Natwest and RBS to charge for branch withdrawals

Replies

• BigglesBiggles Forumite
    8.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Even the first item on the 'news ticker' this morning says 'Natwest & RBS to charge for branch withdrawals'.

That's going to waste the time of a lot of people with NW & RBS accounts who suddenly think they can't take their own money out of their own account free of charge any more, till they read it and realise it's not true!

Please, MSE, can we zap this thread (and the ticker headline) or at least give them a more useful title?
  • glider3560glider3560 Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have only ever withdrawn cash over the counter at another bank once in the past. Was in Spain outside a branch of Caja Mediterraneo trying to use an ATM but it kept rejecting my transaction. Popped inside and with my pidgeon Spanish, managed to get them to process the transaction over the counter. They were incredibly helpful and of course there were no charges as I used a Nationwide card.

TBH, it isn't really something you do everyday so a charge would be reasonable.
  • stclairstclair Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The roll out to customers of the visa cards will begin the end of august beginning of september.

If you get a new visa debit card before your card expires you will be able to carry on using your old maestro card though until it actually expires.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • AHARAHAR Forumite
    984 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    wizk1 wrote: »
    To be perfectly honest, I wasn't even aware I could withdraw cash from an institution I had no business with. My only fear now is that this will set a precedent for ATMs where We'd have to use a machine provided by our own banks in order to circumvent any charges.

Wasn't that how ATMs used to be ~10years ago?
    I remember my mates always searching for their own bank's machines to avoid charges (only about 40p back then if I remember correctly) for a year or so after NatWest did away with the charges. Eventually all the banks fell into line and now it's just those nasty ATMs in shops and pubs that are the ones to avoid.

I didn't know this method of withdrawing money existed either.
  • edited 15 July 2009 at 1:01AM
    deutschdeutsch Forumite
    379 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    edited 15 July 2009 at 1:01AM
    When I worked as a cashier for Natwest, I refused "debit card" cash withdrawals for any other bank and told them it wasn't possible. The entire team did. This was because the Natwest computer system does not have access to other banks network of computers. This included RBS debit card holders due to the RBS system being different to the Natwest system. We always had the "aren't you both the same institution" reply.

If it was a "credit card" for another bank and they had ID with them, it was possible but we would still need authorisation from the other bank's credit card. There was a charge for a cash withdrawal from a credit card. This type of transaction wasn't often. I don't think the article means this though.

What I understand is that Visa cards will be charged. The thing is, Natwest were migrating all their debit cards to Visa from Maestro, so all the normal natwest customers who withdraw money at the counter with their visa debit card will be charged. You'd be surprised the number of people who don't use ATM machines.

The confusing bit is that I didn't know a debit card could be used at a 3rd party bank to withdraw money at the counter. It didn't matter whether it was Maestro/Visa for the other banks card when I was at Natwest. Could someone clarify this. (I don't work anymore. Lost my job few months back) Maybe it's new?
  • savagejsavagej Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Yep, you can do a Visa (or Mastercard not sure about Maestro) cash advance with a credit card, a debit card or a prepaid card as long as you get an authorisation code and are happy that the person presenting the card is the cardholder and your merchant takes Visa (or Mastercard). It is usually the issuing bank who make the charge, you are not charged (or did not used to be charged) at the bank you were getting the advance from.
  • crowlandscrowlands Forumite
    110 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    I work for Nat West and at the moment non-customer cannot with draw at the counter using their debit card. We are introducing a visa debit card to replace the exisitng maestro card and I can only assume that it is this card the article is referring to. Todate we have not been advised that other banks cards will be compatible with our in branch card-readers so this report is a mystery to me??
  • wizk1 wrote: »
    To be perfectly honest, I wasn't even aware I could withdraw cash from an institution I had no business with. My only fear now is that this will set a precedent for ATMs where We'd have to use a machine provided by our own banks in order to circumvent any charges.
    From the article:

"Natwest and RBS are not adding charges to ATM withdrawals"

Does this mean that the charges are only for over-the-counter transactions and not for ATM transactions?

If so, then this means that Natwest customers can withdraw cash from RBS ATMs, and RBS customers can withdraw cash from Natwest ATMs?

I used to work for RBS and I had no idea about these withdrawal methods either.
  • agsnuagsnu Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Iconoclast wrote: »
    If so, then this means that Natwest customers can withdraw cash from RBS ATMs, and RBS customers can withdraw cash from Natwest ATMs?

Well it would be patently ridiculous if a Natwest customer was charged for withdrawing from a RBS ATM, but not from a Lloyds (or any other LINK member bank) ATM.
  • chambtachambta Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is an absolute non story. RBS and Natwest customers are being issued with new cards which will allow this additional service should it be required. I would suggest in reality it will be a little used service but could be invaluable in certain circumstances.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides