Any teachers out there

Options

Comments

• jackie_w
    jackie_w Posts: 1,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you Gingham,

This was the reason why i didnt want to take it away from him altogether because he does love the playstation although I have to admit im kicking myself now cos I wish I had never gotten him one, but I suppose thats just kids for you.

Last night he said he was sorry for not apologising, and I gave him a cuddle and told him he would need to concentrate a bit better, and said he should speak to his teacher and attend the homework club, so hopefully this will happen soon.

Im just really worried about him, and dont know how to help him.
  • eira
    eira Posts: 611 Forumite
    edited 26 August 2009 at 1:00PM
    Options
    The BBC have a fantastic website that covers a lot of the curriculum-and it's fun. Coxhoe Primary school has links to different websites-although it is primary it's very useful-especially for reinforcing skiils

I would add that if children do have 'difficulties'-and I use this advisedly as it doesn't necessarily mean anything sinister or massive- teaching and learning have to be targeted

I have dyscalculia. I was regularly punished at school-after the carrots had ceased to work. Made no difference. I can't retain my times tables but I've found that you can work from using 2/5/10 tables. I have to use a calculator for 'problems' I have found schools persist in trying to ram mental arithmetic down the throats of children who can't manage. Give them alternative strategies and they learn and the stress goes down. In my case I found a checkout job in a department store managing giving change a recipe for a breakdown-the effort of managing the counting was massive. But I did a financial planning certificate (would you believe it !) ,and did Statistics as part of a Psychology degree.

Ironically I'm good at explaining Maths to children with difficulties because I have to use strategies to get round the difficulties.

The key is-find out the difficulties first. If you talk to people you will find a number of people with low level 'difficulties' who had struggles in school
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,112 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I would get rid of the PS3 for now, and buy him a second hand Nintendo DS (quite cheap now the new one is out) with the "educational" games like braintraining. That way he gets to use a computer on his own, but will learn maths at the same time.

Do you and your OH have any particular interests or hobbies that he could get involved in? Has he shown any interest in mechanics i.e. pulling things to bits to see how they work?
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Gingham_Ribbon Posts: 31,520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Jackie, I hope his teacher gets back to you soon and is prepared to work with you to get to the bottom of the problem. In the meantime, it's worth looking at the book I suggested. And don't underestimate the power of a long walk or drive, just the 2 of you. When you're not face to face, the opportunity to say more than he might otherwise may just help!
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Options
    jackie_w wrote: »

Oh and for one poster in particular - with regards to my son not having any opinions and his opinions not being listened to!!!!!!! ive got no idea how you "think you know this" and how you think is evident from what you are reading!!!!! Im amazed that you seem to think you know how my husband and I treat my son and how you seem to know what my son needs from just reading on here.
    You are just being ignored from now on, cos your nothing but a time waster as far as i concerned, and are very jumped up about your opinion as one poster said.

But to every other poster thank you very much.

Ho hum. Of course, the posters you agree with do know enough from what you have put on here.

GinghamRibbon is with it - the title of the book she suggested. Pink shoes too, with the taking things apart..

I'll take any amount of indignation from you, your lad is worth more than that. You are holding a blow torch to him, when you should be looking for his inner spark.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • kitty_cat_2
    Options
    hes okay, talks all the time. Mixes better with adults than children. He doesnt have an awaful lot of friends, infact all of his primary school teachers have said he is very selective of his friends. Has had the same friend all the way through school. he isnt very confident, wont go to any clubs ie football, karate etc.
    Hes very kind and loving and great with his little brother, although, i think the hormones are kicking in because he sometimes has an "attitude" on him, but generally good.

wants to sit in playing the PS3 all the time "talking to his friends through it, kind of like msn, but on the playstation". I have to force him to go out.

This could be my DS, he's 11 and starting comp next week :confused:
  • SwitchyChick
    Options
    You are holding a blow torch to him, when you should be looking for his inner spark.

Time to make use of the 'Ignore' list and then at least you don't have to read stuff like this!
    Mortgage #1 Oct 2008: £130,000
    Mortgage #2 Jun 2010: £60,000
    Both completely offset: 22/12/2011
  • patchwork_cat
    patchwork_cat Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    edited 26 August 2009 at 1:45PM
    Options
    Thanks. Obviously you care for him at least in terms of externals, but I am concerned more about an interest in the things which interest him. Your response here talks volumes.

Most children will want to tell you things and talk about things and if they have a real problem in that area it will be seen by about the age of 6, I imagine. But you are only talking about 'always on at him'. On his behalf, I have to say damn you, you are only interested in your agenda of clean teeth, doing homework and tidying his room, you have nearly killed any spark of interest he has in anything. At risk of making you angry with him, I think he is sticking 2 fingers up at you, for always being wrapped up in your own agenda and not letting him have an agenda of his own interests.

Watch out, I think you have very little time [2 or 3 months?] to fix this, or you are going to have a permanently unhappy and unfulfilled child who will drift as an adult with no concept of what it means to be fulfilled.

I don't agree that the OP's answer to your post spoke volumes you asked the question who cares for him and his things after pasting her comment that he doesn't look after himself. It is not telling that she then takes that in context and talks about cleanliness etc.

Some boys don't look after themselves and have to be continually reminded to do so. It may well be a form of rebellion as they are continually being told what to do at school, but it really isn't one of those things that you can let slide.

The glue ear is interesting, it can have an immense difference to hearing in a noisy environment. You say he is interested in his playstation there are quite a few maths games on line they may appeal - Coxhoe school Durham ( oh Eira u beat me GRR) is a primary but has some great links. As far as reading goes some people never 'get' the joy of reading - the TV in your head! Horrid Henry is too young for his interest level age.What sort of things is he interested in?

You do need to keep on at this, but personally I would back off a little right at the moment as he has just started a new school which is really daunting and it may all be too much. (my DD starts secondary next week)
  • mintymoneysaver
    mintymoneysaver Posts: 3,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 26 August 2009 at 2:56PM
    Options
    woody01 wrote: »
    Thousands.....they are all having 6 weeks paid leave. :rolleyes:

That's for another discussion entirely...but it may surprise you to know we don't actually get paid for holidays, we get paid for the directed hours that we have to work.:rolleyes: However our pay is evened out over 12 pay packets! Until 1990 teachers only got 11 pay packets a year and none in August, but the Govt of the time changed it so we were paid evenly over 12 mnths.:naughty:

And yes....this is a tongue in cheek comment, I do appreciate my holidays!!!
  • Threebabes
    Threebabes Posts: 1,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well me and his dad take an interest in him (obviously) if this is what your meaning. We are the ones thats always on at him to tidy his room, shower himself, clean his teeth, make sure he isnt putting on dirty clothes because if im honest he wouldnt do any of these things if we didnt tell him to :confused:.

is that what you mean?

Cant help with the homework. But my DS is 13 nearly 14 and we were always on his case to change clothes & shower etc. Hes a bit better now but we were on at him all the time. :confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure