Private reg plates

Options
My son is thinking of getting a private car reg, not a hugely expensive one, no more than 300pounds.

As usual I know nothing at all about private reg plates, so need some words of wisdom from someone that does. I have googled it, but even so thought I would ask here.

His car is 2.5 years old and he will be changing it before it is three years old.

The way i look at it is that if he buys a private reg now, he will have all the expenses now, then in less than six months he will have to pay out all over again to reregister his old car, then have the private reg transferred to the new car.

I have read that you can buy the new reg and have it in your name, just waiting for your car to come along and be registered.

Any advice would be great, especially if its someone that he done this before.I looked on newreg.co.uk I am not sure where he looked.

Comments

• jonathon
    jonathon Posts: 749 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    you can hold the reg on a retension certificate until you are readr to use it on the new car
  • jeannieblue
    jeannieblue Posts: 4,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Go on the DVLA site - should be plenty of info on there. That is probably where he was looking at number plates. I don't think it costs a huge amount to move the new plate onto another vehicle tho - and quite often the dealer organises alot of it when you are buying a new car. Is he trading the older one in for the new one? I think (not sure) that it costs about £50 to transfer the reg over to a new car.

Harveybobbles would probably know - being a dealer.
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • jeannieblue
    Options
    Here you are OP....

http://dvlaregistrations.direct.gov.uk/home

Hope it helps!
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • Bored_Housewife
    Options
    Would doing it that way cost lots more than buying it and then using it straight away?

If it was bought now and he kept the retention cert would there be costs later on?

If he bought the reg now and put it on to his car immediately, I assume he would need to re-register the old car with new plates when he came to sell it?
  • jeannieblue
    Options
    Would doing it that way cost lots more than buying it and then using it straight away?

If it was bought now and he kept the retention cert would there be costs later on?

If he bought the reg now and put it on to his car immediately, I assume he would need to re-register the old car with new plates when he came to sell it?

I'm not a hundred per cent sure on how it all works. I think the main cost is when you initially buy it - and around £50 to swap it later onto another car.... but I really don't know.

The DVLA link may tell you.
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • Bored_Housewife
    Options
    Thanks Jeannieblue, Just taking a look at the DVLA site now
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    Fairly sure the transfer cost is £85 and the yearly retention is £25.
  • jeannieblue
    Options
    Inactive wrote: »
    Fairly sure the transfer cost is £85 and the yearly retention is £25.

My son recently bought a plate - I think it was around £85 - but I think it is a little bit lower when you change your car and transfer it over?

I'm finding that, as I get older, personalised plates are a good idea - change your car lots but only have one reg to remember! I stupidly bought (deliberately) a grey car once - could never find it in the car park - have a brighter coloured one now.. :D
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • Bored_Housewife
    Options
    Where would i find out how much it costs to have the actual number plate made up?
  • jeannieblue
    Options
    Where would i find out how much it costs to have the actual number plate made up?

They cost about £10 plus VAT - sometimes cheaper. I think Halfords do them? As I work at a garage, I get them made up via our motor parts company that we use.

Vaguely - what area are you in?
    Genie
    Master Technician
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills