House rates to be 0.6 of house value!

Options

Comments

• ginger_nuts
    ginger_nuts Posts: 1,972 Forumite
    Options
    I live in my house 9 years .My neighbour lives in his 6 years .
    Both houses are the same size ( semi detached ) with no extentions ,mine had a bigger garden yet my neighbour pays more rates than me .
  • declanmcc
    declanmcc Posts: 412 Forumite
    Options
    I was in work yesterday and we where discussing receiving this years rates bills .
    My supervisor laughingly said "if you seen my rates bill it would make you cry " .I thought he must have got a big bill .His rates bill was £430 !!!!! .Mine was over £600 .His house is twice the size as mine .My supervisor lives in a farm house and thus pays lower rates .
    I know farmers always cry about having no money but a lot have second jobs .If I have to pay my full rates then so can the farmers ,or they can apply for a rate rebate . My supervisor bought new machinery in March to avoid paying 40% tax .If only I could earn enought to have to pay 40% tax .If you built a house in the next field to a farm house you would pay your full rates ,the farmer wouldn't .

I'm paying almost twice in the Waterside of Derry what I paid in the Cityside of Derry for the same size of house.... (£705 as opposed to £360)
  • NAR
    NAR Posts: 4,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    joemardo1 wrote:
    Hi,
    Yes it seems the new rates system as from 2007 will be 0.6% pf house value whatever it was at Jan 05.
    So a £100k house rates will be £600 a £150k house rates to be £900.
    What do you think?
    joe
    Article on the tv news tonight confirming joemardo1's figures - not that I ever doubted them. Also said the house valuations on which the rates will be set will be sent to all households over a 6 week period commencing early June.
  • thetope
    thetope Posts: 897 Forumite
    Options
    early june!!!! nooooo

my house has doubled in value since i bought it 4 years ago (now 140k) and the prices on the street have risen 20k even since the new year. this is a crushing blow... i currently pay approx £380 a year on rates...and think that's plenty! 0.6% would make it leap to a whopping £840!!!! it is a small shipbuilder type terrace in east belfast. this coupled with fuel prices and potential water charges will be very hard to swallow in coming years...
  • Bannsider
    Bannsider Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    thetope wrote:
    early june!!!! nooooo

my house has doubled in value since i bought it 4 years ago (now 140k) and the prices on the street have risen 20k even since the new year. this is a crushing blow... i currently pay approx £380 a year on rates...and think that's plenty! 0.6% would make it leap to a whopping £840!!!! it is a small shipbuilder type terrace in east belfast. this coupled with fuel prices and potential water charges will be very hard to swallow in coming years...

According to the last post it was only the notices that are going out from June. The valuations are based on January 2005.
  • wotnoshoeseh
    wotnoshoeseh Posts: 224 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In response to the post by thetope, this is exactly the sort of outcome that I expected to see from the new re-evaluation of rates.
    I'm a little bit sorry for those people who are going to see a massive increase in their rates bills, but I see it as a necessary evil. I would hope to see a slight decrease in my own rates bill next year, but now that the 0.6% is confirmed I doubt that that is going to be the case.
    Cheers,
    wotnoshoeseh
  • lfabargain
    lfabargain Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    NAR wrote:
    Article on the tv news tonight confirming joemardo1's figures - not that I ever doubted them. Also said the house valuations on which the rates will be set will be sent to all households over a 6 week period commencing early June.

There was actually a conservative MP being interviewed on Radio Ulster earlier this week and she said that the value was actually 0.78
  • NAR
    NAR Posts: 4,863 Forumite
    Options
    lfabargain wrote:
    There was actually a conservative MP being interviewed on Radio Ulster earlier this week and she said that the value was actually 0.78
    :eek: We can but hope that MP was wrong!
  • marksimpson
    marksimpson Posts: 152 Forumite
    Options
    lfabargain wrote:

No, she was referring to a previous plan to run a similar system in England.
  • Muppet
    Muppet Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has anyone received notification yet as to what their house value as of January 1, 2005, was and therefore what their new rates bill will be? We received the bland leaflet telling us how it will be calculated but nothing more as yet.

Living in Malone thank goodness we haven't got the money to extend. I'm so glad the amounts will be published on the internet eventually.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure