House rates to be 0.6 of house value!

Options

Comments

• IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,214 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    And people don't forget that whatever figure they come up with (0.6) will probably be linked to whatever indices the government wants it to be linked to so that they can maximise their profits .. therefore they may link it to a house price inflation index (and up it 10-20% each year but convenitently forget to lower it if there is a house price slump) alternatively they may link it to cost of living or other index.

Remember water will be on top of this rate as well.

Not forgetting that every political party is jumping up and down claiming they are the ones to get as many people as possible into the 'we are to poor to pay for this' category .. after all once they have bought their alchohol, cigarettes amd tattoos there is hardly enough left to feed the kids with not to worry pay for rates and water).

Ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • marksimpson
    Options
    joemardo1 wrote:
    Hi,

Yes it seems the new rates system as from 2007 will be 0.6% pf house value whatever it was at Jan 05.

So a £100k house rates will be £600 a £150k house rates to be £900.

What do you think?

joe

This would actually reduce my rates bill from £880 to about £750 (pretty much taking ut back down to what it was last year before a 19% increase this year).

In other parts of the UK there is a reduction of 25% in council tax for single occupancy. I hope this is introduced here.
  • wotnoshoeseh
    Options
    Are we jumping to conclusions here as to how this is going to be applied and how it is going to be Calculated :rolleyes: (ha-ha!!)?
    I think that it is not a bad thing in itself, as my rates for this year £1220 represent almost a 10% rate increase. I live in an outlying rural area and am being hit for a relatively new development with a high rateable value of £350.
    I thought that the idea of this new scheme was to reduce the rate for people like myself and increase it slightly for those living in those areas where the rateable valuation is quite low. These houses (with low rateable valuations) are generally in the greater Belfast area and therefore are worth much more, but their rates are a fraction of mine. I know one guy with a house in Carrickfergus, a shop and flat in Greater Belfast, and a house in Portrush who pays less rates for all 4 properties than I do for my one property.
    Should this scheme bring a greater parity of rates across the NI then I think that it is a good thing :T . However, I would have expected that people in properties like mine would have expected to see a decrease in their rates bill for 2007.
    If we don't then questions should be asked as to where all of the extra revenue is going to?
    Cheers,
    wotnoshoeseh
  • wifeforlife
    wifeforlife Posts: 2,734 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just to clarify as I work in the said business area

Water rates are in April 2007 how they're worked out isnt finalised, who they're paid through isn't finalised

So rates from april 2007 are definately being based upon capital values (value of prop) rather than the Nav of your property so as to make it fairer across the board. Rates and vla are amalgamating also in that time to make it more accessable and easier for the public too. Jobs will be going!

And also FAO Ivan, I personally didnt take to kindly to your assumption/joke of civil servants being lazy, I am far from lazy, I take my 1/2 lunch only and no breaks as my workload is so severe, I regualrly work from 8am to 6pm and my pay is !!!! £5.65 ph.

Also as someone else pointed out that we have 258 staff working in rates, thats across the whole of northern ireland. The local offices in Derry, Portadown, Omagh and Ballymena have no more than 30 staff and some alot less, the majority of staff are in belfast. Also rates is not just about sitting at a computer feel free to email me and I'll explain the processes involved before you start assuming again. Oh and I pay rates too!!!!

hth
    Cath

Forgot to mention on the VLA's website you can find out anybodys property nav, if your ever considering moving or buying a property it can be worthwhile to know what your in for!
  • IvanOpinion
    Options
    cathy2702 wrote:
    And also FAO Ivan, I personally didnt take to kindly to your assumption/joke of civil servants being lazy, I am far from lazy, I take my 1/2 lunch only and no breaks as my workload is so severe, I regualrly work from 8am to 6pm and my pay is !!!! £5.65 ph.
    I knew that somewhere in our severely bloated. money zapping and over-staffed civil service there had to be at least one 'working' person ... just wasn't sure who it was ... until now :D

Ivan
  • wifeforlife
    wifeforlife Posts: 2,734 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh yes Ivan I am that soldier lmao :o)

If anyone wants to give me a really well paid job with nice holidays a company car and flexi time, I'd gladly take it though!!!!! hehe

Cath
  • IvanOpinion
    Options
    cathy2702 wrote:
    Oh yes Ivan I am that soldier lmao :o)

If anyone wants to give me a really well paid job with nice holidays a company car and flexi time, I'd gladly take it though!!!!! hehe

Cath
    There's a flamin queue for that job you know :D:D

Ivan
  • NAR
    NAR Posts: 4,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There's a flamin queue for that job you know :D:D
    Ivan
    Oh, are you retiring soon Ivan? :rotfl:
  • Gorgeous_George
    Options
    raymond wrote:
    The fact that they advertise they employ 285 staff annoys me. If it were a business the RCA could be run by 20-30 people MAX.

It' s 298 people now. Must be even more non-payers to chase.

:)

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
  • bawbag_2
    bawbag_2 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    Wish I lived back in Belfast! Our council tax for a 3 bed terrace in Glasgow South is £2250 a year!!

Shocker, count yourselves lucky!
    Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure