🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

House rates to be 0.6 of house value!

Options

Comments

• maccaz
    maccaz Posts: 454 Forumite
    Options
    BigAl94 wrote:
    "If a house is worth £100,000 with one person living in it, why should they pay less than me? When I have a wife and a few weans to support?"

Easy - more people produce more rubbish, more people to use leisure and other facilities, in many cases multiple incomes, in simple terms, the more people that benefit, more should be paid.

badabing - i think you must be referring to water rates!

Eh???
    so a single person in their £100,000 house, who has a good job paying way and above minimum wage, should pay less than me who has an house valued at less than £100000. Not sure that is fair either!
    As for using facilities, chances are, the single person will use more council facilities, which is more than just lifting rubbish, than I can. Maybe in a few years time when the weans grow up they might avail of more then.

BTW my rates for a 3-bedroom semi-detached house is over £700. I personally think is far too much (as everybody thinks about their rates) for the facilities we can avail of.
    Mac
  • BigAl94
    BigAl94 Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    As stated before there should be three elements to the calculation, income, occupancy and valuation.
  • badabing
    badabing Posts: 595 Forumite
    Options
    BigAl94 wrote:

badabing - i think you must be referring to water rates!

Was indeed but now thinking about it the way things r goin mayb we should just get metered for everything!!!!! We have metering for our electric, fuel, the logical step is meters for water & then air!!!!!!!!!!
    It's a great day for singing a song / It's a great day for moving along / It's a great day for morning to night / It's a great day for everybody's plight.

Your father pedals car telephones at a 300 percent markup. Your mother works on heavy commission at a camera store. Graduated to it from espresso machines. Hah!
  • Milko
    Milko Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Having read all the posts in this thread up to the minute, some have made me laugh and some have made me angry, so just to put in my own 2p's worth,

In 2001 I paid £84k for a 3 bed town house in Bangor (new development, so I was the first owner) my rates where £370ish rising to £440 by 2004 when I moved to the house across the street (3 bed semi). The new house is literally 30 feet from front door to front door. We moved in in October 2004 and our new rates jumped to over £750. This year they where £887 ... that's an expensive 30 feet !!!
    Ok, I understand the new house is bigger (300 feet overall) and it has a larger garden (the reason we moved ... so as my daughter had a safe area to play) but seriously does that justify rates doubling ??? Both of these houses are in the same development, built at the same time by the same builder in a piece of land that until 2000 was a Donkey field !!!
    I think it's clear that our government don't have a clue and if you want any more proof, my wife works in Antrim helping people with mental helath issues be re-introduced to the community. One of her tennants is moving out to get their own place. The government is paying £330 of her £440 rent in a new 3 bed town house ... she gets £850 benefits a month.
    £850-£110 = £740 per month !!!
    That's an awful lot more than what I have left per month after I've paid my £968 mortgage ... and I've to work full time to earn it ... but that's for another thread :angry:
  • fredy34
    fredy34 Posts: 245 Forumite
    Options
    couldnt agree more Milko. there is a woman living close 2 me with 3 kids no job and all she has to pay is £4 a week towards her rent! government pays the rest wereas i saved to get a mortgage so i can have all my money taken away from me with things like rates and water charges. great.

thats my complaining done for the day.
  • Jo4
    Jo4 Posts: 6,819 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    NAR wrote:
    Article on the tv news tonight confirming joemardo1's figures - not that I ever doubted them. Also said the house valuations on which the rates will be set will be sent to all households over a 6 week period commencing early June.

Did anyone get the house valuations on which the rates are to be set? A friend was telling me that if you have nice views and a conservatory it will cost you an awful lot with regards to rates, is this true?
  • NAR
    NAR Posts: 4,863 Forumite
    Options
    The letters with the valuations have been delayed by a month and will now issue in July and August.
  • NAR
    NAR Posts: 4,863 Forumite
    Options
    Or to be more precise, a total of nine tranches will be delivered province-wide over the next seven weeks.
  • Thriftylady
    Thriftylady Posts: 594 Forumite
    Options
    NAR wrote:
    The letters with the valuations have been delayed by a month and will now issue in July and August.

will these letters just be telling us what the valuation of the property for rates purposes is? or will they have more info on how the rates will ultimately be calculated?

my sister got something in her door a few weeks back which mentioned the new water charge but also a sewage charge, does anyone know anything about this? she only lives round the corner from me, but no leaflets came in our door.

sorry if this has already been covered, I've looked quickly through this thread and wasn't sure from reading it exactly what would be covered in this letter.

Also, I know this is just me being pedantic, but if you buy a new build house this year, how do they work out what the value would be as at 1st January 2005? Is it the opposite of inflation?
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,237 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Also, I know this is just me being pedantic, but if you buy a new build house this year, how do they work out what the value would be as at 1st January 2005? Is it the opposite of inflation?
    I could be wrong here but I think new builds will probably take the valuation at date of completion (assuming all services are in place).

Ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills