PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Baking quick questions

Options

Comments

• purpledonkey
    purpledonkey Posts: 6,997 Forumite
    Options
    Agreed about the pyrex dish, even a roasting tin would work (excellent for brownies :) )
    'I solemnly swear that I am up to no good'
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wouldn't have thought the paint etc. would fare very well in the oven. Agree that a roasting tin works - I use a combination microwave/oven so limited in what size tins fit, so a small but deep roasting tin is one of the main tins I use for baking. Usually lined with baking paper so I can easily lift out the resulting cake/brownie.
  • miaoww
    miaoww Posts: 421 Forumite
    Options
    ooops- well i trialed the tin without contents and now its in baking - nothing happened to the print and didnt give off any nasty smells or anything when it was first in there - so i greased and lined it with parchment and stuck it in - fingers crossed - will let u know how it goes. hope its ok dunno if ill have time to make another one...............:eek:
    BR as of 14/1/2009
    Discharged Oct 2009
    BC 24
  • miaoww
    miaoww Posts: 421 Forumite
    Options
    well quick up date - worked perfectly infact you wouldnt know the difference - no nasty paint fumes or anything dodgy happened but i would just test the tin first for a bit before completly comitting.
    thanks for the help anyway
    BR as of 14/1/2009
    Discharged Oct 2009
    BC 24
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    glad it worked out ok :)

ive merged this with baking quick questions

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• minimad1970
    minimad1970 Posts: 6,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    http://centercutcook.com/chocolate-lasagna/
    I want to make this but need help with a couple of things. I don't like Oreo cookies so what could I use instead?

The receipe uses "Cool Whip", what could be used as a replacement, whipping cream? What is the equivalent of a 1/4 of a cup of sugar? and what would you use for the instant chocolate pudding layer?

I may also have to make their "Better than sex cake".:D

Thanks for any advice.
  • smileygill
    smileygill Posts: 191 Forumite
    Options
    How about Bourbon biscuits and either squirty cream or Dream Topping (if it still exists, and if you like it)? Instant Whip/Angel Delight or own-brand equivalent for the chocolate pudding layer.

HTH. :)
  • minimad1970
    minimad1970 Posts: 6,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks. I think the biscuit needs to not be cream filled ones, its the plain oreo cookies that they use. I might just make a chocolate sponge and use slices of that instead of biscuit. I've never used Dream Topping before, is it quite firm?
  • the-mango
    the-mango Posts: 818 Forumite
    Xmas Saver! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks. I think the biscuit needs to not be cream filled ones, its the plain oreo cookies that they use. I might just make a chocolate sponge and use slices of that instead of biscuit. I've never used Dream Topping before, is it quite firm?

When they say 'plain' they just mean not the double stuff ones and the plain ones have cream filling in them so bourbons will be fine and will be the same texture as the recipe

for the chocolate pudding component it's essentially like slightly thick chocolate custard so you could make a chocolate custard and thicken it slightly with cornflour or you could just use a recipe like this http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/homemade-chocolate-pudding
  • smileygill
    smileygill Posts: 191 Forumite
    edited 30 March 2013 at 7:28PM
    Options
    Ah, chocolate custard! Can't you buy that (or something like it) ready-made in cartons? The recipe seems to be about making it easy, and you can't get easier than that!

Dream Topping, as I recall it, couldn't be described as "firm"; it's a soft, whipped texture but if you want it firm you could probably use less milk to make it up (it's a powdered product in a sachet).

Just did a quick web search and came up with this yahoo answer to similarity between Cool Whip and Dream Topping.

I don't even like Dream Topping much! I'm obviously bored, sorry!

:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport