PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Baking quick questions

Options

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    whole meal bread flour is less finely ground, should be fine. I think it also has more gluten to enable it to be kneaded and rise and get a bit elastic...
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • nuatha
    nuatha Posts: 1,932 Forumite
    Options
    carlamarie wrote: »
    Also the recipe is for a 16cm cake tin, I have 23cm one if I added half the ingredients again would that work, im guessing I'd have to adjust the cooking times?
    A 23cm tin is roughly double the capacity of 16cm tin (actually 2.1 times assuming the same depth). So double rather than 50% more ingredients. Baking time will be a bit longer - what I do is check at my usual time then test every 5 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.
    I've used bread flour instead of "standard" and not noticed any difference in the finished result.
    Can you tell im not much of a baker?! But im trying!

We all have to start somewhere, and this is a helpful place to ask questions
  • carlamarie_2
    carlamarie_2 Posts: 1,038 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thank you both so much. I Knew i could get the help here!

You wouldn't believe it, but I do cook and I am good at it, but baking is like another language to me! Lol
    Mummy to ds 29/12/06 dd 10/2/08 ds 25/5/11
    :Amy angel born too soon 18/11/12, always with me Emmie Faith:A

15 projects in 2015 10/15completed
  • Sunshine_and_Roses
    Options
    I wanted to make a lemon curd cake, but found mould on my jar of lemon curd :embarasse

So now, mixed up in a bowl, I have 6oz butter, 4oz sugar, 3 eggs and 8oz SR flour.

Apart from binning it, any suggestions what I can add to it? I have sultanas, glace cherries, fresh strawberries which need using up, tinned pineapple and some jams.

Any suggestions??
  • scaredy_cat
    scaredy_cat Posts: 7,758 Forumite
    Options
    i'd scoop out the top mouldy bit of lemon curd and use the rest!!

if you have any almonds - cherry and almond cake

plain cake with jam filling

strawberry cake - http://www.waitrose.com/content/waitrose/en/home/recipes/recipe_directory/s/strawberry_drizzlecake.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=recipes
    Cats don't have owners - they have staff!! :D:p
    DFW Long Hauler Supporter No 150

• K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,578 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    edited 22 August 2013 at 11:04PM
    Options
    You could cut in half once cooled and sandwich together with jam or jam and strawberries. Or a sprinkle of cinnamon and the sultanas. I put any fruit in mine that's on the turn. Tonight was banana and choc chip and chocolate (cocoa) and pear. I normally use sr flour (8oz), butter (4oz), sugar (4oz) and 1-2 eggs with whatever fruit
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • Sunshine_and_Roses
    Options
    Thanks. I have a bag of almonds, how much would I need and do I chop them? Also do I need to add milk to mixture? Looks really thick as I suppose the lemon curd would have thinned it out.

Yes I would have taken the mould off too but I was too busy mixing before I noticed, now marbelled wit mould. Yuk!
  • patchwork_cat
    patchwork_cat Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    Options
    I would add another egg, 2 oz more butter and you have a victoria sandwich, add your favourite flavouring and voila, yum.

Alternatively do you have lemon juice, eggs, butter and sugar then make some more lemon curd.
  • scaredy_cat
    scaredy_cat Posts: 7,758 Forumite
    Options
    i'd add a couple of oz of chopped almonds and a couple of oz of cherries, halved or quartered. add a touch of milk so the mix is still a bit stiff so the cherries don't sink.

decorate the top with a sprinkling of almonds - flaked or make a pattern with whole ones.
    Cats don't have owners - they have staff!! :D:p
    DFW Long Hauler Supporter No 150

• Sunshine_and_Roses
    Options
    No lemons, but don't think I would be brave enough to my own lemon curd!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure