We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Tattoo suggestions

Options
My OH was at a loss as to what to get me for my birthday and he has come up with the idea of paying for me to have a tattoo, I've never had one but have thought about it and for no particular reason just haven't bothered. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could get done or have any examples of ones they think stand out? I have a couple of ground rules, the first is I want it to be small, the second is I don't want to have it anywhere that will sag too much:rotfl:I haven't made a definite decision about this but any comments or suggestions would be great:D
Thank you for this site Martin
The time for change has come
Good luck for the future

Comments

• Puzzledbubbles
    Puzzledbubbles Posts: 1,853 Forumite
    Options
    I would say buy a copy of Skin and Ink - this months edition has a whole section about getting your first tattoo - that might help, i just posted my copy to my bf but if he has finished it by the time i see him next i can always post it to you if you cant get one :) (normally Borders books does some good tattoo magazines or sometimes a big WHSmith will have them :) )

Also, visit BME - just google them but make sure you read what you are clicking on (they have an extreme section to the site which is just plain scary!) if you go through to tattoos you can see pictures of other peoples tattoos and read their tattoo stories, some of them advise on after care etc, but most of them are the personal experiences that inspired them :)

Find a good tattooist in your area and then go visit them, just see what the atmosphere is like etc, if you are chilled and can see its clean etc take some time to speak to the artist - i did that exact thing on Satuday and am waiting for a call with my new design - thats the beauty of tatooists that are good, they can make something totally unique for you, even if you want a common symbol or sign etc

Anyway, HTH, feel free to PM me,

Puzzled x
  • mluton
    mluton Posts: 799 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My OH has a dove with a star on her wrist which is nice.

My brother has "Rock and Roll" very big on his forearm as he is a massive oasis fan and its really nice.

I have a Chinese symbol on my shoulder meaning love, quite small and discreate.

I want my sons name soon, but unsure on design and positioning.

Best way is to browse the net and look in tattoo parlours.
  • mrcow
    mrcow Posts: 15,170 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't do it. What's wrong with a pair of earrings or some perfume?

There are lots of nicer things that someone can get you for your birthday.

I've got one and really regret having it. At the time I really wanted it, but 10 years later, I wish I'd not bothered.

Tattoos are cheap, tacky, chavvy and actually pretty boring these days. Everyone has them.

If you really fancy the idea of a tattoo (which you don't sound like you do), get a temporary one if you want it for a particular reason.
    "One day I realised that when you are lying in your grave, it's no good saying, "I was too shy, too frightened."
    Because by then you've blown your chances. That's it."
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I've just set up a laser tattoo removal buisness.

Business is brisk!!

It costs a whole load more to have one off than to have one put on - and not all colours are responsive to removal!

Think very carefully!!!
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • mippy
    mippy Posts: 497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Only get one if you really want one - and make sure that what you get is extremely meaningful, rather than what's currently in fashion as that can look dated. I've been thinking about getting a tattoo for over a year now - I have a good idea of what I want, but I want to make sure I really, really do want it first (plus am unsure about placement just now). I would go to a good local artist and talk to them. If you see someone local with one you like, ask them where they went. Also, don't be put off going somewhere that is good by the price - this is going to be on your body forever, so it's an investment.
  • FelinePrincess
    FelinePrincess Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    Options
    mrcow wrote: »
    Don't do it. What's wrong with a pair of earrings or some perfume?

There are lots of nicer things that someone can get you for your birthday.

Tattoos are cheap, tacky, chavvy and actually pretty boring these days. Everyone has them.

If you really fancy the idea of a tattoo (which you don't sound like you do), get a temporary one if you want it for a particular reason.

I totally agree with this!

I don't have any tattoos, it used to be that I wasn't bothered but now I'm glad I never had one done as I don't really like them.

I have seen a few nice ones but the majority look a bit chavvy and I think they make women look less feminine.

People often comment how nice and unusual it is that I don't have any tattoos.

If you really want to get it done I would choose something meaningful to you that you wont get bored of and think about it for a few months, also think about having it somewhere that you wont see everyday so you wont get bored of it so easily.

Keep us updated on what you decide!

Feline Princess
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'm tattoo free too, and wouldn't change that. A very tattooed friend has some that are lovely: a tiny chain of daisies on her ring finger and wrist (would be covered by a watch strap if she chose to wear one).
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    mippy wrote: »
    so it's an investment.

But selling it can be a bit of a bu££er!! :D
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • GrammarGirl
    GrammarGirl Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    edited 4 August 2009 at 2:53PM
    Options

People often comment how nice and unusual it is that I don't have any tattoos.

Eh? Really?! Can't say (as a fellow tattoo-less girl) that I've ever received this bizarre compliment! :)

I love tattoos and really want one, but am too indecisive. I know where I want it (front of my foot) and I know I want it to be small and black, but that's where it ends.

If you're completely convinced by the idea of tattoos - go for it! People will always think they're ugly and so on, but if you go to a good tattooist they can become real works of art and look absolutely stunning. It's all about personal preference - those who are trying to dissuade the OP from getting one should make it clear that's their own opinion and shouldn't try force it on to everyone else!

My OH has lots of tattoos and I never tire of looking at them. I think what you choose is a very personal thing and you shouldn't let someone else choose for you. Go with what you really like. I agree with the point about it not being what's 'fashionable' right now, but don't think it necessarily has to be meaningful. Often people get tattoos and attach ridiculous meanings to them because they think they should. Just get something you like and will like to look at for the rest of your life! :)
  • FelinePrincess
    FelinePrincess Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    Options
    Eh? Really?! Can't say (as a fellow tattoo-less girl) that I've ever received this bizarre compliment! :)

Well, this doesn't happen to me in the street or anything but I have a job which involves my body being on display so it is clearly visible if I have any tattoos or not.. I was a bit suprised the first time someone mentioned it as I used to think everyone else liked tattoos so it's always nice when someone comments :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport