PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Kefir making as alternative to yoghurt making.

Options

Comments

• sleepless_saver
    sleepless_saver Posts: 2,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Stewed Rhubarb and a little brown sugar in the blender yum or those frozen blueberries from sainsburys only £1.49 a pack!
    Anyone tried making kefir Cheese yet.

Not quite cheese, but today I put kefir in a sieve lined with muslin, and added some salt. A few hours later with the occasional stir and I now have some really thick mascarpone/greek yoghurt type stuff. Very creamy tasting with a slight tang. Yummy:D

Now, any ideas on what to do with the whey?
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Can you use some of it in breadmaking? I think someone earlier said they used the keffir instead of part milk. If you go back to the middle of the thread you may find it?
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• lindadykes
    lindadykes Posts: 391 Forumite
    Options
    Larmy, sorry I've taken so long to get back to you. At the moment I tend to use about 2 tablespoons of grains to a jam jar full of milk. I haven't made more than this because my kids won't even try it so there is only DH and myself. We both just have it for breakfast each day mixed 50/50 with fruit juice. As I am doing weight watchers I began using semi skimmed milk, then transferrred to skimmed milk and it is still quite thick now. I do want to produce more kefir and have a go at making the cheese, but I think this will have to wait till the end of term when I start my hols.
  • Trow
    Trow Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sleepless saver - or use it instead of buttermilk in scones?
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Goodness, this kefir sounds a very good idea, have just spent the last hour reading the whole thread!!!!! Im hoping to join the yahoo group, and maybe start making some kefir myself soon!!!!
  • Kazonline
    Kazonline Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    Options
    See you there Catowen!!!
    Kaz x
    January '06 Grocery Challenge (4th - 31st) £320.
    Week 1 - £73.99 Week 2 £5.10 (so far :p )
    Someone burst my bubble and I lost the plot so no idea what I spent now... :(I will try to work it out.
    Other Jan :- Petrol £20.41, Clothes £8.50, House £3.
  • larmy16
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It is a week today since I started my kefir. The grain i bought has now got to about a tablespoon, so it is obviously working slowly but surely.

Still cannot say I like the stuff. I bought some frozen raspberries and have been mixing it with some of my homemade yoghurt. I am persevering as I know I did not like yoghurt much when I first tried it many years ago. The health benefits sound like it is worth acquiring the taste if possible!

Yesterday I tried mixing it with some caramel syrup, but it made me gag and I couldn't finish it.

• larmy16
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have noticed someone asking what you can use the whey for and this has confused me. I strain it through a sieve, and what is left is some grains with a bit of cottagey cheese type stuff which I then put in milk again for next days drink.

The stuff thats gone through the strainer I mix up and drink. Am I getting this right? Or are you supposed to get rid of the whey and how do you do that??

I think this may be my last questions?????:)

• sleepless_saver
    sleepless_saver Posts: 2,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    larmy16 wrote:
    I have noticed someone asking what you can use the whey for and this has confused me. I strain it through a sieve, and what is left is some grains with a bit of cottagey cheese type stuff which I then put in milk again for next days drink.

The stuff thats gone through the strainer I mix up and drink. Am I getting this right? Or are you supposed to get rid of the whey and how do you do that??

I think this may be my last questions?????:)

The whey is a clear liquid which you get left over if you strain the kefir (which you would usually just drink) for cheese making or just to get it thicker.

I am just about to use my whey as a hair rinse, an idea I saw somewhere. It doesn't smell of anything so should be OK.:rolleyes:
  • leonie_2
    leonie_2 Posts: 517 Forumite
    Options
    The whey is a clear liquid which you get left over if you strain the kefir (which you would usually just drink) for cheese making or just to get it thicker.

I am just about to use my whey as a hair rinse, an idea I saw somewhere. It doesn't smell of anything so should be OK.:rolleyes:

I've used whey as a conditioner and its nice. I've also used it to wash my face at night and it felt lovely and soft next morning.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure