We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Wasps and Bees

Options
124»

Comments

• alice
    alice Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Could be - I also think if the winter is quite mild and the spring is early - like ours was last year - more queen wasps survive to start the whole process off again
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    Infidel wrote: »
    I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if wasps actually serve any ecological purpose and if they were wiped out would this have any negative impact on the eco-system.

I'm also bored.................... :p
    Beekeeper told me about a cricket ground where there were a lot of complaints about wasps and could they clear out all the wasp nests in the area which they did. Everone happy until next year when the grass of the cricket ground was carp. It was infested with the leatherjackets which the wasps would have eaten. Wasps are very useful predators but not in a nest 2ft from my back door.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Infidel
    Infidel Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    Options
    Beekeeper told me about a cricket ground where there were a lot of complaints about wasps and could they clear out all the wasp nests in the area which they did. Everone happy until next year when the grass of the cricket ground was carp. It was infested with the leatherjackets which the wasps would have eaten. Wasps are very useful predators but not in a nest 2ft from my back door.

Ok, and there is possibly something that eats wasps (maybe a bird?) so again if they were eradicated it would have a knock on effect on the something that possibly eats wasps.
    Instigated terrorism the road to dictatorship.
  • sky_jones
    Options
    hi took advice on wasp nest in my porch .got me some wasp spray foam,and to give the !!!!!!s a chance i went to spray em in shorts n t shirt.hit em with a quick spray and ran so fast from them that i ran over a stream with out sinkin lol.this morning...there all gone whoohoo..saved me 45 pounds for council to do it,and im fitter than yesterday
  • sky_jones
    Options
    He told me that swarms were usually in May/June but spare queens fly off without a swarm as such.
    noo..dogs have owners cats have husbands.lol:)
  • davemorton
    davemorton Posts: 29,070 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Now theres a thing that I have always wondered. How come wasp traps dont attract and kill the bees too??
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
  • nibs
    nibs Posts: 577 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, I've recentely noticed a few bees flying in the corner of my extension (by the front door) but today there seemed more than normal. When I went out to check I noticed a spider has spun a web and they are trying to get past it but can't, (they've obviously made a nest there) What would be the best thing to do, as the bees are getting quite anxious,
    Thanks ....
  • smileyt_2
    smileyt_2 Posts: 1,240 Forumite
    Options
    nibs wrote: »
    Hi, I've recentely noticed a few bees flying in the corner of my extension (by the front door) but today there seemed more than normal. When I went out to check I noticed a spider has spun a web and they are trying to get past it but can't, (they've obviously made a nest there) What would be the best thing to do, as the bees are getting quite anxious,
    Thanks ....

Can't you catch the spider (or get a fearless friend to do it) and rehome it elsewhere in your garden? Then you can pull the web down and the bees will be happy.

That's what I'd do. Should only take a moment so hopefully you won't get stung. But I'm not an expert on bees!
    Aspire not to have more but to be more.
    Oscar Romero

Still trying to be frugal...
  • nibs
    nibs Posts: 577 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks, thats what I was thinking - especially the bit about the fearless friend lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport