House rates to be 0.6 of house value!

Options
Hi,

Yes it seems the new rates system as from 2007 will be 0.6% pf house value whatever it was at Jan 05.

So a £100k house rates will be £600 a £150k house rates to be £900.

What do you think?

joe

Comments

• Teerah
    Teerah Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi joe, where did you hear this? Our rates went up about 20% since last year. Who is going to assess the value of everyones house?
  • Andrew_G
    Andrew_G Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    The Valuation and Lands Agency are doing the assessments.
  • Teerah
    Teerah Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes but I mean, every house in the same street may look the same from the outside but may not be worth the same amount depending on state of repair so I take it they will just be using average prices then? And will that be updated yearly to take into account alterations, eg extensions, new outbuildings etc?
  • ginger_nuts
    ginger_nuts Posts: 1,972 Forumite
    Options
    I was in work yesterday and we where discussing receiving this years rates bills .
    My supervisor laughingly said "if you seen my rates bill it would make you cry " .I thought he must have got a big bill .His rates bill was £430 !!!!! .Mine was over £600 .His house is twice the size as mine .My supervisor lives in a farm house and thus pays lower rates .
    I know farmers always cry about having no money but a lot have second jobs .If I have to pay my full rates then so can the farmers ,or they can apply for a rate rebate . My supervisor bought new machinery in March to avoid paying 40% tax .If only I could earn enought to have to pay 40% tax .If you built a house in the next field to a farm house you would pay your full rates ,the farmer wouldn't .
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,198 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Teerah wrote:
    Yes but I mean, every house in the same street may look the same from the outside but may not be worth the same amount depending on state of repair so I take it they will just be using average prices then? And will that be updated yearly to take into account alterations, eg extensions, new outbuildings etc?
    Teerah, probably not .. maybe once ina while they will send a helicpter over to look for new extensions etc. (they did this few years back and caught a lot of people with conservatories, sun rooms and other extensions ... the problem for those people meant their entire house got reassessed and in some cases this caused the rates for older houses to soar).

Knowing the laziness of the civil service they will probably buy themselves a copy of google earth :D

Ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • BigAl94
    BigAl94 Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Google Earth shows these perfectly in the Greater Belfast area, much of North Down and Carrick Areas!! I recently dicovered a neighbour not far away has a nice outdoor pool, must get to know him lol. New valuations will be interesting, I know for a fact I am paying higher rates on a higher valuation than my next door neighbour whose house and plot of land is bigger than mine. He also has a conservatory and I don't.
  • scandarahar
    scandarahar Posts: 149 Forumite
    Options
    His rates bill was £430 !!!!! .Mine was over £600

3 BED BUNGALOW - £1000 IN BANBRIDGE. I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT. HOW THE HELL CAN THEY JUSTIFY THIS? WHOOPS! SORRY! THEY DON'T NEED TO.
    sufferinsnickerinrickrastadley
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,198 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    BigAl94 wrote:
    Google Earth shows these perfectly in the Greater Belfast area, much of North Down and Carrick Areas!! I recently dicovered a neighbour not far away has a nice outdoor pool, must get to know him lol. New valuations will be interesting, I know for a fact I am paying higher rates on a higher valuation than my next door neighbour whose house and plot of land is bigger than mine. He also has a conservatory and I don't.
    Try looking going onto the rate collection agency site and select the 'property valuation link in the calculator box on the right. Now look up some of the older areas where someone may have sold their garden off and a house has been built on it. The new house has massively high rates compared to the old neghbouring houses :confused:

ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • raymond
    raymond Posts: 465 Forumite
    Options
    The fact that they advertise they employ 285 staff annoys me. If it were a business the RCA could be run by 20-30 people MAX.

Still, in a very small country with more health and education boards then most continents have why does it surprise me !
  • BigAl94
    BigAl94 Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    The puzzling thing in my case is that the properties were built at about the same time and the bigger house and garden have less of a valuation than any of the surrounding properties, even of an identical house type.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure