We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

The giving up/cutting down alcohol support thread! Part 4

1…399400402404405…444

Comments

  • Hiya
    Won't be around over next couple days so stay safe - Miss P - just returning the favour

    Still breezy here - gulp - doesnt inspire you to get on a small prop plane........

    Ym another one for me please - take care guys :)
    Total debt 26/4/18 <£1925 we were getting there. :beer:
    Total debt as of 28/4/19 £7867.38:eek:
    minus 112.06 = £7755.32:money:
    :money:Sleeves up folks.:money:
  • MrsJC_2
    MrsJC_2 Posts: 42 Forumite
    Good morning everyone :hello:
    I actually woke up this moring without feeling groggy - yay! Not sure if this is just because my body is adjusting to sleep without alcohol or that I did a long run last night - the weather here was lovely. Would love to hear from anyone who is also going through the groggy stage as to how long
    it is lasting etc...

    So, YM, that's 8 for me so far

    DC - I hope you've got over the shock and that DS is recovering well

    Have a good day everyone
  • mrsdee
    mrsdee Posts: 555 Forumite
    Morning all

    YM - 8 AFD for me now please

    Sam

    And me too please, ym!

    I'm waking up each mornign with almost a feeling of euphoria. Is that a good sign or a sign that my previous drinking was really very bad?
    Or is it just what "normal" people feel all the time, I wonder?
    Sick and tired of waking up sick and tired...
    Debt-free, now focussing on being mortgage-free
    MORTGAGE : [STRIKE]Dec 2012 £133,602[/STRIKE]. Dec 2013 £114,092.47 July 2015 £85654
  • mrsdee
    mrsdee Posts: 555 Forumite
    Miss_Piggy wrote: »
    I know, I know. Will do. Hate these evenings when I'm shall I / Shan't I / Shall I / Shan't I......

    Miss P
    xx

    Ah, miss P that reminds me of when I was trying to stop smoking and every day going through the shall I/shant I routine - putting oneself through that much trauma every day is tiring! Easier just to accept it's a no and then not have to go through that dialogue every time...
    Good luck!!
    Sick and tired of waking up sick and tired...
    Debt-free, now focussing on being mortgage-free
    MORTGAGE : [STRIKE]Dec 2012 £133,602[/STRIKE]. Dec 2013 £114,092.47 July 2015 £85654
  • Morning everyone,

    Jo - I've not got to that bit in the book yet. I should be able to read a bit more over the weekend.

    Unfortunately, I was not AF yesterday evening at my leaving "do", despite my previous post saying I would be - oops! :o So I stay the same on the AFD board, YM

    I had 2 pints of Coors at the pub before the meal and then I went onto water for the rest of the evening, so at least I was sensible and drank in moderation (can't quite believe I was able to do that!). As you all know, my ultimate aim is to reach a stage where I feel happy and content to abstain completely.

    I've been cutting down/trying to stop boozing for less than 2 months, so I've got an awful long way to go before I reach the "happy with no drink at all" stage, although I am pleased with the small milestones I've achieved up to now. One day at a time, so I need to put the no drinking whole of my future out of my mind, because of course when I look at it like that, it seems far too scary and unattainable!!

    Compared to 2 months ago, I have cut down a HUGE amount, so I need to be pleased with my achievements and not focus too hard on my negatives. I was drinking half a bottle of vodka 5 times a week and some nights I'd have 2 - 3 beers on top, or I'd drink more voddy and get through 3/4 bottle!!!:eek:

    Over the last 7 weeks or so, I've got really drunk once, plus had a drink or 2 drinks about 4 times. So that is amazing for me. And reading it all back I am very pleased with myself.

    I have another AA meeting tonight. Whilst I know AA is for stopping drinking completely and I haven't managed that yet, ( but I really really do want to stop drinking), I am still very pleased at how much my drinking patterns and attitudes have changed already. I have noticed that I'm starting to view alcohol with much more care now and I really think about whether I should have a drink now and I am very aware of it. Before, I would just neck as much booze as I could to get drunk as quickly as possible and deal with the consequences later.

    Someone said to me at AA on Monday that AA "ruins your drinking". I think it has and that can only be a good thing. :T

    Hugs and love
    Caz
    xxxx
    He who does not economize will have to agonize (Confucius)

    Beware of little expenses; a small leak will sink a great ship (Benjamin Franklin) :eek:
  • Morning peeps :wave:

    Glorious here today. Shame I'm in the office.

    It's DS2 birthday today. I went into his bedroom and started singing "Happy Birthday" and he started singing along with me :rotfl:He's such a cutie! Then the postman rang the doorbell, had to answer with that just out of bed hair :eek: Two of my best friends had posted presents for him! How nice was that? So he got all excited about opening more parcels.

    Had a disturbed nights sleep, but feeling okay this morning. Have to stop at Mr A on the way home to pick up a few things. Will try very hard to stay away from wine aisle.

    Have a good day everyone X
    Need to start again :o
  • jo1972
    jo1972 Posts: 8,901 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Happy Birthday to FH's DS2 :D
    DFW Nerd no. 496 - Proud to be dealing with my debts!!
  • 8 days for me YM. Bit grumpy this week, but not tempted to hit the bottle. Developing rather an addiction to blackberry 'n apple crumble tho'. mmm....
    ...nothing to see here...
  • GreyPilgrim
    GreyPilgrim Posts: 1,636 Forumite
    Nice surprise on the scales this morning. First time Lard has been below 18 stone 10 lbs for weeks.

    Day 3 of the 100 day odyssey. Feels like I've actually 'started' in now (I know it's early days) - but now it's underway I feel good about it. Just got to get my head down and anticipate the times when I'm going to be tempted. Thursday after climbing is usually a 'pop in the pub on the way home' night. Might just avoid instead.

    I think we have a works party on Saturday too. Actually feel happy to do the driving and stick to Lime and Soda.
  • mrsdee wrote: »
    And me too please, ym!

    I'm waking up each mornign with almost a feeling of euphoria. Is that a good sign or a sign that my previous drinking was really very bad?
    Or is it just what "normal" people feel all the time, I wonder?

    A bit of both I think

    I don't think normal people feel euphoric as it is normal for them. We appreciate it as we haven't felt like that for so many years!!!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.