Medical Insurance Cost Cutting Plan Article Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• PMI_Broker
    PMI_Broker Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 11 April 2011 at 6:43PM
    Options
    To the person looking for PMI for a 16 year old, Health On Line do children's policies and the rates are very cheap too.

Their transfer criteria is not too onerous either, as long as you have nothing planned or pending you should be able to switch to them.

Obviously I'm a broker and I've just joined the site, read right through this thread and saw that a broker recommended National Friendly. They have now withdrawn from the market and left their policyholders in a pickle, I'm pleased to say that I never thought their product was sustainable and I did not offer it to any of my clients.

PMI is no different to life in general, if something seems too good to be true then it generally is.
  • SusanSpain
    SusanSpain Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't know if this is the right place to be starting.... But... I need to know the difference between PMI and PHI... I can see the former is covered here to a great extent, but would like to know more about the latter.
    Thanks for any experts out there! :)
  • Whataday
    Options
    Hello, I am new to posting on the forum, but have been lurker for quite some time.

I want to take out some private medical insurance. I have checked with my employers and they don't offer anything.

I am looking for a good level of cover with no caps on outpatient coveror limits on procedures.

I am 29 and in good health but do have mild asthma which is very well controlled.

I have had a look around and got a few quotes and they do vary a lot. I have got what seems like a good price for Tesco Finest PMI, which is £47 a month and looks like it offers a lot of cover for the money, this is with a two hundred excess per year. It is not a six week option or anything, immediate treatment.

Does anyone have any opinions on Tesco PMI? It's provided by AXA PPP.

Thanks for your time
  • out2lunch
    Options
    I have been with AXA PPP for 25 years my annual cost has gone up excessively and I need to find out if they are ripping me off. How do I find this out or re-negotiate the annual cost when I have got some health issues which are covered by AXA but will not be covered by any other company?
  • JamieLewis
    Options
    out2lunch wrote: »
    I have been with AXA PPP for 25 years my annual cost has gone up excessively and I need to find out if they are ripping me off. How do I find this out or re-negotiate the annual cost when I have got some health issues which are covered by AXA but will not be covered by any other company?

Have you heard of SWITCH underwriting? If you switch, the new insurance company should still cover conditions that occured since you took out your old policy and will not add any extra exclusions- I switched policies from Aviva to Bupa, granted I hadn't been with Aviva for as long as you, but I ended up saving money. If you want advice about switching policies I would really recommend a company called ActiveQuote- google them. I spoke to a guy called Tom and he found me my Bupa policy. I'm not sure how it would work with your current health issues, since I only had a few excluded conditions on my original policy, but it is always worth a shot.
  • world_citizen
    Options
    SusanSpain wrote: »
    Don't know if this is the right place to be starting.... But... I need to know the difference between PMI and PHI... I can see the former is covered here to a great extent, but would like to know more about the latter.
    Thanks for any experts out there! :)

I'm reply several months after the query, you may already know the answer by now. I am not an expert, but what I understand from other insurance websites is that PHI (Permanent Health Insurance) is Income Protection insurance. It provides a tax-free income if you're unable to work due to illness or disability. PMI (Private Medical Insurance) is for covering the costs of private medical treatment.
  • Wutang_2
    Wutang_2 Posts: 2,513 Forumite
    Options
    I'm reply several months after the query, you may already know the answer by now. I am not an expert, but what I understand from other insurance websites is that PHI (Permanent Health Insurance) is Income Protection insurance. It provides a tax-free income if you're unable to work due to illness or disability. PMI (Private Medical Insurance) is for covering the costs of private medical treatment.

Thank God someone finally answered this! I have been waiting months.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • John_H_Walsh
    Options
    aloiseb wrote: »
    I have plumped for private medical insurance after thinking things through when my husband had to have an operation last year. (The hospital was MUCH nicer than the NHS one who would have also had him wait about a year....) I used the system Martin suggested to find a good deal -it took ages but was (I hope) worth it.

I'd like to point out that nearly all the ones I looked at had AT LEAST a moratorium of two years on anything I had had a problem with before, and many wouldn't provide any cover for pre-existing conditions at all. I decided I'd better take out cover straight away, before any other bits started to go wrong! Possible this is just what they had in mind.

it would be lovely to do the "self-insurance" thing Martin suggests but let's face it, how many people have that amount of self-control at that age? I spent all my money on seeing Europe - and I'm glad I did - not on some future hip operation!
    Can someone advise whether as a rule paying your own private consultant and private hospital fees should be cheaper or more expensive than the amount charged by the private hospital to the insurance company?
  • radoxme
    radoxme Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had bupa and my mum sent me to see a shrink in a posh area who saw I was panicky and gave me panic disorder medication. the gp on the other hand who lived in the same part of Birmingham as me said I was right to be panicky as the area was very violent. she told me not to take the medication. I ignored her and took it. Big mistake. I was lured from my home and very badly beaten. I had to fight for my life. I have marks on my neck where they tried to slit my throat.
    bottom line the nhs knows best. they know if you are ill or just in survival mode as they know where you live. as has been shown with Mike Jackson and Whitney Houston private shrinks are little more than drug dealers who will send you to an early grave. they do not have to pay disability benefits when you are hurt .the state does so they don't put you at risk.
    any quacks bring it on!
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,730 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    !!!!!!!

Thats quite possibly the most rediculous post ive EVER read in my life.

So its Bupa' fault you took your eye off the ball and were attacked?
    Im from Manchester, not the worst part but by no means the best. If i see a group of hoodies, i cross the road. If i see something i dont like i find an alternative route. If someone comes out and attacks me by surprise...well, its a surprise! The NHS, Bupa or Mystic Meg couldnt have predicted it.

I sell PMI, i sell very little of it though mainly because my clients are not in a position to be able to afford it - theyre more concerned with protecting their income and family. I also dont have PMI, whilst the NHS isnt perfect its always served me pretty well. when im financially more sound i will probably look at it but for now im young healthy and no family so im happy to live life without it.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback