PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Kefir making as alternative to yoghurt making.

Options

Comments

• filigree_2
    filigree_2 Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    Options
    I strain off the thickened milk and put it in the fridge to chill, because I can't bring myself to eat it warm! Once I've strained off the "done" milk, I put more milk in with the grains and they start again.

In this weather I wouldn't put it in the airing cupboard, in fact I'm trying to think of somewhere cooler than the kitchen! I find that if I start a fresh batch at teatime it is done by breakfast. I've been putting it in the fridge during the day otherwise it ferments much too quickly and gets a bit cheesy.

I don't know about other people but I put it in fresh milk every day because I don't fancy milk that's been all warm for two days. It's just my personal preference though and it's probably OK to keep it for a couple of days.
  • Kazonline
    Kazonline Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    Options
    :rotfl: Is it right that I should be so protective of my grains? DS1 informed me tonight that when he had some keifir to drink eralier there was a 'blob' of kefir grains in it so he put that in the bin. I know I have loads ..... but I feel terrible that it was thrown!!!:rotfl: :rotfl:
    I now manage my kefir by buying 2pint cartons of milk. I pop the grains into the milk carton, and when it's 'done' I sieve into a jug, pop the grains into a fresh 2 pinter and then put the sieved keifir drink back into its carton - this I then keep in the fridge, and the milk that is keifering is kept in the kitchen.
    I did try keeping the 'keifering' milk in the fridge, but it went so dormant I thought it was dead! My fridge is set VERY cold though.
    My first posted batch has arrived safely and I'm so pleased it's quite sad ! :o
    I think I may give eating a few grains a go over the weekend as I have so many tiny 'babies'. I am also wondering about keeping the keifering milk in a cool box with an ice block while the kitchen is so warm. Anyone else given that a try? Has anyone on here 'eaten' any grains yet????
    Kaz x
    January '06 Grocery Challenge (4th - 31st) £320.
    Week 1 - £73.99 Week 2 £5.10 (so far :p )
    Someone burst my bubble and I lost the plot so no idea what I spent now... :(I will try to work it out.
    Other Jan :- Petrol £20.41, Clothes £8.50, House £3.
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    Options
    Definitely interested in trying this - I have IBS and it'd be great if it helps. I'm quite happy to slurp down natural live yoghurt so I'm guessing this is similar.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • shykins
    shykins Posts: 2,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    once i strain my kefir i put it in the fridge and eat it the next day..so yes its only the milk that is actually kefiring that needs to be warm.... i find the taste more palatable and it reduces the lactose in it (meaning fewer carbs for me)....

i leave my kefiring milk on the side in the kitchen out of the sun, i think the airing cupboard may well be too warm in this weather... if u put ur kefiring milk in the fridge it may well go dormant (mind u thats handy if u are away for a few days).....i use fresh milk every day ..mind u i do half cream half milk (again toreduce the carbs)

i have accidentally eaten some babies which got thru the strainer, they really dont have any taste just sortof like tapioca rubber texture.. apparently they are supposed to be even more probiotic so very good for u (even if u do feel guilty lol)

wiggins.. yes it tastes like natural yog but it is more probiotic

HTH
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
  • leonie_2
    leonie_2 Posts: 517 Forumite
    Options
    I would love to eat the babies.............. but im a wuss!

I have to hold my nose and close my eyes whilst drinking kefir, im sure i'd throw it all back up if I got a lump in there! I am thinking about whizzing up a couple of babies in the liquidiser and gulping it down as they are supposed to be so good for you.

I wouldnt keep mine in the airing cupboard either, its too hot at the moment. I leave it in a cool cupboard and then chill the milk when its ready. I find it easier (just) to drink when cold.
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ooh dear - I don't like the sound of all this. Maybe I would feel better about it if I did not have this tummy bug. People make it sound like taking nasty medicine. I was attracted by the initial post of making yakult type drinks!

Because I have not felt well, I just put the grains in some milk and they look a bit blobby now. I thought you were best to throw away the first few amounts of milk?? until it was established.

I don't think I can face drinking it at the moment.

Anyone willing to describe their experience from beginning to now, how they got it going and if they are "enjoying" drinking it now its properly established (creamy) etc.(how long did it take to become palatable)???
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• Ted_Hutchinson
    Ted_Hutchinson Posts: 7,142 Forumite
    Options
    larmy16 wrote:
    Anyone willing to describe their experience from beginning to now, how they got it going and if they are "enjoying" drinking it now its properly established (creamy) etc.(how long did it take to become palatable)???
    shokadelika (another forum member) sent me some grains through the post about 3 weeks ago. After reading Dom's Kefir Making site I popped the grains in a jar topped up with milk (semi-skimmed UHT) and left in the pantry overnight.
    Next morning I seived the kefir from the kefir grains, restarted the grains in a new jar, used the (rather thin) kefir in a smoothie (banana and whatever fruit is lying around or at top of freezer) which I found very nice.
    the following day the process was repeated but the kefir became stronger/thicker/perhaps sharper. I've used it on my cereal, in a cheese sauce, as the base for a white sauce, and many more smoothies.
    Becasue the grains are a culture of over 40 different probiotic cultures it is reputed to have more health properties than a standard live yoghurt.
    A search of Pubmed for KEFIR produces plenty of interesting research such as [SIZE=+1]
    Effects of kefir fractions on innate immunity.
    [/SIZE]that would encourage me to persevere with it if I felt it was taking a little getting used to.
    It is certainly as easy to make as using a yoghurt maker. The results are somewhat different but still, in the forms I've consumed so far, very pleasant.
    Did have a minor panic on Monday as I'd been away for the weekend and decided to leave the culture in the fridge as I thought it may be too far over if left out for over 3 days. It did take a couple of days to get back into full scale production.
    I've so far put one spare supply of grains in the freezer in case the first lot pack up. Will be perfectly happy to pass grains on to others as they become available. Being a newbie on the kefir making game I'm not sure just how often one is supposed to split the starter grains but I expect it will become clearer as time goes by.
    [SIZE=+1][/SIZE]
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • filigree_2
    filigree_2 Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    Options
    larmy16 wrote:

I got mine nearly two weeks ago. It was quite a big lump (about half a walnut in size) so it got to work quickly in this heat. For the first three days I threw away the results then started eating it. It seems quite a lively lump and I've had no trouble keeping it going.

I don't mind the taste, there is a slightly fermented tang but otherwise it tastes like creamy plain yogurt to me. I've made milkshake with strawberries, kefir and a dash of honey and they were lovely :drool: When the kefir is at the "slightly thick milk" stage I have tried it poured over jelly which reminded me of having jelly and evaporated milk when I was a kid :D Next I'll try it with a bit of jam and some crunchy cereal, like a Muller Corner but cheaper. One day it went a bit cheesy and separated, so I strained it through muslin and the result looked and tasted like cottage cheese, spread on bread.

Mine has just reached the stage when it is too big, so I've split it. All I did was gently break it in two with the edge of a plastic spoon. The baby is in the fridge with a little bit of milk which I change daily. I'll advertise it on the Yahoo group and elsewhere and spread the good news ;)
  • Kazonline
    Kazonline Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    Options
    Mmmm, not thought to try it over jelly.
    I can fully appreciate your apprehension of trying it while you've an upset tummy larmy - I was the same when I became ill a few weeks ago. I got back into it by just having a spoon of the kefir,and gradually building it back up to drinking a glass of it a day.
    I currently have over 20 individual grains on the go, divided between 2 2pt containers. Mostly they are very small grains, so I probably will have a go at swallowing them - but a couple are real 'bompers'. The 'story' of my grains is on the yahoo site (ie how things went in the early stages and a few of the 'learning curves' )
    Kaz x
    January '06 Grocery Challenge (4th - 31st) £320.
    Week 1 - £73.99 Week 2 £5.10 (so far :p )
    Someone burst my bubble and I lost the plot so no idea what I spent now... :(I will try to work it out.
    Other Jan :- Petrol £20.41, Clothes £8.50, House £3.
  • shykins
    shykins Posts: 2,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    when i got my grains i chucked the first few lots away then it turned really thick and creamy (aided by the fact i am converting mine to half cream)...i leave it on the kitchen cool side and in 24hrs i have very thick kefir which i strain and put in the fridge.. i immediately recover with milk/cream and eat the previous days kefir straight out of the fridge.

if u already like greek yog u will like kefir as the taste is not dissimilar.. i buy sugar free syrups in different flavours and add them to mine and it makes a really enjoyable breakfast.. you could add syrup or honey

if u arent used to the taste of greek yog it may take a while to get used to the flavour but u could add any of the above to make it more palatable

i bought a plastic mini colander at wilkinsons and found that much easier then using a sieve.. occasionally grains slip thru but they get eaten accidentally.. the big ones never get thru

i also have grains to spare as mine seem to be doubling every week at the moment...dont worry about what u read on some of the sites it really is very easy to do ... 5mins in the morning to strain and recover the grains is all it takes (other than the time taken to eat lol)

good luck and yell if u want grains
    x
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business