September 2009 Grocery Challenge

edited 9 September 2009 at 6:36PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.1K replies 73.5K views

Replies

• Thanks, Ellemm! I've always loved cooking and used to do loads when we were first married (10 years ago), but I've been in a bad place mentally since having DS and had managed to convince myself I didn't have the energy to plan and cook ahead etc. Am getting loads better now and *needing* to reduce costs now is the incentive I needed to get into it again, and not feel guilty about all the time I was spending in the kitchen. And if DS will help me, I don't have to feel guilty about not spending time with him too! :-)
    I'm broke, not poor. Poor sounds permanent, broke can be fixed. (Thoroughly Modern Millie)
    LBM June 2009, Debt Free (except mortgage) Sept 2016 - DONE IT!
  • lil_melil_me Forumite
    13.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bother, I am at £128 so far

If you online shop and want to try Sainsburys, this cashback site is offering £10 cashback for new customers (I shall be ordering on behalf of my partner :D ) http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/lil_me my referal linky
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • Quick question: do you mention when you've bought something like a hot chocolate at work or whatever? TIA
    May Wins: 2 x Beauty Brilliance Multipurpose Highlighter Sticks in pink and gold, Cellulite buster cream, Garnier eye roll-on stuff and James Brown Hair Mask.

Nov/Dec Freebies: Pantene Conditioner, Stay Matte Foundation.
  • edited 17 September 2009 at 7:23PM
    freakyogrefreakyogre Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    edited 17 September 2009 at 7:23PM
    Went into town earlier as needed to get the paper(s) and some milk. Also got a TV guide, some butter/stork and some bananas. Total of £3.72.

Made some broccoli soup earlier so i'll have some of that for lunch later. I'm going to make some red pepper houmous later as need chickpeas for a recipe i'm doing tonight, but only 1/4 of a tin.
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
  • cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Steph112 wrote: »
    Quick question: do you mention when you've bought something like a hot chocolate at work or whatever? TIA
    It's not essential to list everything you buy (I normally only do so after a brilliant Whoopsie haul ;) )

As to whether you add it to your signature/count it as money from your GB budget or not really depends on what you intend your budget to cover. If I buy drinks or anything while out and about then I add it in.
    Cheryl
    Grocery Budget : January £155. Spent £33.75 in shops + £0.00 from stocks = £32.45
    Grocery Budget : 2021 £1825. Spent £33.75 in shops + £0.00 from stocks = £32.45
  • hi all, just been catching up and realised that this month I have had a staggering 10 NSD's!!! I don't think I have ever done that. I usually pop into the village most days to get a little something - even just a paper as it gets me and the kids out of the house.

Spent another £9.89 since yesterday so will go over budget - I have £18 left in my purse (thanks to MIL) until next friday so I don't think I will do too badly! Have Chicken Kievs (in somerfield were 100% extra free and then whoopsied to half price!!!) and Jacket potatoes (85p for 4) for dinner tonight. Must dash again as I need to put the kids potatoes in the oven and then pick ds up from school! will update signature another time!!
    FebGC
    wk1 £0/£100 NSD's 0/7
    wk2
    wk3
    wk4
    Total £0/400
  • Can I ask what does NSD stand for have tried to work it out but it has me stumped
    :wave: Kate :hello:
  • cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    NSD = No Shopping Day, or No Spend Day
    Cheryl
    Grocery Budget : January £155. Spent £33.75 in shops + £0.00 from stocks = £32.45
    Grocery Budget : 2021 £1825. Spent £33.75 in shops + £0.00 from stocks = £32.45
  • Thank you - it is obvious once you know actually having one may not be so easy lol
    :wave: Kate :hello:
  • jayjay14 - congrats on the NSDs. I'm going for one myself today :)

sistercas - so sorry about the swine flu. Could daughters be pacified with new books from the library?

Christmas pud? Can I come a visit, scotsaver?

Welcome to yummyhoney. This is my first time too :)

Angelfeathers - I'm 36 and I *still* love cleaning the bowls! Sounds like you had a really good day :)

steph112 - I would count things like a hot chocolate at work or out with friends, etc but I think it depends how *you* want to do it. You might have a separate 'treats' budget rather than putting it in your grocery budget.

Congrats on the NSDs, yummymummy05!

nannyboo1 - NSD = No Spend Day

Yesterday I did get out to the shops as I gave in and took some Immodium-alike to deal with the upset tum. So I've done my main, weekly shop and bought petrol and a card for my father's birthday and still have ... um ... £13.38 left. *And* that's taking into account spending £14 on the flea treatments the cats need (yes, this is expensive but it's necessary as William has funny skin). I've also been and paid the garage which was painful but also necessary.

I'm going for an NSD today but will need to go to ASDA tomorrow for NRT patches which will be about £7.50. (I know I could get these free from the Dr but I quit better when I'm investing money in the project.) I don't think I need anything else for the rest of the week so may have a small treat for doing well or bank the money that's over.

Thanks so much for having this thread - it's really working to keep me focussed and motivated.

Laura (who is about to update her sig.)
    Household: Laura + William-cat
    Not Buying It in 2015
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides