    edited 3 September 2009 at 8:26PM
    Well, I am in Scotland, maybe the entry qualifications are different. I did Access to Humanities with primary education routes, which included the core subjects of Communication 2 and Intermediate maths alongside psychology, politics and sociology. You don't need a science to be a primary teacher. The college I did it at has affiliations with the Uni I am now at doing my BEd.

    *edit*
    found the link to the course I did to get me into my teaching degree -
    http://www.scottishwideraccess.org/programmes/prog_details.php?progid=14
    Come ride with me, through the veins of history...
    I'll show you how God falls asleep on the job.
    ~Matthew Bellamy.
  • I know what you mean NS! I'm 23 next month and i feel 'old' but then there was a few my age and then i noticed somebody who must be in her 40s, luckily i mingled with a few people and got chatting so i feel more at ease it's just my timetable scareing me! Yes we should keep in touch through PM or email, online study buddys! It's always good to have support online or offline. I'm currently looking on a student social work forum to get tips on which books to read and give a mention to in my personal statement, as one of the universities i'm applying to is taking applications from the end of this month so i want to try and get most of my application filled so i can just concentrate on this course!

    Great news about home start i hope you get it all sorted, and even better if they have a creche facility, have you got two children then? I have one daughter who's 6!! (Yup i started young!)
    Winging life....
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    eklynne wrote: »
    Well, I am in Scotland, maybe the entry qualifications are different. I did Access to Humanities with primary education routes, which included the core subjects of Communication 2 and Intermediate maths alongside psychology, politics and sociology. You don't need a science to be a primary teacher. The college I did it at has affiliations with the Uni I am now at doing my BEd.

    *edit*
    found the link to the course I did to get me into my teaching degree -
    http://www.scottishwideraccess.org/programmes/prog_details.php?progid=14

    It may be different because it is specific to teaching... :confused:
  • Hi This is a thread i will be keeping a close eye on as i am a mature student doing an access course, social work.. I did not take me gcses and i got into the course no problem... ??? Am also on the look out 4 volutry wrk as have to get 120hrs under my belt b4 applying for uni.. any advice?
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    Hi This is a thread i will be keeping a close eye on as i am a mature student doing an access course, social work.. I did not take me gcses and i got into the course no problem... ??? Am also on the look out 4 volutry wrk as have to get 120hrs under my belt b4 applying for uni.. any advice?

    It will be the university that asks for this qualification as far as I am aware.

    Have your current tutors not mentioned it?
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.