PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Baking quick questions

Options

Comments

• nuatha
    nuatha Posts: 1,932 Forumite
    Options
    rosie383 wrote: »
    Thanks Nuatha. I did try reducing the temp and it took ages to bake. Turned out very slightly moister.
    I have tested them with skewers and set the timer for just an extra 5 mins after the skewer coming out with cake mix on it, so I don't think I overbaked them too much.
    The thermostat in the oven was changed just a matter of months ago, so I doubt if it's that.
    I make 2 layers each time, so I think next week, I might try doing one with the liner and one with greaseproof paper. Just had a thought........ I have been using cheap muffin cases from the same shop too and they are turning out very dry round the bottom by the time the centre is done. So maybe that's the culprit. Odd though.

I use an oven thermometer as I find the dial can be 25 degrees out (only an issue if Herself has used the oven and changed settings, as its consistent once set)
    I've had problems recently due to changing cake tins, black, silver and silicon all require different settings/timings for what would otherwise be the same recipe.

Sounds like baking a layer each would give you a good comparison. If that's what it is, I'll try to find my recipe troubleshooting charts to get better guidlines for adjusting your recipe.
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    Lifeforms wrote: »
    The older one was asdas own, I have just bought the Doves, I do have enough to try another go, and it was a reasonably quick cook. This recipe made a more of a batter than I was expecting, but did warn if it was sloppy not to add more flour. I might risk it again with another one but use more baking powder. Just got ripped off by the sachets, instead of a tub (that I used to buy) so only have 6 (teaspoons worth)

GF baking powder can be relatively expensive. Most bicarb and cream of tartar are naturally GF so try making your own baking powder with those instead.
    I've seen ratios of 2:1 cream of tartar: bicarb, but also 5:4, and 3:1. I tend to use the 3:1 ratio but someone with more experience may be along with better info!
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • nuatha
    nuatha Posts: 1,932 Forumite
    Options
    Lifeforms wrote: »
    The older one was asdas own, I have just bought the Doves, I do have enough to try another go, and it was a reasonably quick cook. This recipe made a more of a batter than I was expecting, but did warn if it was sloppy not to add more flour. I might risk it again with another one but use more baking powder. Just got ripped off by the sachets, instead of a tub (that I used to buy) so only have 6 (teaspoons worth)

I add a teaspoon of Xanthan Gum alongside the extra baking powder which improves the crumb structure and helps to hold the bubbles in the cake (hence rise).
    Most of the gluten free baking I do is also vegan, one tip I was given but haven't used was to separate eggs and whip the egg whites then fold into the rest of the mixture.
    So far, I've found Doves to be the most reliable of the pre-mixed gluten free flours.
    HTH
  • skaps
    skaps Posts: 2,255 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone have any ideas on cakes to make for my mums birthday, its this week and I wanted to make something more than just a sponge
    MFW 2016 No 68 £1300/£8500 No new toiletries Cook sth different
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I bake my own bread, and like to think that it is a good standard - people seem to love it.
    However, I want to produce genuine French style baguettes, with a nice open structure inside, and a great crunchy crust.
    I have looked on the internet, and all the recipes seem to come from the USA, where they add stuff like oil, cornflour and honey/sugar, which I no isn't in real French bread. Also, it really windzs me up, that they measure everything in "cups", and seem unable to cook anything without using Kosher salt - when did ordinary saly go out of fashion?
    So, has anyone please got a good French bread recipe?
    Cheers.
  • mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    I've jut had a bash at this marmalade cake.

I managed to get the eggs combined without it splitting too much - I added a couple of spoonfuls of the flour as I'd normally do when making this sort of cake and it wants to split. However, by time I'd beaten in the marmalade & orange zest, then folded in the flour and added the orange juice, it was well and truly curdled. :(

The cake's in the oven regardless. Will it matter? How can I prevent this from happening next time?
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • SpikyHedgehog
    SpikyHedgehog Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    skaps wrote: »
    Anyone have any ideas on cakes to make for my mums birthday, its this week and I wanted to make something more than just a sponge

My favourite cake at the moment is cherry chocolate almond cake - it tastes as though it has ameretto in it, which is always good, to my mind ;)

I use my favourite chocolate cake recipe, replacing the vanilla extract with almond, and last time I also added a tin of drained dark cherries, roughly chopped. Then to ice it I make butter cream, with cocoa and almond extract again, and put cherries in the middle and on the top. Easy, as it's a recipe I'm familiar with but looks and tastes great.

Unless you don't like almonds...
    I've jut had a bash at this marmalade cake.

I managed to get the eggs combined without it splitting too much - I added a couple of spoonfuls of the flour as I'd normally do when making this sort of cake and it wants to split. However, by time I'd beaten in the marmalade & orange zest, then folded in the flour and added the orange juice, it was well and truly curdled. :(

The cake's in the oven regardless. Will it matter? How can I prevent this from happening next time?

Hopefully it will be ok when it comes out? I make a cake with orange juice in it that tends to spilt but is ok when cooked.
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #37 - waterproof wearing cage customiser, chief of cable ties and duct tape

It's me, DS1 (24), DS2 (16), and the lurcher.
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Did it turn out ok? I think it's curdled because of the orange juice, so I don't think you'll be able to stop it happening.
  • kittycat204
    kittycat204 Posts: 1,824 Forumite
    Options
    I want to make some lemon meringue cupcakes like these for tomorrow:
    http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=lemon+meringue+cupcakes&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1022&bih=515&tbm=isch&tbnid=xB9_sxEAmUAy7M:&imgrefurl=http://thecupcakeblog.com/lemon-meringue-cupcakes/&docid=hdLIjd0aOiGrZM&imgurl=http://www.thecupcakeblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/5116016153_2c2e7639b3.jpg&w=500&h=332&ei=o1OeUNKrOIe80QXfqoGIDg&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=38&sig=110945272900178251204&page=1&tbnh=141&tbnw=211&start=0&ndsp=10&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:0,i:90&tx=68&ty=99

Question 1: If I makes them today will the meringue not be as nice after 24 hours.
    Question 2:Will the lemon curd soaking into the sponge be a positive thing or negative?

I could make them tomorrow, it would just suit me to make them today if possible.

TIA
    Opinion on everything, knowledge of nothing.
  • hannahsmamma
    Options
    I would do the lemon filling today, put the cakes covered in a cool place and prepare the topping, ie separate the eggs and weigh out the sugar. the time consuming part is putting in the lemon curd and separating the eggs. Put the meringue on tomorrow. They look very nom-nom indeed!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport