Remove Biro mark from Cream Leather HELP!

Options
123457»

Comments

• mummysaver80_2
    mummysaver80_2 Posts: 12 Forumite
    edited 27 August 2010 at 2:12PM
    Options
    I know this is an old thread, but this happened to me for the 2nd time recently (both my kids did it as young toddlers, one on a 10 year old cream leather couch, one on an expensive new cream leather corner set!). After the nightmare I had the first time around (including resorting to bleach, white spirit and every other tip on the internet!), I had a brainwave this week when it happened again. I used baby wipes to get the initial worst of it off, but this still left a very visible stain. I tried washing up liquid on a scourer sponge, but although this started taking it off, it also was damaging the leather. I then tried ASTONISH cookware cleaner (fantastic stuff for so many cleaning jobs, supermarkets and Lakeland sell it and it lasts ages), took a damp jay cloth, dabbed some Astonish on it and gently scrubbed - and it WORKED! Only took about a minute of gentle rubbing for each bit to go and no sign of black biro at all! I then went over it with leather nourishing cream. This works, take it from me - I've tried EVERY tip out there, but didn't come across this one! I wonder if Cif cream might do the same job - its mildly abrasive. As always, if its a coloured couch, try on a hidden area first as it might take some dye out. This is why cream leather couches are way more practical than coloured leather or fabric ones, and I'm a mum of a 3 yr old and an 18 mth old!
  • stephfh
    Options
    hi ive tried absolutly everything to get this blue biro off my BRAND NEW chairs. ive tried hairspray, babywipes, industrial paint cleaner, jiff,`leather cleaner, nail polish remover, fairy liquid and its not even budging! my 4 chairs have literally got lines all over. pllllleaasssseee help. thanks
  • judyb
    judyb Posts: 173 Forumite
    Options
    Hello
    Are your chairs leather or vinyl? If they are vinyl the chances are it will be impossible to remove the ink. If they are leather there is a chance that an ink remover will help but it sounds as though the problem will be more difficult as you have tried so many different products.
    The chairs may need to be recoloured to cover over the ink.
    A good leather protector should always be used on pale leather to make them easier to clean when things like this happen.
    Hope this helps
    Judyb
    Leather consultant
    Lots of knowledge about leather
  • Raggie
    Raggie Posts: 613 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    At your own risk.... But

When I dropped a pen in the car.. Blue marks on the cream leather.. I was adviced to do the following.

Take a cotton bud

Spray some aftershave in the tip.

Gently rub in the pen mark.

Change tip regular and test is an inconspicuous area first in case the leather dye come out.

It took a couple of que tips and a few sprays of my best aftershave but the mark came out completely.
    The only place where success comes before work is the dictionary…
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure