Engagement Rings (merged)

Options

Comments

• heartbreak_star
    Options
    You buy what you can afford and what you find attractive :)

I'd be happy with a silver and CZ ring if it came with a proposal :'(

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • lucky_charm_2
    Options
    You buy what you can afford and what you find attractive :)

I'd be happy with a silver and CZ ring if it came with a proposal :'(

HBS x

Me too! I don't even want diamond/ gold unless its ethical (i.e no blood diamonds and recycled gold) which is really expensive so really I'd be happier with a cheaper metal and stone anyway.
  • Peanut2013
    Peanut2013 Posts: 366 Forumite
    Options
    I have a silver ring with no stones. It's completely untraditional but I loved it and had to have it! :)
  • Chimpofdoom
    Chimpofdoom Posts: 806 Forumite
    Options
    I'm lucky to know an independent jeweler, he told me to go find a ring my fiancee liked and he'd make it, so found the ring, he said he could make it for half the price that it was in the shop, so I upped the diamond size.

Luckily, we both want simple wedding bands and he said to come speak to him again!
    :exclamatiTo the internet.. I need to complain about something!
  • tigertink
    tigertink Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

My fiance bought my engagement ring from goldsmiths in Jan which is so beautiful. However when having a little look online for some other jewellery under the same range I noticed it had been reduced by £600!! My fiance is livid not that he lost out on the money but the fact that he feels like they have sold him a ring that is worth less than what he paid. Im upset too does this mean my ring is now worth less? We feel like we've been cheated and conned. I understand that rings may go down in the sale but by 600 quid!!! What makes matters worse is that we have finance on it so were paying back more than what there selling it for! Surely there not allowed to do this?
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    Options
    im really sorry you feel the way you do Tigertink....but the shop has done nothing wrong...and I know its dissapointing when something you pay good money for then goes in a sale at a cheaper price...but im afraid thats something that happens in lots of walks of life.

most conditions of sale items mean that in order to take money off an item it has to have been displayed at a higher price for a period of time beforehand...and it would appear that in your case you bought the ring when it was at the pre sale price.

If the boot were on the other foot and you saw the ring now you would probably buy it because to you it may well seem very good value...its like all sale items really...when you get a bargain youre chuffed if you bought it before the sale it doesnt mean you were ripped off!

What you have is a lovely ring that was given to you a token to show commitment and the start of your life together.Dont forget that youve also had the benefit of wearing that ring since you got engaged.

I suppose another question you need to ask yourself is actually is the price of the ring relevant...yes I understand that you might want it to increase in value,and hopefully it will,but will you ever achieve that value in the ring?...my husband bought me my engagement ring and it cost a good price when he got it,its worth a lot more now because its increased in value...but do i care...no...because id never sell it so its value is not my top priority....my ring is of course insured,as yours should be but even if i lost it the amount i got back would never replace that ring.
    Just because your ring is now being sold at a cheaper price by the shop doesn't make it any less of a ring than when your OH purchased it and proposed.
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    tigertink wrote: »
    Hi

My fiance bought my engagement ring from goldsmiths in Jan which is so beautiful. However when having a little look online for some other jewellery under the same range I noticed it had been reduced by £600!! My fiance is livid not that he lost out on the money but the fact that he feels like they have sold him a ring that is worth less than what he paid. Im upset too does this mean my ring is now worth less? We feel like we've been cheated and conned. I understand that rings may go down in the sale but by 600 quid!!! What makes matters worse is that we have finance on it so were paying back more than what there selling it for! Surely there not allowed to do this?

I'm not sure that this is really a rip off. yes you are annoyed, but it happens with lots of things, holidays are a good example.

Your OH paid a price he was happy with (or else he wouldn't have paid it) so he's not been ripped off.

As to whether it is worth less now, you will need the valuation certificate and diamond certificate and then work out gold costs etcs. If you are meaning in regards to insurance, I would perhaps speak to your insurance company.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • moogle87
    moogle87 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    I've been given a beautiful marquise engagement ring from my fiance, which I love.

However, I'm a little confused as when we went to pick the diamond we were told that the cut was Good. However, when we had it valued for the contents insurance it has been listed as Good - Fair for the cut.

The dimensions are listed as the following:
    8.03 x 4.02 x 2.42 and the depth is 60.2%

After doing some reading and working out the length to width ratio I've calculated it as being 1.99:1.
    This seems to be a good ratio.
    And from what I've read 60.2% is also a good depth.

Can anybody explain why they have said that it is only Good - Fair?

I still love the ring and the colour is an F, so it is really clear and sparkly (to me anyway!) but I just feel a little confused at the valuation certificate.

Thanks!
  • SmallL
    SmallL Posts: 944 Forumite
    Options
    My partner proposed to me last wednesday with a token ring, we had previously discussed that i would prefer to choose the ring (plus he didn't think much of his own taste!).
    I'm now excitedly looking at 'real' rings, which is proving a challenge due to my picky taste!
    Im looking for sapphire (as the focal stone/s) and diamonds on a white gold band.
    Originally i wasn't keen on a solitare/cluster style but the token ring is in such a style and im warming to it!

Can anyone reccomend online retailers to have a look at? Im currently in the process of looking in shops, but its been rather fruitless at the moment, sapphires almost black or cloudy, settings not to my liking etc
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    SmallL wrote: »
    My partner proposed to me last wednesday with a token ring, we had previously discussed that i would prefer to choose the ring (plus he didn't think much of his own taste!).
    I'm now excitedly looking at 'real' rings, which is proving a challenge due to my picky taste!
    Im looking for sapphire (as the focal stone/s) and diamonds on a white gold band.
    Originally i wasn't keen on a solitare/cluster style but the token ring is in such a style and im warming to it!

Can anyone reccomend online retailers to have a look at? Im currently in the process of looking in shops, but its been rather fruitless at the moment, sapphires almost black or cloudy, settings not to my liking etc

If you are serious about getting a ring that you are going to cherish for years, make a trip to the Birmingham jewellery quarter and get a ring made to your own design. This is what we did for my wife's wedding ring. It's unique and cost less than a mass produced ring from a high street or online retailer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure