We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Frugal but happy in winter?

1…457910

Comments

  • Molly41
    Molly41 Posts: 4,919 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Ive got my candle lit already today although it's a summery smell. I love autumn, conkers, Halloween, Bonfire night then the run up to Christmas. I do struggle a little in the early months of the year but also love hunkering down with candles and lots of tea x
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Feeling decidedly autumnal already........:rotfl:
  • Maitane
    Maitane Posts: 360 Forumite
    Feeling decidedly autumnal already........:rotfl:
    I second that - it's flaming freezing in North West Wales. The DH swears that living with central heating has softened us up - I say it's why we've not suffered half as many colds though :p

    I'm kind of looking forward to autumn and winter - I prefer warm comfort food and it's hard to convince people that a nice bowl of chicken and vegetable soup is a nice dinner when it's warm out.
    Plus winter clothing is so much better - no see-through t-shirts, nice chunky scarves and boots, the wardrobe is being switched already.
    My only problem is having to prepare for spider season but a good clean of the house and spider deterrent spray does make everywhere spotless and nice smelling.

    Anyone else already prepping? :D
    "We always find something, hey Didi, to give us the impression we exist?" Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot.
    DFW Club number 1212 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • The annual calls of "muuuuuummmmmmm - there's a spider in my room" have started to be heard at bedtime!

    I am on the hunt for a spider deterrent - no conkers yet!
  • LadyhavershamLost The annual calls of "muuuuuummmmmmm - there's a spider in my room" have started to be heard at bedtime!

    I am on the hunt for a spider deterrent - no conkers yet!


    In our house it's DDDDDSSSSS - there's a spider in my room :rotfl:, DS then picks it up whilst it crawls all over his arms ( and falls off numerous times!) then says I should get over my fear of spiders he's not going to be here forever to get them, DH just says leave them alone they are not harming you ( even the really big ones!!) and won't do anything unless I badger him to moving them outside!!
  • Linz4383
    Linz4383 Posts: 319 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary
    Just giving this thread a bump now it's started to cool down!
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Quite dark and overcast here today, although still warm. I think the forecast for this week is fairly cloudy most days. It does give you a feel of winter though when it is overcast, although I think we still have some nice weather to come. September and October are usually fairly settled.

    One thing I have noticed is that some trees are already turning, I suppose that is due to all the hot weather, the trees just shutting down early to conserve energy because they didn't get enough water in the summer.

    I shall be moving house soon and I have already started thinking about winter. My new house has one open fireplace and one with a nice open fire effect gas fire. It will be so nice to have firelight again.
    Whilst living here I bought a little bioethanol fire because I missed having flames to look at. :rotfl:
  • Elona_2
    Elona_2 Posts: 361 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    LL

    When I bought this house it had a multifuel stove which I was really excited about until my youngest said she was worried about me emptying and refilling the fuel etc and would like me too have an easier and quicker solution. I got a bit offended till I found the stove had not been correctly installed and had scorched the wall !!!!!!!!!!! I now have a fire that looks like coal but is modern and instant and in case of power cuts etc. I have a kelly kettle ,a gas hob and hot water bottles etc.

    A dd has a fire that will burn logs and other fuels and is really happy with it. I have been looking at Dave King the natural weather forecaster and he does not seem to be suggesting a bad winter so far but it will do no harm to have stocks of tinned, dried and canned and frozen foods. toiletries, hot water bottles, throws,blankets etc.
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,626 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Last winter, we got int9 a very lazy habit of using the tumble dryer and with current escalating energy costs it's not sustainable.

    I invested in a second Lakeland airer, and have banned the tumble except of finishing off bedding, we obviously haven't needed that this summer.

    We have a multi wood stove too, Bank holiday weekend will be used to chop and stack seasoned logs all ready to go
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

    £300/£130
  • WeegieWumman
    WeegieWumman Posts: 325 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    edited 19 August 2018 at 9:54PM
    I, personally, prefer being frugal & happy in summer.

    No freezing my rear-end off when outdoors.
    Day trips to the beach, countryside etc.
    Walks in the park in the evenings.
    My fuel bills cost considerably less.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.