We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Wasps and Bees

Options
We have a flat roofed extension with the usual round holes for ventilation. I have just found there is a wasps nest in one of the holes, an easily solved problem usually. What complicates matters is that within 2 holes distance (1 metre) there has suddenly become a bee nest. With the lack of honey bees, how do you wipe out the wasps without the bees.
ps the wasp nest is 2ft from the back door and OH does not want it destroyed. Last year I had a nest in the back shed in my stereo speaker. Why do they keep coming back here, do they know I hate wasps?
I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.

Comments

• SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Looks like you may need to get rid of your OH before you can kill off the wasps.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • martinlewisfanclub
    Options
    find your local bee keepers club and they should be able to come and rescue the bees for you...then tackle the wasps!
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,205 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Agree with previous post. I think they will be protected if they are honey bees. Your local beekeepers association will come and collect them and resite them to a hive or somewhere more suitable. If you don't want to kill off the wasps chemically, I suppose you'd have to put up some home-made wasp traps if they are being a nuisance to take the numbers down. (It's still killing them of course, but they do get to stuff themselves with jam first!) Otherwise, I shouldn't think they'll be around for much longer? When I had a wasp nest in a flat roof, someone told me that wasps never come back to the same nest the next year, so that's one good thing, if it's true. There are LOADS of wasps around this year.
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • needaspirin
    needaspirin Posts: 1,208 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    All of the wasps will be dead in a couple of months. Why not leave them be and then cover the vent holes with fine plastic mesh such as this: http://www.boddingtons-ltd.com/PDF/Insect_Mesh.pdf
    I had wasp nests under my floor due to them coming through the airbricks so I used similar mesh which I hot-glued over the bricks. I don't kill creatures so I let them finish their year first.
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    martinlewisfanclub good advice

But ,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/8213887.stm

So when the bees are safely removed kill the wasps.
  • jules1964
    jules1964 Posts: 309 Forumite
    Options
    wallbash wrote: »
    martinlewisfanclub good advice

But ,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/8213887.stm

So when the bees are safely removed kill the wasps.

I have to agree, I detest them!
    Never argue with a fool, they will lower you to their level and then beat you with experience.........!!!:rotfl::T
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    Unfortunately as the bees nest was too close to the wasps they had killed most of them this morning so the local bee keeper could not help, except by spraying the wasps. Had it been down the bottom of the garden I'd have ignored it but 2 ft from the back door was just too close with hundreds buzzing in and out. Lots had found their way into the kitchen and lounge.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • tracyk
    tracyk Posts: 224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did the wasps kill the bees?

I didn't know they did that :cry:

I love bees....
  • jules1964
    jules1964 Posts: 309 Forumite
    Options
    tracyk wrote: »

I love bees....

I was wondering that too. I agree what a terrible shame if they did.
    Never argue with a fool, they will lower you to their level and then beat you with experience.........!!!:rotfl::T
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    tracyk wrote: »

I love bees....
    Wasps kill quite a few creatures to feed their grubs, I suspect they wouldn't usually kill a bee to eat, as a cabbage white caterpillar etc, would be an easier target. They must have felt their nest was threatened.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure