Natwest and RBS to charge for branch withdrawals

Replies

• chambtachambta Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    deutsch wrote: »
    When I worked as a cashier for Natwest, I refused "debit card" cash withdrawals for any other bank and told them it wasn't possible. The entire team did. This was because the Natwest computer system does not have access to other banks network of computers. This included RBS debit card holders due to the RBS system being different to the Natwest system. We always had the "aren't you both the same institution" reply.

If it was a "credit card" for another bank and they had ID with them, it was possible but we would still need authorisation from the other bank's credit card. There was a charge for a cash withdrawal from a credit card. This type of transaction wasn't often. I don't think the article means this though.

What I understand is that Visa cards will be charged. The thing is, Natwest were migrating all their debit cards to Visa from Maestro, so all the normal natwest customers who withdraw money at the counter with their visa debit card will be charged. You'd be surprised the number of people who don't use ATM machines.

The confusing bit is that I didn't know a debit card could be used at a 3rd party bank to withdraw money at the counter. It didn't matter whether it was Maestro/Visa for the other banks card when I was at Natwest. Could someone clarify this. (I don't work anymore. Lost my job few months back) Maybe it's new?

This is not the case.
  • stclairstclair Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    agsnu wrote: »
    Well it would be patently ridiculous if a Natwest customer was charged for withdrawing from a RBS ATM, but not from a Lloyds (or any other LINK member bank) ATM.

Lol that so isnt the case.

Its only for branch counter withdrawls.

If you read the new T&Cs its clear what the process is and what the charges are referring too.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • stclairstclair Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    chambta wrote: »
    This is not the case.

Thats not the case what so ever lol
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • agsnuagsnu Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    stclair wrote: »
    Lol that so isnt the case.

I know that. I was pointing out that it would be ridiculous if it was. Doesn't mean it couldn't happen, but it would be pretty surreal. :p
  • deutsch - This was because the Natwest computer system does not have access to other banks network of computers.

At the Halifax I am sure it says in our procedures that as we carry the Credit Card Cash Advance terminal we must also accept Visa Debit cards too, now from memory Maestro and Electron cards are not accepted though. It's actually not widely know even in our branches and I stumbled upon it my accident and educated my colleagues. Even though our computer system can't access other bank's networks we simply record the PAN number and the amount (partly so we can balance the till too!).

Some posters have said they can't see why someone would withdraw cash in another bank's counter. For us it proved useful if we have had customers wishing to make payments to loans, mortgages etc but have their bank account elsewhere, they can hand over their ID and Debit Card and make the payment.

Credit Cards do carry a fee for Cash Advances but charging for Debit Cards is new to me!!! Might have to re-educate myself and my colleagues on this one!!!
    I work for Halifax (a division of Bank of Scotland plc, owned by HBOS plc, owned by Lloyds Banking Group plc). Any comments or views are my personal comments and opinions and not those of my employer. Oh and I might (on the odd occasion) get something wrong, if I do then I do apologise in advance!!
  • ExtantExtant Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    You will find that a lot of businesses withdraw or pay in from banks other than those that they bank with, if their own bank is hard to reach/not easily reachable to their staff. They're just plain old interbank agency agreements, been around for years and years.

Have you ever seen those little two-man branches in the middle of business estates? They're a gold mine.
    What would William Shatner do?
  • I don't see what the problem is. I am a Natwest customer and I would never expect to be able to make a withdrawal at RBs anyway. At least you can still pay your utility bills with them too. We have a Nationwide account and thety won't take our bill payments over the counter anymore.
  • DGJsaverDGJsaver Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's nothing to suggest Visa will hike fees at all, and if it did, you'd barely know - excluding Visa interchange rates, the entire cost of issuing the card is born by your bank.

I am sure there is ways of the banks passing the cost down to us at some point
  • missilemissile Forumite
    11.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    deedee1968 wrote: »
    I don't see what the problem is. I am a Natwest customer and I would never expect to be able to make a withdrawal at RBs anyway. At least you can still pay your utility bills with them too. We have a Nationwide account and thety won't take our bill payments over the counter anymore.
    I don't see what the problem is.
    You can withdraw cash @ the RBS ATM and pay bills online. If you want to draw money / pay bills over the counter and RBS is your most convenient branch, then why don't you switch from Natwest to RBS?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • ExtantExtant Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    DGJsaver wrote: »
    I am sure there is ways of the banks passing the cost down to us at some point

Then that is an issue between you and your bank, nothing to do with Visa.
    What would William Shatner do?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides