PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Frugal but happy in winter?

Options

Comments

• Molly41
    Molly41 Posts: 4,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Ive got my candle lit already today although it's a summery smell. I love autumn, conkers, Halloween, Bonfire night then the run up to Christmas. I do struggle a little in the early months of the year but also love hunkering down with candles and lots of tea x
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Feeling decidedly autumnal already........:rotfl:
  • Maitane
    Maitane Posts: 360 Forumite
    Options
    Feeling decidedly autumnal already........:rotfl:
    I second that - it's flaming freezing in North West Wales. The DH swears that living with central heating has softened us up - I say it's why we've not suffered half as many colds though :p

I'm kind of looking forward to autumn and winter - I prefer warm comfort food and it's hard to convince people that a nice bowl of chicken and vegetable soup is a nice dinner when it's warm out.
    Plus winter clothing is so much better - no see-through t-shirts, nice chunky scarves and boots, the wardrobe is being switched already.
    My only problem is having to prepare for spider season but a good clean of the house and spider deterrent spray does make everywhere spotless and nice smelling.

Anyone else already prepping? :D
    "We always find something, hey Didi, to give us the impression we exist?" Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot.
    DFW Club number 1212 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • LadyhavershamLost
    Options
    The annual calls of "muuuuuummmmmmm - there's a spider in my room" have started to be heard at bedtime!

I am on the hunt for a spider deterrent - no conkers yet!
  • jackrabbit123
    Options
    LadyhavershamLost The annual calls of "muuuuuummmmmmm - there's a spider in my room" have started to be heard at bedtime!

I am on the hunt for a spider deterrent - no conkers yet!

In our house it's DDDDDSSSSS - there's a spider in my room :rotfl:, DS then picks it up whilst it crawls all over his arms ( and falls off numerous times!) then says I should get over my fear of spiders he's not going to be here forever to get them, DH just says leave them alone they are not harming you ( even the really big ones!!) and won't do anything unless I badger him to moving them outside!!
  • Linz4383
    Linz4383 Posts: 319 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Just giving this thread a bump now it's started to cool down!
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Quite dark and overcast here today, although still warm. I think the forecast for this week is fairly cloudy most days. It does give you a feel of winter though when it is overcast, although I think we still have some nice weather to come. September and October are usually fairly settled.

One thing I have noticed is that some trees are already turning, I suppose that is due to all the hot weather, the trees just shutting down early to conserve energy because they didn't get enough water in the summer.

I shall be moving house soon and I have already started thinking about winter. My new house has one open fireplace and one with a nice open fire effect gas fire. It will be so nice to have firelight again.
    Whilst living here I bought a little bioethanol fire because I missed having flames to look at. :rotfl:
  • Elona_2
    Elona_2 Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    LL

When I bought this house it had a multifuel stove which I was really excited about until my youngest said she was worried about me emptying and refilling the fuel etc and would like me too have an easier and quicker solution. I got a bit offended till I found the stove had not been correctly installed and had scorched the wall !!!!!!!!!!! I now have a fire that looks like coal but is modern and instant and in case of power cuts etc. I have a kelly kettle ,a gas hob and hot water bottles etc.

A dd has a fire that will burn logs and other fuels and is really happy with it. I have been looking at Dave King the natural weather forecaster and he does not seem to be suggesting a bad winter so far but it will do no harm to have stocks of tinned, dried and canned and frozen foods. toiletries, hot water bottles, throws,blankets etc.
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Last winter, we got int9 a very lazy habit of using the tumble dryer and with current escalating energy costs it's not sustainable.

I invested in a second Lakeland airer, and have banned the tumble except of finishing off bedding, we obviously haven't needed that this summer.

We have a multi wood stove too, Bank holiday weekend will be used to chop and stack seasoned logs all ready to go
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • WeegieWumman
    WeegieWumman Posts: 325 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 August 2018 at 9:54PM
    Options
    I, personally, prefer being frugal & happy in summer.

No freezing my rear-end off when outdoors.
    Day trips to the beach, countryside etc.
    Walks in the park in the evenings.
    My fuel bills cost considerably less.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills