PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Kefir making as alternative to yoghurt making.

Options

Comments

• Kazonline
    Kazonline Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    Options
    No worries Larmy - I'm sorry if I seem a bit slow getting back to you, but I'm trying to read the 'Doms' site to see if there's any usefull info for you there.
    Any chance you can send me the link - PM me if you like. I understand that there is something that is sent sometimes that isn't kefir grains, more a 'culture' but it does sound as tho' you've got the real thing.
    I'm no expert on this, but I'm more than happy to do my best to help.
    Kaz x
    Take a look at this one, you can just about see what the grains should look like in one of the sieves - there's a lot of grains in this one. How much milk are you putting the grains into and what size are they? Eg small pea, marble etc Doh!!!! didn't post the link... here you go... http://users.chariot.net.au/%7Edna/Makekefir.html#usual_method_for_kefir
    January '06 Grocery Challenge (4th - 31st) £320.
    Week 1 - £73.99 Week 2 £5.10 (so far :p )
    Someone burst my bubble and I lost the plot so no idea what I spent now... :(I will try to work it out.
    Other Jan :- Petrol £20.41, Clothes £8.50, House £3.
  • lindadykes
    lindadykes Posts: 391 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Larmy - it sounds to me that you really only got a very small amount of grains to start with. When I first got mine there was about a teaspoon of small tapioca like things in a bit of milky like slime. The first few tries were like yours -a sort of sour milk, but not thick. I started to put them in the airing cupboard (This was earlier in the year) and initially it took 24+ hours to make a thinish kefir. The grains did increase in volume but this was very slow. I hace persevered however and now I am fermenting my kefir on a bench in the kitchen and it is turning in a matter of hours. my grains are large healthy looking creatures that seem to multiply at a rate of knots. I have given away 4 lots of grains - each lot about a tablespoon in size, I have 2 tablespoons "resting" in the fridge and on my latest straining my working batch has incresed to about 4 tablespoons and needs splitting again. My kefir has grown thicker and thicker over time so don't give up. it will get there. Maybe use less milk for a few days to let it build up it's strength gradually - once it gets going you will find it grows very fast.
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well I read the enclosed blurb I got and it said "Here is your keffir grain" in kefir milk, so it seems I bought one!

The link was https://www.thekefirshop.co.uk (it was in the first posts maked "Here"

I guess I did not look too closely at it. I had a tummy bug, so the thought of it was repellant anyway, so I just put it in some milk.

Dare I say this morning it is looking a bit creamy!!! I used a smaller amount of milk, so I am hoping this did the trick. I need to get hold of a plastic strainer and will have a look at it later and let you know.

Thanks guys :)

PS It also smells less sour. I am going to get some organic or goats milk and see what happens!
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• shykins
    shykins Posts: 2,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    it does sound like u are using too much milk for the amount of grains u have..try halving the amount of milk and see how u go

i use bog standard full cream tescos milk and double cream for mine and they are thriving.. i have given away about 6 lots and have one lot in the freezer... i have loads again they are breeding well out here in the country lol

i keep saying i will make extra and try the cheese but still havent got round to it but saying that often i have hard lumps of kefir (cheese?) round the mug that i strain it into where its dripped on the side if u see what i mean ... it tastes like a thick butter so i am sure the cheese would be nice

i found the plastic sieve took too long to get the kefir thru so bought a mini plastic colander in wilkisnons for about 80p and its ideal

dont give up i am sure yours will be thicker soon
    xx
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
  • larmy16
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Lindadykes - very comforting to hear your story! It does appear that mine is just taking some time to get going. May I just ask how much milk you use now to keffir? I am not sure I would want more than about 250 mls a day, especially this full fat milk (being a bit of a weeble anyway).

Perhaps I should start to sell mine on ebay!? Most people I have mentioned it to just give me strange looks and are not interested so I don't think I will have a queue for the keffir grains anyway!

• larmy16
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Shykins I have a multitude of plastic colanders! What are you straining it into as the colander though not big is quite wide??? I think the stage I am at calls for a smaller implement!

sorry, just saw the word "mini" colander.

• shykins
    shykins Posts: 2,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    yes its a mini one but its flat bottomed... mine sits comfortably into the neck of a large mug

i know what u mean about strange looks. i just tell themto google kefir and most of them come back asking for grains once they have lol

x
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
  • leonie_2
    leonie_2 Posts: 517 Forumite
    Options
    Can I just add that if you bought it from a shop, chances are it may have been frozen until ready to ship, just to keep it fresh. However this makes the grains really sleepy and they will take a while to get back to full steam.

Reduce the amount of milk you have and if in 24 hours sat in a kitchen at normal temps (not in a fridge or heated cupboard) its still not gone thick, reduce it some more. once it thickens, then you have control of it and you can start to increase the amount of milk.

HTH

Leonie
  • larmy16
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I just googled Kefir and the Wikepedia description just about sums it all up in simplest terms and descriptions, including the cauliflower type blobules!!

• Kazonline
    Kazonline Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    Options
    Glad to hear it's working for you now.
    Kaz x
    January '06 Grocery Challenge (4th - 31st) £320.
    Week 1 - £73.99 Week 2 £5.10 (so far :p )
    Someone burst my bubble and I lost the plot so no idea what I spent now... :(I will try to work it out.
    Other Jan :- Petrol £20.41, Clothes £8.50, House £3.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure