PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Baking quick questions

Options

Comments

• rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    Actually I just realised......... are you talking about pies etc with pastry top and bottom? Because that's what I need help with. I'm okay with pies with just pastry just on either top or bottom.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Cooking pies with pastry top & bottom can be a problem. It may help to roll out a much thinner sheet of pastry for the bottom of the tin so that it cooks more quickly, and also to cook it on a higher temperature for the first 10 minutes, and then turn the oven temperature down a little for the remainder of the cooking time. Also if you could try making the pastry a little dryer there may not be so much liquid in it to go soggy.
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Primrose. Will give that a try. So, higher temp to start, drier filling and pastry, then reduce temp. Got it. :-)
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 18 November 2012 at 2:08PM
    Options
    You may also have to add a little extra cooking time to the specific recipe. Most modern ovens these days are fan ovens which cook more quickly. For example, I can notice a difference in cooking times when cooking an open flan with a pastry bottom in my different ovens. If I use the small top oven which is an ordinary oven/grill, it will take a few minutes longer than using the bottom larger fan oven.
  • Jazzy_B
    Jazzy_B Posts: 1,810 Forumite
    Options
    rosie383 wrote: »
    Actually I just realised......... are you talking about pies etc with pastry top and bottom? Because that's what I need help with. I'm okay with pies with just pastry just on either top or bottom.
    Yes. I've get better results with an 8" spring form tim when I'm doing a top and bottom pie. There's more filling than a plate pie, and it just seems to cut into better slices. I usually get 5 portion out of it. I think the longer cooking time really helps too.
    Hope yours works. I think I'll make one tomorrow now :)
  • mrs_baggins
    mrs_baggins Posts: 1,290 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am making a princess cake tomorrow in an 8" tiffin pan which is fairly deep. How much should I fill it with cake mixture? halfway? more than half?
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,186 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I think you'll have to go on how much that particular cake mixture usually rises. I think it depends on the type of cake. My muffins recipe says to aim for 2/3 full, & as they rise quite a bit, that amount always works out just right. Think you might have to go on your instinct & if it works out how you want, make a note of how much for next time. I've just made Nigella's lemon syrup loaf this morning & that mixture came about 2/3 of the way up the tin too and rose nicely to the top, but I bet different types of cake mixture vary in how much they rise.
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    as you've made your cake, ive merged this with baking quick questions

Zip :)
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• miaoww
    miaoww Posts: 421 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi guys - can anyone tell me if i can cook a choc chip cake in a fox's biscuit tin? ive lost or lent someone the cake tin i had / need .
    or i have a pyrex dish but the biscuit tin is the perfect shape n size.
    BR as of 14/1/2009
    Discharged Oct 2009
    BC 24
  • good_advice
    good_advice Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Morning. I would not put a biscuit tin in the oven. The pyrex dish is a better option.
    The secret to success is making very small, yet constant changes.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure