Why is the cinema so expensive?

Comments

• geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    £7 is average in Bristol. Me & my friend went to see a film in the Directors Lounge at Cinema De Luxe, and they wanted us to pay £12 each! Needless to say, we walked away.
  • pootle30
    pootle30 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Because its annoying me I've emailed their customer services asking why Dunfermline is so expensive and also what happened to cheap Tuesdays!!!!

Here are some comparisons

After 5pm,standard seats

DUNFERMLINE £7.75
    Belfast £6.20
    Dundee £6.75 (also Scotland, but a bigger city)
    Birmingham £4.50 !?!?!?!?!?!?!?
    Manchester £7.25
    Leeds-Bradford £7.00
    Glasgow £7.20

So it can only be because Dunfermline know we would have to travel to Edinburgh to find another cinema!!!
  • eslick
    eslick Posts: 2,062 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    its for this reason you can buy copies of most films for a fiver at pubs and car boot sales, its an expensive time going to the cinema, add a couple kids and you need to remortgage :)
  • sporedude
    sporedude Posts: 1,563 Forumite
    eslick wrote: »
    its for this reason you can buy copies of most films for a fiver at pubs and car boot sales, its an expensive time going to the cinema, add a couple kids and you need to remortgage :)

99.9% of the time its someone using a camcorder in the cinema, What a way to watch a film :money:
  • eslick
    eslick Posts: 2,062 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    or the ones "for your consideration" these are the only ones worth watching
  • lol yes i like the for ur consideration copies too. I should add I do go to the cinema most weeks though so its only if there are way too many things out that i want to see and can't afford to see them all doh!
  • Mark_Hewitt
    Mark_Hewitt Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    We used to go to the cinema about twice a month. Now the prices have gotten so high we might go twice a year..

Instead we subscribe to lovefilm so we get to see almost new films twice a month on our nice big tele, just as good as going to the cinema IMO.
  • Why don't you just go on to the freebie thread on this site and you can sign up to get tickets for free film previews i think that i have paid to see about 2 films this year all the rest have been free it saves a heck of a lot of money
  • p00hsticks wrote: »
    My local Vue still does cheap Tuesdays but you need to register and get a card for it now - have you done that ?

http://www.myvue.com/cinemas/cheapdaytuesdays/index.asp?SessionID=397861E00BB241EBAE616E14231A0103&cn=1&ci=52&ln=1&hi=627

My local Vue doesn't do it :(
  • sammyw
    sammyw Posts: 448 Forumite
    Our local cinema has dropped their charges to £2.50 weekdays and £3.50 weekends for the summer hols. Compare that to the odeon where it's over £7 a ticket off peak and more at peak times! Local one also doesn't mind if you take your own snacks in. Great value!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure