PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Baking quick questions

Options

Comments

• shop-to-drop
    shop-to-drop Posts: 4,340 Forumite
    Options
    Mine burnt a bit but drizzled over icing sugar and lemon and saved it.

I put it in at 185 degrees as fan assisted but think that was still a bit too high. Wondering if 200 degrees is an error?
    :j Trytryagain FLYLADY - SAYE £700 each month Premium Bonds £713 Mortgage Was £100,000@20/6/08 now zilch 21/4/15:beer: WTL - 52 (I'll do it 4 MUM)
  • pollyskettle
    pollyskettle Posts: 2,163 Forumite
    Options
    Mine burnt a bit but drizzled over icing sugar and lemon and saved it.

I put it in at 185 degrees as fan assisted but think that was still a bit too high. Wondering if 200 degrees is an error?

I had mine on 180 as I've got a fan oven too and it was very crispy on top long before it was cooked in the middle. :)
    "A cat can have kittens in the oven, but that don't make them biscuits." - Mary Cooper
    "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful" - William Morris
    Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.
  • shegha
    shegha Posts: 238 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Those that have cooked the cake today, how did it turn out?

It always tend to look over cooked on top, but tastes so good,and it get better with age. Mine only lasted the afternoon and that's only because one DS was out:T
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ive merged this with baking tips and quick questions

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    Those that have cooked the cake today, how did it turn out?

I cooked it today and its cooling at the moment though the kids have had a slice still warm :D

Given the advice on here, I baked it at 180 for 40 mins in my fan oven and covered the top with tin foil for the last 15 mins. It was fully cooked through and not burnt or dry on top. I confess to having sampled part of the kids slice and it was very nice and moist. I plan on trying the choc orange version too as it was so easy to make.
  • MumWife2012
    Options
    Hey,
    i would like to know what is the uk version of Cool Whip. I know the cream cheese is philadephia although i find that odd to put into a pudding but anyways, is there an easier way to make it myself or is it just whipped cream.with sugar and vanilla? Please help. I want to make the chocolate lasange for my kids and nephew and neices this.weekend. Thank you :)
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has anyone else noticed that since Dr Oetker bought Supercook the cake cases have got smaller? They used to nicely fit in my tins, but now there's loads of space round them. Does anyone know of a decent-sized and widely available, reasonably priced alternative?
  • Jazzy_B
    Jazzy_B Posts: 1,810 Forumite
    Options
    Justamum wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed that since Dr Oetker bought Supercook the cake cases have got smaller? They used to nicely fit in my tins, but now there's loads of space round them. Does anyone know of a decent-sized and widely available, reasonably priced alternative?

Do you mean muffin cases?I find Morrisons or Asdas brown ones are ideal for my tins, but Sainsburys are too small
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jazzy_B wrote: »
    Do you mean muffin cases?I find Morrisons or Asdas brown ones are ideal for my tins, but Sainsburys are too small

The small cake cases - I haven't tried the bigger muffin cases. They've got ridiculously small. Unfortunately we don't have Morrisons or Asda here. I'll just have to take a tape measure with me and have a look in a cookshop (not very money-saving though :()
  • purpledonkey
    purpledonkey Posts: 6,997 Forumite
    Options
    Hey,
    i would like to know what is the uk version of Cool Whip. I know the cream cheese is philadephia although i find that odd to put into a pudding but anyways, is there an easier way to make it myself or is it just whipped cream.with sugar and vanilla? Please help. I want to make the chocolate lasange for my kids and nephew and neices this.weekend. Thank you :)

There's not a version as such, but a version I make combines marshmellow fluff (you can now buy it in Asda/Morrison's and I think Tesco too now) with whipped cream. I don't have a set recipe but usually for every 2 spoons of fluff I add one of whipped cream then I add a dash of vanilla extract (to taste), mix well, chuck in the fridge for 20 mins then it's ready to use. It's quite sweet but you could play around with the ratio to suit your tastes. Good luck :)
    'I solemnly swear that I am up to no good'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport