August 2009 Grocery Challenge - Page 24

New Post Advanced Search

August 2009 Grocery Challenge

edited 20 August 2009 at 10:23AM in Old Style MoneySaving
937 replies 97.7K views

Replies

• kirstenckirstenc Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    513 posts
    first shop of the month today, have costed it out and it should cost about £50 including the taxi home (too much stuff for the bus). I am hoping that some of the stuff I need will be reduced, as we are going quite late on!

I am buying enough for 7 meals and side dishes so It should be 2 weeks worth...I hope!!!
    Pay £15k by Xmas10 £1478.19/£15000
    [STRIKE]24/07/09[/STRIKE] present - loan - £8550 overdraft#1 - [STRIKE]£2516.87[/STRIKE] £0 credit card - [STRIKE]£1210 [/STRIKE] £0
    TOTAL - [STRIKE]£12276.87[/STRIKE] £9133.63:T
    A-Z of Prizes - R, Y
  • First small shop done yesturday £3.81,milk,stir fry oil, seasame oil,2 jars sainsburys basic curry sauce and some onions. Had a lovley day Got the slow cooker on early with a cassarole in it felt very proud to be so organized,but late in the afternoon dd1 said she would not be in for diner as she was going to her bf's house for diner:mad: and oh dose not eat cassarole as he's not a big meat eater, so I have frozen half and me dd1 will have the rest tonight.We ended up having macroni cheese and salad what's left will do for lunch at work today.
    Also spent most of the morning baking,made a victoria sandwich abd a tea loaf it's the first time in ages I spent baking like this I found it very relaxing I think it will know become the norm on a sunday, unless of coarse I am doing overtime at Mr Sainsbugs.
    We spent the afternoon out working in the garden so I feel that we achived a lot yesturday we did not have the TV on until about 8:30 which was good because if dd1&2 are home it's usually on when thy get up:eek: well have a good day everyone

Dee
    July grocery challenge £250.00/£408.93
    August grocery challenge£350.00
    2/8£28.46
  • elf06elf06 Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Another spend yesterday of £1.48 at Mr A on nectarines before the offer ended and a rice cereal that DS loves. So total spend for month so far is £30.29. Not great but not a disaster. Off to update sig
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • Philsmum - thanks for the info - going to MrA today to find it and buy it as its gotta be cheaper than putting in all the ingredients as listed in the recipe.

Happy No Spending everyone

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • alipops1986alipops1986 Forumite
    673 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Morning All!

Decided to give online shopping a go this wk, in a bid to keep down my spends!

Have placed my order for Wednesday Night, cheapest delivery with Tesco. Total including delivery comes to - £24.65.

Found it SO much easier as you can browse the bargains/offers all at once, so i chose wot i could from there and then picked up other parts of my list from the main section.

Lets hope it all gets delivered smoothly. Am SO proud of myself at the total though, plenty of meals in there! X
    Married: August 2013
    Moved into our Family Home: August 2013
    Our Baby Boy arrived August 2014 :j
  • XSpenderXSpender Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning All

I have managed not to do any grocery shopping since Thursday!:T I will need to pick up some decaff coffee for OH today when I go get his prescription.

I seem to have spent a fortune, £28, on toiletries and household stuff this month. Is it me or does everything seem to run out at the same time?:confused:

This weekend I have made chicken and sweetcorn soup, lemon curd cake and spicy beans (like curried baked beans) from recipes on here. I overcooked the cake a bit but it was nice with custard and OH said the beans were gorgeous! He just has the soup to try now but it looks lovely. Thanks to all those who contributed the recipes.:T:beer:

I have £72.45 left until the 27th and this will also cover 9 days meals in the caravan as I am only planning on one meal out and one fish and chips during the holiday which comes out of another budget. I need to make the contents of the cupboards and freezer work for us over the next 2 weeks and keep my spending to the bare minimum.

XS
    PAYDBX 2020 £6,923.64/£10,000 69%
    Target CC - £999/£1030 SIF by Dec 2020
    Target Loan - £422.94/£493.43 by Nov 2020
    Big Emergency Fund Part 1 by 31.12.20 - 37.5%

Days since CC used - Christmas Eve 2019 - 224 (7 in 2019 + 2020)
  • scotsaverscotsaver Forumite
    824 posts
    Lollyfin - thanks for mentioning the SC for bulking out Mince, just about to try that today, usually bulk out our mince but never tried using the SC so hoping it will be tastier and the family won't notice the "hidden" ingredients. Got a couple more courgettes from the Garden to add in, they are taking over.:cool:

Used some more Courgettes last night in this Courgette Pie, http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=66554&highlight=courgette&page=17 Rosieben - there was a link for it on the front Recipe page but I think it got lost when this Recipe was merged with another existing Thread on Courgettes, can you work your magic to fix it?:A
    Anyway, the Pie was gorgeous, the rice gives it a lovely texture and the hint of cheese is really nice.

Also used some more courgettes to make MRSMC's courgette teabread to take out with us today.

Shouldn't need to spend anything today so 3 NSD's in a row hopefully.;)

Have a good day everyone.:D
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• BoodleBoodle Forumite
    1.1K posts
    ✭✭✭
    do meals out count in budget? or take aways

Hi Tinkerbellsmum :) We don't count them in our grocery budget as it is a rare treat when we do.

Yesterday, we managed to pick up the best whoopsie find I have ever come across I think. 2x 4-packs of Yeo Valley Organic yogs for 38p each! Dated the 2nd but I just froze them and will take one out to defrost each morning for DD to have after dinner :T I think we did a good shop this week for our money as got a couple of things that will last like pack of toilet tissue, jar of curry paste, ketchup (Heinz organic - the only ketchup I will bother with :cool:), Maldon salt and ground cumin.

Hope everyone has a good week :)
    Love and compassion to all x
  • good morning everyone

already tried to post but it disappeared into hyperspace, so hope this one survives.

Well, I spent yesterday morning cleaning, reorganising and labelling containers in food cupboards. They now look so good I am tempted just to leave the cupboard doors open so that everyone can admire my handiwork.:rotfl:

Have my meal planning organised for this month so should only need to buy milk and bread really. Well that's the plan.icon12.gif

Hoping to really empty freezer over the next couple of month so that I can defrost it and give it a proper clean before I start filling it up with goodies for Christmas.

Can't believe I am becoming so organized but must admit I am off work at the moment and have the time to do the extras that I don't always have the time or inclination to do when I am working.

Toasted sandwiches for lunch and spaghetti and meatballs for dinner.

Hope everyone has a good day.
    It takes a long time to eat an elephant and I'm doing it a bite at a time!!!
  • babyheadbabyhead Forumite
    731 posts
    I haven't spent anymore since my shop. :D

BUT I realised yesterday that i have to get DS birthday party food out of this budget too :eek: for 21 people :eek: I think i better starting doing some research.......:eek:
    DFW Nerd #1152