PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cheapest Way to Five a Day.

Comments

• viv0147
    viv0147 Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    I also recommend Aldi brilliant prices and good quality it hasn't got the range of the bigger stores so I get what I can in Aldi, and the remainder elsewhere.
    Low Carb High Fat is the way forward I lost 80 lbs

Since first using Martins I have saved thousands
  • redglass_2
    redglass_2 Posts: 771 Forumite
    Buy dried fruit from a source like Approved Foods (I have more dried dates than I know what to do with, all at rock-bottom prices).

Grow mustard and cress, or take it a bit further and sprout seeds and pulses (not kidney beans as these need to be boiled to remove toxins). You get a constant supply of very nutritious wee veggies. :D
    'Whatever you dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin now.' Goethe

• Penny-Pincher!!
    Penny-Pincher!! Posts: 8,325 Forumite
    edited 8 July 2009 at 7:10PM
    Baked beans and tinned spagetti count too:D

We buy:

Frozen: peas, corn on cob, sweetcorn, cut beans, broad beans, diced swede

Fresh: carrots, onions, lettuce, cucumber, beetroot & cabbage. Occasionally cauli/brocolli if in season or on special

Garden: carrots, gems, cabbage & beetroot.

The frozen is mainly from waitrose as I find them great value and taste great and use vouchers on my shopping and bulk buy to make shopping up to £75 needed.

We used to buy from the Market but poor quality atm.

Aldi's have been great and their super 6 is fabulous!

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    In addition to Aldi Super 6, as someone alluded to earlier, the Coop has the Big 5:

http://www.co-operative.coop/food/whats-hot/
    Stompa
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    tirlittan wrote: »
    That's impressive weezl, would you like to give us some idea how to do this?

Thanks.

Hi,

Just noticed you asked :) to get all your colours(if buying all from Asda at the moment):

tomato 1/5th of can 6.6p
    80g onion 4p
    sultanas 20g- 2.4p
    20g marrowfat peas 2.56p
    80g sweetcorn-8.5p

total 24.06p to eat all your colours in a day :money:

but can be cheaper if you don't (which NHS don't say we should each day but is a bonus for antioxidant balance)

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    sometimes it is actually getting into the body that is hard. Not everyone feels like endless veg. I made ice lollies from a piece of watermelon and a pear. Really nice. Must be very feasible with liquidised soft fruit too
  • weezl74
    edited 8 July 2009 at 8:41PM
    PS I just remembered carrots count as the orange yellow family and you get 80g fresh carrot for 6.4p, so that's 21.96p per day for all your colours.... :)

eta... and using batchelor's dried peas rather than whitworths reduces it to 21.48p (determined now to get it back under the 19p!) Food inflation be damned!

cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Oooh I really like this thread. We bought raspberry canes from lidl this year for about £3 and we have had about 4 punnets of raspberries off them so far and they are still fruiting. Growing some of your own can save a small fortune and add variety. Apart from that we do the same as the other posters although we sneak cheap and inexpensive veg into dishes like spag bol so that we don't get bored of just eating them on their own.
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • Orange29
    Orange29 Posts: 24 Forumite
    I would say definitely go to your local market.
    One stall in Milton Keynes market is amazing, 10 bags of fruit for 10 pounds which easily feeds three for a week - bananas, avocados, apples, little oranges, sweet peppers, pears etc. They all last the week as well, as long as they are in the fridge.
  • weezl74
    apologies, my earlier post should have read raisins rather than sultanas since I was using it for the red/purple family...:o

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport