PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Prawns recipes help!

Options

Comments

• pbright
    pbright Posts: 634 Forumite
    Options
    How do you BBQ king prawns....just on a skewere from raw?? This sounds delicious. So Lime, olive oil and what else to go with that to marinade them? & also how do you marindade them...do you just soak them in it cold, or what
    ...im a BBQ idiot...need ideas and know how fast fast fast!!

& where do you get chilli flakes...apparently ill need them for my homemade burgers aswell??
  • cazziebo
    cazziebo Posts: 3,209 Forumite
    Options
    I have a packet of frozen prawns in the freezer and just noticed that someone (probably DD) has opened them and taken some out and not re-closed the pack. Are they still usable?

I'm a thicko at this sort of thing but my ability has vastly improved since discovering this board,,,:rolleyes:
  • melt71
    melt71 Posts: 586 Forumite
    Options
    They won't be 'off' if that's what you mean. Check them for freezer burn though.

I personally would defrost them on a plate and see what they look like - if they have freezer burn (funny white bits!) I don't think I'd bother eating them.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • stevenshell
    Options
    I'd say defrost and sniff!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Shell :cheesy:
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    £2 savers club: £60!
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    cazziebo wrote:
    I have a packet of frozen prawns in the freezer and just noticed that someone (probably DD) has opened them and taken some out and not re-closed the pack. Are they still usable?

I'm a thicko at this sort of thing but my ability has vastly improved since discovering this board,,,:rolleyes:

Yes, they will be fine :) Put them into another bag/container, seal and keep frozen until you need/want to use them.

You don't need to defrost them to know if they have freezer burn, you would see it even in their frozen state.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • lolly5648
    lolly5648 Posts: 2,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Freezer burn isnt dangerous, is it? I used some cubed lamb with freezer burn and as I was making a curry I certainly didnt notice any difference in taste
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Options
    No, freezer burn isn't dangerous, but it does make the flesh go a bit rubbery when thawed/cooked.

Prawns should be fine, you can always pick or cut off any white bits. :D
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Redrose
    Redrose Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Was just looking in the freezer to see what i had in for a small party tomorrow night and came across a small pkt of tiger prawns

does anyone have a few suggestions how i can use them up...

My mind is a total blank

Thanks
    Hoping that when I start looking after the pennies, and the pounds will take care of them selves :j
  • helen_caslass
    Options
    tempura butterfly them then dip in batter and fry

serve with a chinese stylr dip or a salsa
    be loyal, be loud, be cas, be proud

look learn laugh love rainbows has begun
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing