PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Vendors pull out AFTER exchange of contract

Options

Comments

• Welshwoofs
    Welshwoofs Posts: 11,146 Forumite
    Options
    LandyAndy wrote: »
    On a serious note I'm gutted for you but I think it would be great if you could keep us informed of what happens and what options you have to consider because somewhere, sometime, someone else will want that information.

Oh I absolutely will do, I'll update this thread on the advice given, what we did and what happened. I'd never want this to happen to someone else so if my experiences can help someone else in this situation at least something good may come of it!

(feeling quite chilled and confident now after quite a lot of sauvignon blanc!)
    “Don't do it! Stay away from your potential. You'll mess it up, it's potential, leave it. Anyway, it's like your bank balance - you always have a lot less than you think.”
    Dylan Moran
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Welshwoofs wrote: »
    Oh I absolutely will do, I'll update this thread on the advice given, what we did and what happened. I'd never want this to happen to someone else so if my experiences can help someone else in this situation at least something good may come of it!

(feeling quite chilled and confident now after quite a lot of sauvignon blanc!)

Very good:beer:.
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I read your earlier posts and although I felt for you felt charitable to the vendors incase they had received very bad news etc. but then read your later post that they were just after more dosh and agree with others, sue them!:D

I sincerely hope they come to their senses today.
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • jadex
    jadex Posts: 753 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Jeeeez, why buying in England is so complicated and stressful?
  • andrew09
    andrew09 Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    All the best today - I hope things get sorted out
  • superfran_uk
    superfran_uk Posts: 1,113 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Any news?? Read this yesterday in a state of disbelief! Exchange is supposed to be the time you can finally breathe out!
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,875 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    jadex wrote: »
    Jeeeez, why buying in England is so complicated and stressful?

I don't think that in this particular case it's something peculiar to England - in any country in the world, however simple or complicated the house buying process is, if at the end of the day the seller simply refuses to honour the contract and vacate the premises it's not going to be easy to sort out.
  • jayss
    jayss Posts: 543 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Best wishes for a successful conclusion.
    Utterly astounding situation.

Especially as they shouldnt have a problem negotiating down on a new build :rolleyes: Utterly contemptable they have waited until the last minute too.

:mad::mad::mad:
  • Welshwoofs
    Welshwoofs Posts: 11,146 Forumite
    Options
    Well the update on this today is that there's really no update. The estate agent has made noises that they may change their mind, but at the same time their solicitor has told ours that they absolutely have no intention of moving.

Apparently there's nothing more than we can do today as it's supposed to be completion day and we therefore have to wait and see if there are any last minute changes of heart. If nothing changes by close of business (and it appears that nothing will change) then on Monday it's time to move to the next stage and make some decisions about whether we're going for costs and compensation to walk away, or whether we'll pursue a force of sale.

So a long weekend waiting! I will update the thread again as soon as I hear more news on Monday. Just hope this experience will prove useful to someone in the future (though I obviously don't wish anyone to be in this situation in the future!)
    “Don't do it! Stay away from your potential. You'll mess it up, it's potential, leave it. Anyway, it's like your bank balance - you always have a lot less than you think.”
    Dylan Moran
  • Richard_Webster
    Options
    In over 30 years in the law in 2 cases that I know about where a seller refused complete after exchange, the seller was irrational and wouldn't listen to anyone. In most cases a good talking to by his solicitor will force a seller to complete, but if they are living in their own world and won't listen to reason all you can do is go for them.

Worth trying to check if the seller has a very large mortgage secured on the house and if he is in arrears. In one of the two cases the seller was about to have his houses repossessed when his solicitors got further time on the basis that contracts were exchanged and warned him that he had to be out in 6 weeks. he was hoping to buy another property with a mortgage he thought he oculd get. This was cloud cuckoo but he wouldn't be told. We got to completion day and the seller had no intention of moving out until he could move to the new house with the new mortgage that we were told he was getting. Eventually the new lender discovered the existing arrears and refused to lend. We just got our deposit back with a pathetic amount of interest. In this case there wasn't much my clients could go in the way of suing because by the time that started the seller's mortgage lender would have repossessed and they would be left with a lot of legal costs and no way of getting them back.

However if he hasn't got a large percentage mortgage then if you sue him you can fix your judgement on the property and get paid when it is eventually sold.
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure