We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Wasps and Bees

Options

Comments

• leila1
    leila1 Posts: 268 Forumite
    Options
    Unfortunately as the bees nest was too close to the wasps they had killed most of them this morning so the local bee keeper could not help, except by spraying the wasps. Had it been down the bottom of the garden I'd have ignored it but 2 ft from the back door was just too close with hundreds buzzing in and out. Lots had found their way into the kitchen and lounge.

May be they're the ones responsible for the decline!
  • jules1964
    Options
    leila1 wrote: »

Just another example of what a waste of space they are.
    Never argue with a fool, they will lower you to their level and then beat you with experience.........!!!:rotfl::T
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yep, all the worlds scientists must be wrong then :D seeing as, they seem to be putting it down to a cocktail of chemicals sprayed on crops.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • leila1
    leila1 Posts: 268 Forumite
    Options
    Yep, all the worlds scientists must be wrong then :D seeing as, they seem to be putting it down to a cocktail of chemicals sprayed on crops.

I suppose it all adds up. I was more in favour of the mobile phone theory, or the supermite theory, but in the ends it all adds up. Einstein predicted they if they are wiped out we'll have 4 years to live!_pale_
    Anyway, I have done my bit and planted an extra lavender.
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I suppose it all adds up. I was more in favour of the mobile phone theory, or the supermite theory, but in the ends it all adds up. Einstein predicted they if they are wiped out we'll have 4 years to live!_pale_
    Anyway, I have done my bit and planted an extra lavender.
    All the theory's add up, mites, disease, herbicides, pesticides, people swatting them around the table, probably others we don't know about yet. But I think we can safely rule out wasps :)
    Although obviously some would prefer them to be the bringers of doom for everything.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • ANY_CHANCE
    Options
    I have no problem whatsoever with bees, when i am doing my gardening or eating they just go about their buisness and dont bother at all and i love watching them.

Whereas wasps i hate, does anyone know what the point of them is?
    They always have to come into the house, they pester you if you are eating or drinking outside, and if your gardening they get cross because your near their flowers.....they are a nuisance;)
    “most people give up just as they are about to achieve success”
    If you think you are going through hell keep going - Sir Winston Churchill
    If You Can't Change It, Change the Way You Think About It.
    SW, 13st5lb, -4 1/2, -1,(12st13.5lbs)
  • alice
    alice Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm a beekeeper and agree that there a lot of wasps around this year. They are not usually a problem the rest of the year - in fact, in Spring they are quite helpful in eating aphids in the garden - but coming up to autumn they turn quite nasty. The bees, too, are defensive as they are protecting the stores of honey they have in the hive to see them through the winter as there are no really nectar-rich plants in flower any longer. Wasps can sniff out the honey and try to enter the hives to rob it - sounds fine as there are several thousand bees and comparatively few wasps.....however, each bee can only sting once whereas the wasps can sting and sting and sting........... and although the bees will defend the hive strongly they get demoralised (really!!) if they are attacked and their numbers get too low.
    So...at this time of year I have no hesitation in squashing wasps whereas I wouldn't ordinarily kill anything. I do have umpteen wasp traps in the garden so that at least then they die gorged on last year's raspberry jam!!!

p.s. might change my username to 'bee bore'!!
  • Infidel
    Infidel Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    Options
    I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if wasps actually serve any ecological purpose and if they were wiped out would this have any negative impact on the eco-system.

I'm also bored.................... :p
    Instigated terrorism the road to dictatorship.
  • alice
    alice Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hmmmmmm - no doubt there will be someone who finds a useful purpose they serve.........can't think of one, though!!

Boredom relief suggestion...get some bees!!!!!!
  • ANY_CHANCE
    Options
    We had a huge amount of aphids early this year i wonder if that had a knock on effect on the numbers of wasps this year? if they eat aphids. Then that would have a knock on effect on the number of bees?
    “most people give up just as they are about to achieve success”
    If you think you are going through hell keep going - Sir Winston Churchill
    If You Can't Change It, Change the Way You Think About It.
    SW, 13st5lb, -4 1/2, -1,(12st13.5lbs)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family