Money Moral Dilemma: Would you park free if it blocked wheelchair access?

Options

Comments

• Bionic
    Bionic Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Spaggit
    Magic-Ian wrote: »
    Lets hope that you never becone disabled. I think I now know where I would like to park, and it aint in a disabled bay.:mad:

Well said Ian - is there room for mine too? I wonder if its only disabled drivers who get up Spaggits nose?
  • rag_doll
    rag_doll Posts: 210 Forumite
    Options
    Depends how long I was going to be. If I had to dump the car to pay in a cheque, then YES. They can wait 5 minutes while I do that. If I'm going for an all-afternoon shopping spree (haha, when was the last time I did that?), then NO.

1. Why should anyone have to wait for you?!
    2. You may think you're only going to be 5 mins but you may have to queue, we all get delayed, especially in banks & post offices.
    FAIRTRADE NOT FREE TRADE

STOP THE BADGER CULL - PLEASE SIGN HM GOVERNMENT E-PETITION
  • Bionic
    Options
    Originally Posted by LeeSouthEast
    Depends how long I was going to be. If I had to dump the car to pay in a cheque, then YES. They can wait 5 minutes while I do that. If I'm going for an all-afternoon shopping spree (haha, when was the last time I did that?), then NO.
    rag_doll wrote: »
    1. Why should anyone have to wait for you?!
    2. You may think you're only going to be 5 mins but you may have to queue, we all get delayed, especially in banks & post offices.

What's a cheque - don't we do online banking these days - I do to avoid just this sort of problem.
  • Magic-Ian
    Magic-Ian Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    gcw84 wrote: »
    people with disabilities also need to realise that they have the responsibility to help themselves.
    I would assume that by getting out in their own vehicle and being independant is helping themselves. Unfortunately for some, in order to do that they need access to the rear of the vehicle for whatever reason (to load a wheelchair or ramps to drive in a scooter). Is it too much to ask for some able bodied person to leave a bit of a space so that they can HELP THEMSELVES.
  • Magic-Ian
    Options
    I can appreciate this, but in some car parks there are hardly any in our town but in others there are about 2 floors worth of disabled spaces only which are nearly always half empty.Its a little bit annoying driving past all the empty space and having to go up to higher floors, doesn't really bother me but I can see why some people might complain. In our town there is actually a shopmobility car park which has a huge amount of disabled spaces and decent access for disabled people.
    Not where I live. Higher than average disabled (near spinal unit) and lower than average disabled spaces. However the council have said that they will give over the ground floor of the car park for lazy B parking bays. That way you will not have to walk past the disabled bays to do your shopping.
  • Bionic
    Options
    Magic-Ian

Quote:
    Originally Posted by unicornstar
    I can appreciate this, but in some car parks there are hardly any in our town but in others there are about 2 floors worth of disabled spaces only which are nearly always half empty.Its a little bit annoying driving past all the empty space and having to go up to higher floors, doesn't really bother me but I can see why some people might complain. In our town there is actually a shopmobility car park which has a huge amount of disabled spaces and decent access for disabled people.

Magic-Ian
    Not where I live. Higher than average disabled (near spinal unit) and lower than average disabled spaces. However the council have said that they will give over the ground floor of the car park for lazy B parking bays. That way you will not have to walk past the disabled bays to do your shopping.

So eloquent!
  • kerryla_rain21
    Options
    What if i was a disabled driver? Should i still not park there because the other vehicle would be in the same delima? Whether i am disabled or not it would still cause a problem. I don't think blocking a disabled driver in is the right thing to do. However if the driver of the car in front knew they needed 6 feet for wheel chair access then they should have thought about parking somewhere more convenient for themselves and other vehicles.
  • Magic-Ian
    Options
    Bionic wrote: »
    Spaggit

Well said Ian - is there room for mine too? I wonder if its only disabled drivers who get up Spaggits nose?
    I would imagine that if Spraggit is as lazy as he/she sounds , then there would be room for a few more. But they would have to get of their backside first so that we could park!:rotfl:
  • Magic-Ian
    Options
    What if i was a disabled driver? Should i still not park there because the other vehicle would be in the same delima? Whether i am disabled or not it would still cause a problem. I don't think blocking a disabled driver in is the right thing to do. However if the driver of the car in front knew they needed 6 feet for wheel chair access then they should have thought about parking somewhere more convenient for themselves and other vehicles.

Yes they are very inconsiderate. Disabled drivers should not be allowed to park so that an able bodied person has to walk a couple of yards further. In fact lets ban them from driving and make them walk everywhere. After all it's a big con isn't it.? Think about it. When they parked there was a space behind them. So they did take it into consideration.
  • QuestionMan
    Options
    Magic-Ian wrote: »
    Think about it. When they parked there was a space behind them. So they did take it into consideration.

And their responsibility ends there? What if the next driver to come along was disabled too, but not physically - would a dyslexic person be able to read this sign?
    Probably not.
    If requiring extra space is top priority then you park where you are sure you will get it, surely?
    That's aside from the hogging 2 car park spaces arguement too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure