edited 9 September 2009 at 6:36PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.1K replies 73.5K views

Replies

• mooominmooomin Forumite
    13.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sistercas wrote: »
    completely lost the plot, my 2 DD's have swine flu and it has cost me fortune in paracetamol, ibuprofen, throat sweets ( strepsil £3.50 a packet :eek:) and they have requested magazines ( essential to their recovery apparently ;))
    A packet of Sudafed and a box of tissues cost me £5.56 at the weekend, I could have cried. Still, Sudafed is amazing so it was worth it. Just wish I could shift this cough now.

Mr Fresian has now come down with the cold too so I have just put some chilli in the slow cooker for dinner tonight with extra chilli powder to clear our collective sinuses :rotfl: I'm not going to work today and am planning on snoozing for most of the day.

Zzzz.....
  • Morning everyone

Hope you are all keeping well and those of you with SF start to feel better very very soon - big hugs to you

DH id still in pain but I've made a Docs app for him for later as he needs stronger pain killers, especially to see him through the night, didn't realise that a broken pinky could cause so much havoc!!! I am feeling for him but already want him back at work - my whole routine is disrupted and I was only just getting back on top of it after the school hols - why do they make the hols so long!!!!!

Off to do some cleaning now see you all later - and no spending!

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • XSpenderXSpender Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning

Two small spends to add to my total over the last couple of days. With the morning sickness and the redundancy looming I have not meal planned and have bought more frozen stuff as I don't have the stomach or right frame of mind for cooking but I actually seem to be doing better on the challenge this month:confused:

I think it is because there is easy stuff in the freezer so I can just whip something in the oven for tea rather than eat a take away or go to the shop for tea and end up spending 20 quid:o

I have just found over a dozen eggs in the fridge that run out on saturday so I need to get cooking with them. Egg sarnies for me and OH tomorrow, a big cheese and onion quiche and a cake or 2 should use them all up I think.

XS
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Welcome notjustlaura :beer: and well done everybody! It's September 15th so we're officially half-way there!

A speedy update.... Spent £ 8.48 yesterday ---> now £152.74 left in the pot.

Have a good day everybody!
  • xspender - i know how you feel!!! I really do not feel like cooking as i feel so poorly!! :(:( today i need to go shopping but i am dreeding it!! I really am not sure i will make it round mr ts without the morning sickness kicking in!!!

So tonight we will either have nothing to eat as i didnt make it or i am sure to have just chucked anything in the trolley to get round quicker and spent a fortune :( wish me luck........
    GC: Nov: £60.22/£450 Oct: £338.48/£450, July: £363.05/£450, June £447.98/£500
    £2 savers No68: £104/£100 :j
    :jmummy to: 8yr, 5yr, 3yr, 2yr, 1yr. No6 Due Mar 2013 My world.:j
  • helen jelly - sorry to hear about your DH's broken Pinky - hope the new Pain killers help.

Hugs also to all those who are suffering with Swine Flu, colds and morning sickness.:grouphug:

Welcome also to the Newbies - you will gets lot of support on here.;)

Been in the Kitchen all morning, made a Cornish Pasty Pie from "Delia Smith's complete cookery" book for Dinner tonight, also got another bowl of Xmas Pud mix made to soak overnight as making a couple of extra Puds for Friends. Had 2 lemons left from the bag that I bought so made some Lemon Curd too - going to have some lunch now and then must get on with some Housework - the good thing about being busy is it should be another NSD today.:D

Have a good afternoon everyone.;)
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• I am officially spent up. That didn't quite work. Hmm.
    All jokes aside I have a freezer and storecupboard full and plenty of fresh fruit and veg for us all, which is what took me to the limit. Will do some batch cooking tonight.
    Can someone tell me the best way to store fresh veg - ie to freeze it. I asked on a thread before and being a bit new to this game I can't remember where I asked so can't see the reply! sorry!
    Do I need to par boil (is that also called blaching?) and then freeze when cool?

Thanks in advance.
    PS the milk we'll need for rest of month is being bought by OH :-) Lets see how it goes.

xxxxx
  • scotsaver wrote: »
    helen jelly - sorry to hear about your DH's broken Pinky - hope the new Pain killers help.

Hugs also to all those who are suffering with Swine Flu, colds and morning sickness.:grouphug:

Welcome also to the Newbies - you will gets lot of support on here.;)

Been in the Kitchen all morning, made a Cornish Pasty Pie from "Delia Smith's complete cookery" book for Dinner tonight, also got another bowl of Xmas Pud mix made to soak overnight as making a couple of extra Puds for Friends. Had 2 lemons left from the bag that I bought so made some Lemon Curd too - going to have some lunch now and then must get on with some Housework - the good thing about being busy is it should be another NSD today.:D

Have a good afternoon everyone.;)
    Would you be kind enough to share your Xmas pud recipe and method pls?

x
  • cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Veg - I blanche cauli, brocolli and carrots. Mushrooms I freeze 'as is' - either whole or chopped or sliced. Peppers I just slice and freeze. Onions I just dice (very finely) as I would if cooking with them immediately and freeze pre-cooked.

About to try leek, celery and white cabbage today - just chopping/shredding and lobbing in those....... Would have to chuck them if I weren't trying this approach, so nothing to lose really ;)
    Cheryl
    Grocery Budget : January £155. Spent £33.75 in shops + £0.00 from stocks = £32.45
    Grocery Budget : 2021 £1825. Spent £33.75 in shops + £0.00 from stocks = £32.45
  • Hello everyone, I am hoping to join in proper come October (wasn't organised enough to do Sept) but am working on using up stuff this month (so actually spending very little) and I am being bold, but not counting my daily or every-other-daily coffee as I pre-stock my Starb***s card (I DO make sure to get my extra free shot daily and go for smaller cups as a result). This month though, we are still awash with veggies from plot, and using up things we bought in UK when on hols.

Only had to buy 2 dinners worth of meat (joint bacon - 5.99, and ribs and burgers - 12.03 and butcher let me off the 3c), fruit and some veg (€24.40), milk and bread (€7.39) and OH bought cereal and bread last night (€4.96). Should see us to the weekend.
    Meals this week are:
    Sat - BBQ (to take advantage of one of the VERY rare nice days so splurged)
    Sun - bacon and homegrown cabbage and HG potatoes
    Mon - pasta and cheese sauce with leftover bacon, bought mushrooms and peppers, and HG courgette, squash, peas, french beans, mangetout, sweetcorn, onion and garlic. (1 portion for OH lunch tomorrow and 1 in freezer)
    Tonight - Chorizo (half a Lidl one from fridge) and HG potato bake (with jar tomato and chilli sauce already in cupboard)
    Tomorrow - Prawns (from freezer, half price few weeks ago) sweet'n'sour (cheap packet sauce, loads extra HG veggies) and rice
    Thurs - Nasi goreng with tin basics tuna and leftover rice and more veggies
    Fri - Chicken gougons (frozen during a 2for 1 offer few weeks back) and potato wedges (HM)
    Lunches - sambos from home using basics cooked meats and tomatoes and cheese
    GC 2010 €6,000/ €5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: €6,000/
    €5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr €587.82/€550 May €453.31 /€550
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cut overdraft charges

10 tips to pay less for your overdraft + how to pay it off

MSE Guides

FREE tennis coaching

Find your nearest session and pre-book your place online