Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Steady increase in June house prices

Options

Comments

• carolt
    carolt Posts: 8,531 Forumite
    Options
    Since when does MSE post spin as fact? :confused:

It's not a 'steady rise' - we need hindsight to tell us if it is or not, and I strongly suspect it will turn out to be nothing of the sort.

Could MSE stick to reporting facts please rather than hypotheses? It rather ruins its image as unbiased.
  • carolt
    carolt Posts: 8,531 Forumite
    Options
    Yeurgh - haven't popped in for a week or 2 - what's with the horrid red heart 'I like' thing? :confused:
  • Graham_Devon
    Graham_Devon Posts: 58,560 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    StevieJ wrote: »
    No a return to 10% deposit at reasonable rates, as I show in the worked example I posted icon7.gif

Doing a quick calculation based on a couple both earning 20k, with a 10% deposit and and a interest rate of 6 %, I make that 26% of net salary not exactly onerous.

Stevie.

You need to get with the times. Ultimately, the average savings in the UK (research done for the BBC) would last "households" just 3 months.

That's at max, 4-6k.

Not the 15k you talk about for a 10% deposit, plus solicitors and buying fee's adding on another 1.5k.

And people don't tend to save say 16k, and then blow it all on one purchase leaving them with nothing.

So you could say they need 20k for that 10% deposit easily.

You are living in dream world if you think the average first time buyer has 20k just sitting there.

Most do have a few k's though, I will admit....a few k's worth of debt.

I find it absolutely hilarious that people keep spouting its affordable, you just need 10-25% deposit. We have an average of approx 5k UNSECURED debt in this country per person.Yet you seem to think people just have this surplus cash, y'know, just sitting there?
  • StevieJ
    StevieJ Posts: 20,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Stevie.

You need to get with the times. Ultimately, the average savings in the UK (research done for the BBC) would last "households" just 3 months.

That's at max, 4-6k.

Not the 15k you talk about for a 10% deposit, plus solicitors and buying fee's adding on another 1.5k.

And people don't tend to save say 16k, and then blow it all on one purchase leaving them with nothing.

So you could say they need 20k for that 10% deposit easily.

You are living in dream world if you think the average first time buyer has 20k just sitting there.

Most do have a few k's though, I will admit....a few k's worth of debt.

I find it absolutely hilarious that people keep spouting its affordable, you just need 10-25% deposit. We have an average of approx 5k UNSECURED debt in this country per person.Yet you seem to think people just have this surplus cash, y'know, just sitting there?

10% OF 120K is 12k, if two people living at home with mummy and earning 20k each cannot save up 15k between them, then perhaps it is a good idea that they don't buy a house icon7.gif I don't even understand what your posts mean, half the time :confused:
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
  • Graham_Devon
    Options
    10% OF 120K is 12k, if two people living at home with mummy and earning 20k each cannot save up 15k between them, then perhaps it is a good idea that they don't buy a house icon7.gif

See, dream world. Your now back to the "two people living with their parents who decide to just buy a home together, making the biggest commitment ever without even trialing living together in rental.

You have had to use the best possible scenario to make your point. Two people, both earning 20k, childless, and also living rent free. Also, buying one of the cheapest homes at 120k, on (currently) one of the highest, hard to get, 90% LTV mortgages.

Like I say Stevie, get real.
  • StevieJ
    Options
    carolt wrote: »
    Yeurgh - haven't popped in for a week or 2 - what's with the horrid red heart 'I like' thing? :confused:

Hadn't noticed that, must have only just appeared.
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
  • System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    10% OF 120K is 12k, if two people living at home with mummy and earning 20k each cannot save up 15k between them, then perhaps it is a good idea that they don't buy a house icon7.gif I don't even understand what your posts mean, half the time :confused:

I agree, saving a deposit good practice for when you have a house to run and maintain.

What else to you suggest G-D? 100% mortgages again? What would you say is a realistic desposit to put down?

I saved my £12k in a just over a year. Easy if you make sacrifces, something that FTBers recently seem loathe to do.
  • Graham_Devon
    Options
    Joeskeppi wrote: »
    I agree, saving a deposit good practice for when you have a house to run and maintain.

What else to you suggest G-D? 100% mortgages again? What would you say is a realistic desposit to put down?

I saved my £12k in a just over a year. Easy if you make sacrifces, something that FTBers recently seem loathe to do.

I never suggested saving is not good practice.

I suggested current levels are not affordable and why. Nice spin, gotta give that to you! ;)
  • StevieJ
    Options
    See, dream world. Your now back to the "two people living with their parents who decide to just buy a home together, making the biggest commitment ever without even trialing living together in rental.

You have had to use the best possible scenario to make your point. Two people, both earning 20k, childless, and also living rent free. Also, buying one of the cheapest homes at 120k, on (currently) one of the highest, hard to get, 90% LTV mortgages.

Like I say Stevie, get real.

Are you completely daft ? the 120k was a response to another posters thread who quoted the average salary(15-20k) and house price (120k). I should imagine most FTBers are living at home and childless, have you stats to disprove this?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I never suggested saving is not good practice.

I suggested current levels are not affordable and why. Nice spin, gotta give that to you! ;)
    What would you say is a realistic desposit to put down?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure