PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Herewegoagain
    Herewegoagain Posts: 2,370 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hiya guys,

Sorted out my receipt from the other day, by the time I had taken offers off and the things I had got for others, not out of our budget, the grand total came to £16.07, so was much less than the £30 I thought it was:j:j

So still have £73.93 left in budget for august:T:T:T

HWGA xx
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
  • kirstenc
    kirstenc Posts: 513 Forumite
    Options
    Hi guys, so I mad 2 thin crust pizzas out of 1 pizza base mix...both with BBQ sauce on the base. One is in the freezer for a lazy day, and the other was DELICIOUS!!

The sauce cooks well, and stays moist so the pizza isnt too dry, just make sure there is plenty on. had green and red peppers, mushrooms and onions on the ones I made, and it was soooo good!

I also made cottage pie and put hash browns on the top instead of mash. Thats in the freezer too and looks GREAT!!
    Pay £15k by Xmas10 £1478.19/£15000
    [STRIKE]24/07/09[/STRIKE] present - loan - £8550 overdraft#1 - [STRIKE]£2516.87[/STRIKE] £0 credit card - [STRIKE]£1210 [/STRIKE] £0
    TOTAL - [STRIKE]£12276.87[/STRIKE] £9133.63:T
    A-Z of Prizes - R, Y
  • philsmum
    philsmum Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Think I have had a really good bargain today, bought a Nu Wave infra red oven that was brand new (but no instructions) at the car boot for the grand price of £3.00. :jThe guy didnt even know what it was he was selling.
    Does anyone have one of these and if so any advice would be great.

Cheryl, Asda have the Hovis white bread mix for 50p until end of August.
    Now going to try making burgers and meatballs (homemade) in new oven.

Pat
    Debt free from April 2012:T:T:T:T:j:j:j:j
  • helen_jelly
    helen_jelly Posts: 2,982 Forumite
    Options
    Philsmum - can you use that bread mix in the BM - We were given a BM for a wedding present and used it for the first time today [lovely scrummy bread] but would like to use this mix if I could.

Lollyfin and BigMummaF - thanks for the info I'm gonna give it another go!!

Kirstenc - Your Pizza sounds lush and I'm also gonna give that a go

NSD = 2, didn't manage any in July so already doing good

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • Flat_Eric
    Flat_Eric Posts: 4,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 August 2009 at 6:45PM
    Options
    I am pleased to report that tea is simmering on the hob :D I opted for the slimming world beef madras curry rather than the asda ready meals at nearly £3 (each) plus all the extras plus the delivery charge etc so have saved myself a fortune especially as the only missing ingredients for the curry that I didnt have was some ground cumin which cost me 67 pence! :j:j and some fresh corriander at 79 pence. :D

Everything else I already had. My avon rep has stuck the latest brochure through my door so I shall shortly be hunting for bargains!!

This is somewhat unrelated to the grocery challenge so i hope you dont mind if I share. Im already trying to get organised for xmas and last year instead of buying those gift sets from boots which are pricey even when its boxing day and they have been reduced, I buy a huge gift bag and then buy nice bubble bath/shower gel thats on offer and fill the bag with that. This year though, I have started early adding odd items to my home delivery orders when nice bubble bath etc is on offer at tesco.
  • elly2
    elly2 Posts: 556 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Quote:
    I took time out and itemised my freezers today and all I can say is OH MY!!:eek::eek:

I plan to type up my freezer list and also tally whats in my cupboards as well and then hope to be able to do a plan for the month!!

I itemised my freezers yesterday and also need to meal plan for the month (still need to do the cupboards and fridge items) , most of our meals will be either sausage,chicken or mince dishes as i found aprox 9lbs of mince :eek: 24 chicken legs and aprox 15 chicken breasts and as for the sausage i gave up counting after 60 and just listed them as lots of :rolleyes: oh and also a few fish dishes if i can find any, the only trouble is i don't know which sort of fish it is or even how long ago i put it in the freezer :o.
    A NSD here today :D. x
  • mooomin
    mooomin Posts: 13,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    philsmum wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    Think I have had a really good bargain today, bought a Nu Wave infra red oven that was brand new (but no instructions) at the car boot for the grand price of £3.00. :jThe guy didnt even know what it was he was selling.
    Does anyone have one of these and if so any advice would be great.
    Try these sites!

https://www.nuwaveoven.com/flare/next

http://uktv.co.uk/food/thread/threadid/24559

http://www.recipezaar.com/cookbook.php?bookid=173654

Hope this helps!!
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Evening all

Im on day 8 of our month and have 7 NSDs under my belt :A:rotfl:Its looking like we shouldn't need anything before Friday -well not that I can think of anyway...pinkies crossed :p
    I did liver casserole for lunch (1 portion in the fridge left over)with mash and peas n beans from the garden - Im getting roughly 2 portions of beans for the freezer daily at the moment -hope it continues :D
    for tea I have just made some tortillas and stuffed them with feta salad and tzatziki quark nomnomnom -the dough makes 8 so thats 2 for me, 3 for hubby and 3 for hubbies lunch tomorrow

Tomorrows mission is to use some of the 4 courgettes I have picked to make a couple of batches of courgette teabread cakes for the freezer -Im going to swap the ground cinnamon for ground ginger as I think it will be really nice. That will still leave a couple of the courgettes -and I can see at least 4 more outside that will be ready later this week -and more behind them :rotfl:

Im determined to make a dent in some of the contents of the freezer this month and even more determined NOT to spend more than the €69 that is left in my purse .....I need to get some more space made so i can get more beans and the like in -plus I want to get some sausages made next month -ready for the winter menus starting....

Flat eric- I have started keeping an eye out for the Body shop sales on line -the other week I got nearl £150 of stuff for about £40 :j-some for me and some for xmas gifts Im planning on doing..
    right I must get back to my x-stitch ...its mums xmas pressie and Im on the home straight :D
    have a great evening everyone
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • elf06
    elf06 Posts: 1,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    rosieben wrote: »

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking of christmas - I started on my shopping and meal lists last week, and been working on hm pressies and cards for ages, we are soooo organised :p

No the only one at all I am slightly embarassed to say that I have already made (well in the 6-8 week process anyway) of making a christmas pud :rotfl:
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone,

just popping in to give my target for August, i would like my total for this month to be £180 please Mrs M.

I`ve upped it a bit as i`ve just started low carbing and the cost of buying meat has altered my budget, hopefully i can come in under target though and claw a bit back :D

Good luck everyone.

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills