Hi everyone,

I'm looking at a ring online with the below specifications;

0.70 carat
    SI1
    H Colour
    Good cut
    Platinum
    £2,549

What do you think about the price? Good? Bad? Is this around the price I would expect to pay for the same spec if I visited Hatton Garden or the Birmingham Jewellery Quarter?

Thanks

Hennree
  • gigadiamds
    Options
    LEJC is right. Besides costs, shoppers should also take into account practicality when selecting a ring.
  • Monton
    Options
    Hi guys,

I just wanted to share our story with you. My fiance and I had talked about getting engaged for a while. And whilst I had very high aspirations regarding the ring I didn't want him to have to spend a lot of money for it.

He told me how much money he wished to spend, again I didnt want him to waste a lot of his savings on my whim so, I did a lot of research.

We went to quite a few jewellers and I tried many styles on. I wanted a very blingy ring and he was more keen on a classic but after trying all these rings on we came to an understanding regarding style and size.

We planned to travel to Hatton Gardens but in the mean time I looked on EBay.

I looked for about 3 weeks and then came across a beautiful 1.00 carat solitaire H colour and SI clarity from a very expensive Jeweller in Cheshire with all packaging, valuation and certificate included and listed as brand new. All this for £2000 I contacted the seller who explained that they were selling on behalf of their mum who is elderly and won the diamond in a competition.

We rang the jeweller who confirmed this was true and after visiting the lady to try the ring on we managed to agree a price of £1300.

The jeweller has now issued a second valuation letter in our name for insurance purposes as well as registering the ring as ours and extended their after care which includes all checks and cleans for life. The ring has been valued at £5900 by an independent jeweller (we wanted a second opinion) which is what the ring is insured for (and what the original jewellers valued the ring at). So now we have peace of mind as the ring gets cleaned by this expensive jeweller and they check the prongs for free too.

So, there are a lot of bargains to be had. I love my beautiful ring, the diamond is so full of fire and it is so impressive there is no way we could have afforded to spend £6k plus for it (the lady won the £5k diamond and the jeweller made the ring to the ladies' taste which she paid for) but it sure is nice to have such a beautiful piece of jewellery. Every time I go to pay for something in the shops people comment on how sparkly and big it is.

We are now looking for our wedding rings and I hope we can find them in the same way as I now realise that a little bit of hard work can save you a LOT of money!

Good luck! I hope others can share their stories as we often see friends getting themselves in debt to buy "the ring" and we are living proof that can have it as long as you are willing to wait and do some leg work.

:-)
  • Boyknowhow
    Options
    I was researching a lot, and I have found something very interewsting and helpful. You can try on paveb jewelry, for me they were very useful.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,765 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Boyknowhow
    I think you have joined this website just to advertise.
  • happygandb
    Options
    Well, i think that $3000 to $5000 is enough for a ring. If situation does not allows that much to be spend, you need to find something affordable, with good design. I can recommend you something like R&R Jewelers to look their offer.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    happygandb wrote: »
    Well, i think that $3000 to $5000 is enough for a ring. If situation does not allows that much to be spend, you need to find something affordable, with good design. I can recommend you something like R&R Jewelers to look their offer.
    And where exactly is R&R Jewellers, happygandb?
    Are you based in the UK or US?
    Might they just be across the Atlantic? smiley-rolleyes010.gif

I said the following to the poster before you - and I think you are doing exactly the same:
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I think you have joined this website just to advertise.
  • busybee100
    busybee100 Posts: 1,530 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's the same person Pollycat.
    From the other thread
    happygandb wrote: »
    I believe I know what are you talking about.I was searching a ring for my dear and couldn't find anything that is in some price range that we can afford. We have found good deal on R&R Jewelers we are so happy.
    Boyknowhow wrote: »
    I think you can try with paveb.com, they have very good offer. I am very satisfied with this and my dear is.:j
  • Judylou
    Options
    16011996 wrote: »
    spend what you can afford. no pooint getting into debt before you start. (oh and my brother says keep the reciept, i apologise for him!! don't normally let him sit in)

I agree with you, also money that you think to spend can be for something else. And later no one will say I can not afford to have a child. I have bought my ring at marymargrill.com and I am very satisfied, and they also help other people. Spreading good vibes.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    Judylou wrote: »
    I agree with you, also money that you think to spend can be for something else. And later no one will say I can not afford to have a child. I have bought my ring at xxxxxxxxxxx.com and I am very satisfied, and they also help other people. Spreading good vibes.

Actually what you are spreading is advertising - and that is not allowed on here.
    Your post has been reported.
    I have removed the name of your company from your post above.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure