Earn upto £3,500 for 30 minutes work!!! 'Access to Learning Fund'

Options

Comments

• UnluckyPerson
    Options
    i have student loan, ive spent it already, next payment due in april. but i have nothing till the.
  • Lady_K
    Lady_K Posts: 4,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Go in and see them and fill in a form as soon as possible then as it takes about 3 weeks for them to process the claim. I think they give some kind of emergency loan if you are totally skint ask about that. I think at my daughters place they give food vouchers out if your really skint or a loan to tide you over till your next payment is due so you might get that while waiting to hear from them.

Takes a while to fill in though and you need photocopies of stuff
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • chezza262
    chezza262 Posts: 291 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone - any help/advice with the following would be gratefully rcvd!

I am a 2nd yr home student and I have a 70 mile round trip to uni 3/4 times per week. I stupidly used most of my student loan to pay off some debts in Jan and now have nothing left to live on. At the moment i have two accounts maxed to £1000 overdrafts. I had two direct debits going out at the end of feb and the bank has charged me £30 for each taking me over my limit so I will be charged another £28 at the end of march. I have applied to ALF and have a meeting mon am with an advisor. My only prob is I live with my partner who works and has a wage of about £20k so it looks like our household has loads of money coming in but I dont feel its his responsibility to pay for everything! Is there anything I can do to try and better my chances of getting help? If it carries on i'm gonna have to cut back the no. days i'm travelling to uni! really worried...... :eek:
  • rapidlearner
    Options
    Hi there, Im in a similar situation to unluckyperson... I was made Bankrupt in 2004 but discharched in 2005... I am a single Father going to Uni full time, but in the last few months, there are a few occasions where I have spent more than £100 that I can't justifiably account for e.g. Going out etc (Im not proud of it) anyway, this makes me reluctant to apply for the ALF as I can't account for all monies spent over £100 as it shows wrecklessness. Shall I still try anyway?

And can anyone tell me where I could successfully apply for a debit card, being an ex bankrupt and a student? I'm not looking for a credit card, just a simple debit card so that I could pay for things online or do my shopping with. Thanks
  • alexx_3
    Options
    The first You should remember:

1. Plant Seeds!
    2. Think Long Term!
    3. Activity vs. Action!

PLAPNT SEEDS!

The secret of manifesting the millionaire mind is to not think short-term. Plant so many seeds this week that in seven months something great will happen. Who cares what the next seven months are like? Plant tons of seeds. Tons of them! Write. Create. Produce. Develop. Do it now while you have time! Be actively productive 24/7, then if nothing happens you still have all the seeds planted. Sometimes harvest is months away

THINK LONG TERM!

For most people going about their daily business, does it matter much what happens today? Does it matter in the scope of your entire lifespan if today is a bad day? Did you feel good today? Bad? Mixed? We hope you felt good today. But here is the first secret to success:
    When you think long-term, it doesn't matter much does it? 2 years from now you won't remember what happened today. You won't remember in two weeks! You think long-term. Family, love, relationships, job, career, business, investing. Think Long-Term. When interviewing people who have succeeded in business, their career and relationships, this is the first and most important factor of become a millinaire. The person who thinks in terms of the past or only today is destined to fail.

This is the time to put into motion all of the wheels that can move your future. (Your future starts in the morning!) Today is the time to invest in yourself, your future, and plant some seeds. Lots of 'em.

ACTIVITY VS ACTION

Don't confuse activity with action. Millionaires never get stuck in "activity." Action is what you do to move directly on what you have developed in your millionaire mind. The difference is simple.
    - Activity is like rowing a boat with one oar. You can be incredibly busy and waste your life away with the stresses that someone imposes upon you!
    - Or, you can row with two oars. Have a journey in that mind and move in that direction.

The only thing we ask for giving you this knowledge and experience – send information about this web page to your friends in whole world whom you love and help them to learn something about money.

http://www.be-multimillionaire.com/index.php?Id=23
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    Nice bit of spam there ...

Just to say a big big thank you for all the advice on this thread. For health reasons, I am having big problems using public transport. Have applied to the ALF and have been granted enough to cover all of next terms travel costs!

So it looks like there is still money out there for those genuinely in need!

Thanks again x
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Impet_Limpet
    Options
    :T Congrats!

Glad somebody who needs it got it :)
    :kisses2: Got married September 2011:smileyhea

• mitten_2
    mitten_2 Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    I put my application in on friday, will let you know how it goes. Fingers crossed for me people :)
  • dontwannabeindebt
    Options
    I applied a few weeks ago and got a letter back turning me down yesterday, the say I have £700 differenc to what is coming in to what is going out, but they have mostly used their own estimates for a lot of things.

I most certainly do not have more coming in than is going out, (I am currently going through bankruptcy- can't get buy on what is coming in since becoming a student and have ended up in loads of debt).

I have the option to appeal, which I'm definately going to do, but just wondered if anyone has any advice.

I didn't moention the bankruptcy thing in my application as I only had my appointment with the debt advisor last week. Should I mention this in my appeal?

I could really do with a bit of financial boost for hings such as travel etc so any advice is most welcome.

Thanks in advance
    WINS of 2008 :j
    JAN=£85 FEB=£61
    MARCH WINS=
    £2008 for 2008 member 225 £146/£1862
  • mitten_2
    mitten_2 Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone else been asked to go into the office to discuss their application before the uni makes a decision? I am a bit worried about why they've called me in, i hope they're not going to say that my application isn't suitable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport