Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

August 2009 Grocery Challenge - Page 36

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

August 2009 Grocery Challenge

edited 20 August 2009 at 9:23AM in Old Style MoneySaving
937 replies 97.7K views

Replies

• mooominmooomin Forumite
    13.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Evening all!

Went to Morrisons to buy cream to use with dinner tonight (I'm trying the lemon chicken recipe from the front of the thread) and seemed to get there as all the good whoopsie bargains arrived :D I have scored through the original price:

Iceberg lettuce (Shredded) twin pack [strike]£1.00[/strike] 20p
    Breaded plaice (Two portions) [strike] £1.96[/strike] 85p
    Single cream [strike]40p[/strike]12p
    Mashed potato ("Best" variety) [strike] £1.49 per pack[/strike] 9p per pack so bought two!
    Tiger rolls x 4 [strike]52p[/strike] 25p
    Sandwich ham 82p - not whoopsied but half price
    Bread (From bakery) [strike]£1.09[/strike]29p

So, total spend for that little haul was £2.71!
  • evening peeps,

spent £12.32 today in lidl's, got 6 x red peppers, 8 x mozzarella balls, some choc biccies and a bottle of lemon creme (like limoncello but not as bleachy in the aftertaste ;) ) and a lunch deal for 99p.

not feeling all that well at the mo so am not eating very much right now, saving on that for sure!!

will update my siggy, and i'll be watching the economy gastronomy show later to see if they are any good......

tc

ioiwe x
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• FrugaldomFrugaldom Forumite
    6.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello grocery challengers

Just back from annual agricultural show and stocked up with 4kg Seriously Strong Cheddar for £20 plus popped into the new Sa!nsbury store (I hated it!!) and spent a grand total of £2.44 They are barely stocking their Basics range here, so a total waste of time my going in there.
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise and saving to build eco-cabins! :D
  • Thanks Philsmum

Went to Costco's and got 1.34kg of cheese for £5.75 and a tin of biscuits for the kids as a special treat. They were selling lovely kids winter coats for £12.49 so got one for DS. Also popped into MrS and bought some beer for DH and the chicken thighs/drumsticks which were buy one get one free for £3.00, no whoopsies worth having though.

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
    6.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did I just hear correctly? This economy gastronomy programme, did they just say they were cutting down their grocery budget in order to save £4,700 over a year? :eek:
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise and saving to build eco-cabins! :D
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You heard right Nyk..... the equivalent of her annual salary !!
    Cheryl
    6.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    And isn't that little penny-rolling jingle straight from Martin's show? :eek::rotfl: I don't have multiple types of oil and vinegars in my larder but I do have a cheap tin of hot dogs. I'm glad someone mentioned this programme, thanks guys. I had forgotten all about it! Wish I could find stuff I'd forgotten about in my cupboards. :D
  • cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've got a cheap tin of hot dogs too I think - in there as a back-up for DS as I hate the things. But I'm considering trying that hot dog casserole as I think he may eat it too.....
    Cheryl
  • Tashja wrote: »
    Hi all

I seen a website on here a while ago which had cheap food on it for sale. The stuff was close to sell by date.

Can anyone post the link please ??

T xx

Hi Tash,
    Approved foods as MrsMC posted is the better one but there's also this one: http://www.foodbargains.co.uk/
    good for drinks (and cheaper postage too).
    DFW Nerd 941 Proud to be dealing with my debt
    August GC £0/£300
  • ktpiektpie Forumite
    290 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Hello everyone! Am I too late to join in this month? We really need to get our spend down to £200 or less but for this month I am going to try £300 and hope we can keep under that. Have spent £110 so far but that should have stocked us up pretty well.