PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Frugal but happy in winter?

Options

Comments

• Patchwork_Quilt
    Options
    Our stove made us very happy last winter and saved us money too - DD was at Uni so when DS was out we only heated the living room.

I used real ivy and holly from the garden as decorations at Christmas too, rather than buying long wreaths of plastic.

Lastly, our crocheted blankets were great on a chilly night when it wasn't cool enough to light a fire.
  • Ada_Doom
    Options
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/oct/31/jeanette-winterson-night-guide

Read this! I love her descriptions of the unique pleasures of autumn and winter, of walks home in the dark and comforting home cooked food.
  • jd1000
    Options
    Great article, thanks.
    Never thought about it, but I guess it really does make sense to eat seasonable vegetables etc at this time of year in order to get the most benefit.
  • Popperwell
    Options
    jd1000 wrote: »
    Great article, thanks.
    Never thought about it, but I guess it really does make sense to eat seasonable vegetables etc at this time of year in order to get the most benefit.

You know more than ever I enjoy what would be called "Comfort food" mostly its cheaper, tasty and simple to prepare and gives all the vitamins and minerals needed and as we go back to many recipes that were used when food was not as plentiful but people were probably more healthy. And we ate less...
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • tina_malteser
    Options
    Can i bump this post plz ??
    Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, And Today is a Gift, That's Why it's Called The Present
    20p jar £1.20:j Mr M saver stamps £7.00 Mr Ice stamps £3.00
  • lindseykim13
    lindseykim13 Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    Options
    Can i bump this post plz ??

Glad you did, i also find the winter misserable when you have to be os and not have the heating or lights on much. Cold and dark early not a good combo.
    We've been trying to go out at least once a week for a nice walk and picnic even if in the car after. It does help. :)
  • tina_malteser
    Options
    Im lucky to like all seasons but much prefer autumn/winter
    My Mum made it enjoyable for us as children in the 70's..in the days when different areas had power supplies cut..not sure if it was set days or times (must txt her and ask) but our primary school used to close at 3.45pm but that got pushed back to 3.15pm, but on wintry days she would meet my sisters and me and we'd rush home and change into night-dresses, we'd have a snack b4 tea..Mum would have our colouring books and crayons on the kitchen table, or comic books and sit in the kitchen while she made the tea, Candles would be
    ready to light playing cards at the ready for after tea and power off, during winter we would sit looking out the window watching ppl run past in the rain while we were snug inside:j idont remember watching much tv in those days except Play Away:j
    And tonight im sitting with pjs on Candles on, nothing much changed in 40 yrs for me:rotfl:
    Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, And Today is a Gift, That's Why it's Called The Present
  • Rowan9
    Rowan9 Posts: 2,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lovely post Tina! Has made me feel nostalgic. I, too, still enjoy candelight. It's so cosy.
    I enjoyed reading the Jeanette Winterson piece - thanks Ada.
    Off through to my cold bedroom but will soon be snug. hhmm after saying that, it's quite mild tonight!
    W
  • tina_malteser
    Options
    so i txt my mother and she said power cuts were due to miners strike and they were at set times and days, i think we are not far from those days again so im going to be prepared haha x candles, monopoly and cards by candle-light Ahh those were the days x
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,188 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I dislike winter. I've lived here all my life and still struggle to think it 'normal' for it to be dark at 4 or 5pm. I suspect that I suffer a little with SAD.

Last year at this time I was going through a bad emotional time (loss of job, close relative hospitalised) and in order to get thru it I had to come up with some coping strategies which I've also done for this year.

Firstly instead of thinking it's dark, therefore it is bed-time, I forced myself to think 'it's still only 7pm, that's still early enough to nip to my mates for a cuppa' and that's what I did. I also gave myself something to look forward to every so many weeks. Prior to this I could have quite happily slept from after Bonfire Night till early March with just a week or so wake up for Christmas which I enjoy. So for me, I had a get together with a group of woman early Nov, followed by a mini-trip with hubby and friends late Nov and then another meet up with my girlie friends for the very beginning of Feb.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport