PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cheapest Way to Five a Day.

Comments

• flaire
    flaire Posts: 264 Forumite
    How often do Aldi change their super 6?

I think it's every month, Claire. Last month they had cherries, pineapples and plums - yummy.
    :hello:
  • Claire_Bear
    Claire_Bear Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    Is the fruit and veg good quality? I'm dying to go round and get the Super 6 but my OH says that it's all crap and I shouldn't buy it. Was thinking of getting it, taking it out of the packaging and putting it straight into the fruit bowl/fridge and seeing if he notices?

Mmmmm mini grapey ice lollies :rotfl:

Has anyone else frozen sliced apples? Will they go brown from being exposed to air or would I need to squeeze lemon on them?
    D'you know, in 900 years of space and time, I've never met anyone who wasn't important
    The Doctor
    Taste The Rainbow :heartsmil
  • freebiequennie
    freebiequennie Posts: 1,600 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Is the fruit and veg good quality? I'm dying to go round and get the Super 6 but my OH says that it's all crap and I shouldn't buy it. Was thinking of getting it, taking it out of the packaging and putting it straight into the fruit bowl/fridge and seeing if he notices?

Mmmmm mini grapey ice lollies :rotfl:

Has anyone else frozen sliced apples? Will they go brown from being exposed to air or would I need to squeeze lemon on them?

It does vary from shop to shop like any supermarket but our aldi fruit and veg is great - my husband used to say the same til we moved somewhere where this is the only store within a 10min walk so use it like a corner shop and he is def an aldi convert!!

For 49p for 6 items so under £3 its worth a trial I would say
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Claire Bear I'm in Manchester and can also vouch for the quality of the Aldi fruit & veg and the food in general. My Mum says the cheese selection is superb and I love the cooked meats. I've been to about 5 different ones in a 30 mile radius and they've all been great :D HTH.

p.s. I love your username - My daughter is a Claire and that's what we call her too ;)
  • boogoose
    boogoose Posts: 23 Forumite
    If you are lucky enough to live near a canal / country lane / bridle path, why not check out for blackberries and whinberries, etc
    It's great fun taking the kids picking them - they get purple hands and exercise and we eat the fruit when we get home. All for free!

I do agree it is hard though as I run the fruit scheme at school and I have to provide a variety of fruit for the children who pay £1 a week. During the winter I find that alot is wasted but in the summer they love the berries and grapes which are typically more expensive.
    :icotbaske Hoping to be debt free in 3 years in time for 25th anniversary.
  • *Jellie*
    *Jellie* Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This 5 a day meal planning tool might be of use?

http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/5aday.aspx
    2019 fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • Hi all,

I am really struggling to reach my 5 a day (for me and OH). I am finding vegetables to be so expensive at the moment and I don't see how it possible to eat 5 a day on a restricted budget (5 a day x 2 people x 30 days/month = 300 portions fruit/veg!!!), although I know many on here do, so I must not be thinking hard enough!

I am more into veg than fruit to be honest and spend a lot of time cooking from scratch, but too often I end up with protein/carbs with not enough veg.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can up my veg intake without a) raising the budget too much and b) just eating frozen peas every day! Do potatoes/sweetcorn count as carb or veg intake?

Thanks!
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Dunno about spuds but corn certainly counts as one of your five a day. Don't forget that a glass of fruit juice in the morning counts as a portion
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Have you checked the actual portion sizes for 5 a day...they are smaller than you might think...http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/5ADAY/Pages/Portionsizes.aspx
    and pulses count!
    fairly sure spuds don't!
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • samhuzz
    samhuzz Posts: 721 Forumite
    Is there anyone else on here that struggles to get even 1 a day like me? Don't like any fruit and don't like boiled veg except potatoes. Only veg I eat is salad.
    Everyone I know wants to be a millionaire.
    Not me, I want to be a billionaire.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport