Medical Insurance Cost Cutting Plan Article Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• claire21
    claire21 Posts: 32,747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I want to get a private medical policy for my family. Me 43, DH 54, kids 13, 11 and 9.
    I really dont know where to start when looking at one policy o the next.
    My 2 closest fiends are going through breast cancer, one on the NHs and one with a works policy.
    None of us have any medical conditions, I just feel I want the most comprehensive cancer cover I can after seeing what my friends have gone though.
    Money is not so much of a problem and I would rather have more cover than i need as knowing sods law we would get the thing that wasnt covered fully.

Can anyone help please?
  • Wutang_2
    Wutang_2 Posts: 2,513 Forumite
    Options
    claire21 wrote: »
    I want to get a private medical policy for my family. Me 43, DH 54, kids 13, 11 and 9.
    My 2 closest fiends are going through breast cancer, one on the NHs and one with a works policy.
    None of us have any medical conditions, I just feel I want the most comprehensive cancer cover I can after seeing what my friends have gone though.
    Money is not so much of a problem and I would rather have more cover than i need as knowing sods law we would get the thing that wasnt covered fully.

Can anyone help please?

Depends on where you live, preferred local hospital, whether you wanna add the other stuff (dental, overseas, an excess, etc). Exeter Friendly are the daddies and Bupa are the worst....

Lots of variables though :eek:
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • wozearly
    wozearly Posts: 202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    claire21 wrote: »

Can anyone help please?

Cancer cover was an area that several insurers became more generous in over the past few years. I'm inclined to agree with Wutang that Bupa and Exeter Family Friendly have the broadest / most forgiving definitions in their cancer cover across all policies.

Generally speaking, AXA PPP healthcare and PruHealth aren't much different. My cautionary note with them would be that PruHealth has a rather ominous clause that technically allows them to decline cover for any 'new' treatment, and AXA PPP are slightly more heavy on the small print with one exception (more in a minute).

I believe Bupa now offer a cancer-only plan (can't get a quote online, have to phone up and ask about it), and if you're only after cancer cover then that could be a good way to go.

If you're looking for medical insurance with cancer cover to the standard you want, most of the products with the insurers listed above can attach their variation on full cancer cover to any policy, if it isn't already included as standard, so all of the usual shenanigans about which PMI policy to pick based on your needs will apply (e.g. hospital choice, consultant choice, benefit limits, excess, price, different methods of applying no claims discounts, etc).

If you're on the 'money is no object' side of things, then you could look at AXA PPP healthcare's Premier Plus (again, you'll have to call them, no quotes for it online), which is comprehensive cover across the board, but also gives oncologists free reign to prescribe any cancer treatments irrespective of any licence restrictions. It is, however, right at the top end of the market - so make sure you're sitting down if you ask for a quote.

As always, its never a bad idea to talk to an indepedent adviser that can offer whole of market advice if you're considering spending quite a bit of money on insurance.
  • Wutang_2
    Options
    wozearly wrote: »
    Cancer cover was an area that several insurers became more generous in over the past few years. I'm inclined to agree with Wutang that Bupa and Exeter Family Friendly have the broadest / most forgiving definitions in their cancer cover across all policies.

Generally speaking, AXA PPP healthcare and PruHealth aren't much different. My cautionary note with them would be that PruHealth has a rather ominous clause that technically allows them to decline cover for any 'new' treatment, and AXA PPP are slightly more heavy on the small print with one exception (more in a minute).

I believe Bupa now offer a cancer-only plan (can't get a quote online, have to phone up and ask about it), and if you're only after cancer cover then that could be a good way to go.

If you're looking for medical insurance with cancer cover to the standard you want, most of the products with the insurers listed above can attach their variation on full cancer cover to any policy, if it isn't already included as standard, so all of the usual shenanigans about which PMI policy to pick based on your needs will apply (e.g. hospital choice, consultant choice, benefit limits, excess, price, different methods of applying no claims discounts, etc).

If you're on the 'money is no object' side of things, then you could look at AXA PPP healthcare's Premier Plus (again, you'll have to call them, no quotes for it online), which is comprehensive cover across the board, but also gives oncologists free reign to prescribe any cancer treatments irrespective of any licence restrictions. It is, however, right at the top end of the market - so make sure you're sitting down if you ask for a quote.

As always, its never a bad idea to talk to an indepedent adviser that can offer whole of market advice if you're considering spending quite a bit of money on insurance.

there;s some bad information in there:

DO NOT USE BUPA - if you think I am OCD regarding this, ring any private consultant and ask them their thoughts.

To compare AXA PREM and Pru for cancer is a joke. Pru will look at international/unlicensed drugs on their most basic of plans...!!

Still go EXETER, they are the dons.:santa2:
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • janequeenie
    janequeenie Posts: 81 Forumite
    edited 24 October 2012 at 4:07PM
    Options
    Maybe somebody with some knowledge could assist -- my question is are BUPA at leisure to increase prices by whatever percentage they feel year on year.
    i wanted people to be aware that our premiums with bupa under a business policy has increase by 389 % over 5 years.Unfortuantely they have you by the short and curlies if you have pre existing conditions as you would be excluded on these should you move to an alternative supplier!
    knowing this they abuse you in the knowledge that there is nothing you can do.
    for 5 people (45,46,50,51,80, they are now quoting £36k ,they dont appear to be regulated in any way shape or form.

any suggestions
  • Wutang_2
    Options
    Maybe somebody with some knowledge could assist -- my question is are BUPA at leisure to increase prices by whatever percentage they feel year on year.
    i wanted people to be aware that our premiums with bupa under a business policy has increase by 389 % over 5 years.Unfortuantely they have you by the short and curlies if you have pre existing conditions as you would be excluded on these should you move to an alternative supplier!
    knowing this they abuse you in the knowledge that there is nothing you can do.
    for 5 people (45,46,50,51,80, they are now quoting £36k ,they dont appear to be regulated in any way shape or form.

any suggestions

Business plans are terrible for small companies.

They are regulated. Bupa are absolutely terrible though.

Not sure who told you pre existing would be excluded as there is an option called a switch policy where you can transfer the cover over to a new insurer (not Bupa).

Anything else? :beer::beer::beer:
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Of course it is, it's a business with shareholders.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • Wutang_2
    Options
    Errata wrote: »
    Of course it is, it's a business with shareholders.

Check your facts.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wutang wrote: »
    Check your facts.
    My mistake, it has bondholders.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • wozearly
    wozearly Posts: 202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wutang wrote: »
    there;s some bad information in there:

To compare AXA PREM and Pru for cancer is a joke. Pru will look at international/unlicensed drugs on their most basic of plans...!!

If I understand correctly, your interpretation seems to be that PruHealth pay for drugs that have not received a licence in the UK or EU, or for drugs to be used outside of their licence terms.

The policy literature for Personal Healthcare (p79, if you want to check) states that their position is not to cover cancer drugs used outside the terms of their licence, or to fund any treatment not considered clinically appropriate in the UK.

Not clinically appropriate would, I presume, include drugs that have not yet been licenced as safe / appropriate to prescribe by the regulators.

I'd say that's pretty black and white, but if you have evidence to the contrary, please share.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback