🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Sky digital warranty

Options
Had SKY+ for almost a year and I've received a letter (Digital Satellite Warranty Cover Ltd.) urging me to take out a Sky Warranty for £95.00 for 12 months or £9.59 per month. Promises the only same day service on the market* (*being reported before 10am & engineer availability). I normally avoid extended warranties but not sure what to do this time. We had a problem with SKY shortly after we had it installed and they were brilliant and came out very quickly and gave us a brand new box and we've had no trouble since. Is it worth taking out this warranty? would much appreciate any advice from other SKY users.

Comments

• Moneymaker
    Moneymaker Posts: 1,984 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    In the true money-saving spirit, I urge you to save your money!
    We had a problem with SKY shortly after we had it installed and they were brilliant and came out very quickly and gave us a brand new box and we've had no trouble since..
    Exactly and they'll do this again for £65 so why pay £95 on a gamble?
  • parallax_20
    Options
    Personally speaking, save your money like the other poster says.

You can get your Sky+ box repaired or replaced for free. Since your minimum 12 months is almost up, if you develop a problem with the box, just call sky up to replace/repair the box. If they talk about charges or refuse, just threaten to cancel the whole contract. Essentially if you don't have a working box you can't utilise their service! Once cancelled, take out a new contract and get a spanking new Sky+ box for another 12 months with warranty. Repeat each year if necessary. Never pay for additional warranty on cheap items that can be replace cheaply or free.
  • Fifer
    Fifer Posts: 59,413 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I suspect you have to have been out of contract with Sky for a minimum period to qualify as a 'new' customer again which, if so, is a flaw in the strategy above. Howver, the threat of cancellation might be enough to elicit a free repair. If not, there's a £65 (I think) standard call-out/repair fee which includes exchange equipment of required. Unless you think you're likely to need two call-outs per year, I can think of no reason to pay £95 just in case.
    There's love in this world for everyone. Every rascal and son of a gun.
    It's for the many and not the few. Be sure it's out there looking for you.
    In every town, in every state. In every house and every gate.
    Wth every precious smile you make. And every act of kindness.
    Micheal Marra, 1952 - 2012
  • parallax_20
    Options
    I don't think its flawed. Even if you signed up again as an existing customer they will still need to give you a new box as you can't receive their service without a working one. And if they decided to charged you for the new Sky+ box it would be less than the £65 minimum call out charge and you know its new hardware and not a refurbished one. And once you have your new box it'll be covered by the 12 month warranty. So means another year of unlimited call outs to fix it.

In case you didn't already know, the replacement boxes are not new. They are refurbished boxes, they can sometimes be an older model....depends on whats available at the warehouse. In their eyes as long as you can receive the sky services you pay for, they have fulfilled their end of the agreement.

Hope that makes sense.
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    What concerns me is how these companies get access to the Sky Database?

Either Sky are flogging the details to them or possibly their database isn't secure??:confused:
  • parallax_20
    parallax_20 Posts: 546 Forumite
    edited 25 August 2009 at 5:01PM
    Options
    I reckon its some sort of partnership they have with these warranty companies as it appears to be the same organisation that sends out the mailshots. If it were to be different companies contacting me each year then I would be concerned, but it only ever seems to be the one.

I don't believe in extended warranties and have never had problems with the hardware and normally when I do, its 2/3 years down the line and the product needs updating anyhow. But if you have the extended warranty facility with your bank, it would be worth considering that instead. I get it with Barclays Additions Plus current account, I pay £16 a month for it, but comes with a host of other benefits, which is good value for money but only if you use it. In this case, I could register any new electrical purchases I buy and the scheme would pay for itself in a year. Better than a one off £95 for 1 item, on the off chance it may become faulty.
  • ilnf
    ilnf Posts: 150 Forumite
    Options
    Inactive wrote: »
    What concerns me is how these companies get access to the Sky Database?

Either Sky are flogging the details to them or possibly their database isn't secure??:confused:

There are a couple of these companies abou who at first glance you may presume are SKY. I think I heard the install engineers sell on the info - Name, Address and Install Date.
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The only warranty that is approved by Sky is run by Domestic and General.
    Other outfits are out to scam you, usually they have an address on the south coast.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • Fifer
    Fifer Posts: 59,413 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't think its flawed. Even if you signed up again as an existing customer they will still need to give you a new box as you can't receive their service without a working one. And if they decided to charged you for the new Sky+ box it would be less than the £65 minimum call out charge and you know its new hardware and not a refurbished one. And once you have your new box it'll be covered by the 12 month warranty. So means another year of unlimited call outs to fix it.
    I suspect that if you do not qualify as a 'new' customer, you are unlikely to get a subsidised box so it will cost significantly more than £65.
    There's love in this world for everyone. Every rascal and son of a gun.
    It's for the many and not the few. Be sure it's out there looking for you.
    In every town, in every state. In every house and every gate.
    Wth every precious smile you make. And every act of kindness.
    Micheal Marra, 1952 - 2012
  • Moneymaker
    Moneymaker Posts: 1,984 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I reckon its some sort of partnership they have with these warranty companies

Sky don't pass on your details. How many times have you or your spouse filled out a questionnaire in the street, on an aeroplane or at home, which asks "Do you receive Sky through a Dish or Cable?"

I bet one of you has!
    This question is sneaked into so many "consumer surveys" - especially on your return from holiday - that you don't even realise you are ticking the box.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport