How are HomeServe still in business

Options

Comments

• Essexboy10
    Options
    With Homeserve for some years. Then reduced water flow which then all but stopped. Quick response but guess what? Engineer called (nice guy) and said problem was a pressure reduction valve and passed me to his boss who said it was part of an unvented hot water cylinder system and not covered. Now these have been legal since 1986 and the most common system now installed in new builds and refurbs so its fair to assume a fair proportion of their customers have these. There is no mention in their summary of conditions in the website - in fact you cannot find the detailed T&C's on their website.

Here is their General Exclusions:
    From Plumbing and Drainage T&C's
    General Exclusions
    q) unless specifically included in ‘What is Covered?’, the following are not covered:
    i. pumps including; sewerage pumps, drainage pumps, shower pumps, any associated electrics or valves;
    ii. water softeners;
    iii. wastedisposalunits,macerators;
    iv. cesspits, septic tanks and any outflow pipes;
    v. vacuumdrainagesystems;
    vi. swimming pools or decorative features including ponds, fountains and any associated pipes, valves or pumps;
    vii. ground, air and water source heat pump systems;
    viii. power generation systems and their associated pipework, pumps, panels and controls including: solar panels and/or wind turbines; combined heat
    and power systems (systems that generate electricity and heat at the same time).

DON'T SEE ANY REFERENCE TO UNVENTED SYSTEMS DO YOU!

Maybe under their Summary of Exclusions?

A What isn’t Covered? (see also the General Exclusions)
    a) frozen pipes which have not resulted in a leak or permanent blockage;
    b) showers including the shower unit, controls, outlet or shower head;
    c) domesticappliancesandtheirinlet/outletpipes;
    d) replacement of water tanks/radiators, thermostatic radiator valves, hot water cylinders;

e) replacement of sanitary ware (e.g. basins and toilet bowls);
    f) smells and noises from pipework or drains;
    g) any dripping tap that requires repairing;
    h) leakingoverflowpipes;
    i) a leaking central heating radiator, where you are able to turn off the radiator and stop the leak.

NOPE, NOT THERE EITHER

But lets be fair. In another document called Flexipay Complete Cover with Heating T&C's there is this little gem hidden amongst umpteem pages in tiny print:
    (o) Unvented hot water cylinders or their controls

How many many of their customers know what an unvented system is or what are their controls? My problem was with the pressure reduction valve that sat amongst numerous pipes and not attached direct to any cylinder. So, one can now only assume that Homeserve use their T&C's to trap people. The following is an extract from the

Guidance for the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999

Core terms. Terms which define what is being purchased under the contract, or set the price to be paid, are exempt from the test of fairness to the extent that the consumer is able to read and understand them. As will be clear from the above, the OFT does not consider that plain vocabulary alone meets this requirement. If a term is illegible, or hidden away in small print as if it were an unimportant term when in fact it is potentially burdensome, then it will be considered as potentially unfair

It follows that what is required is that terms are intelligible to ordinary members of the public, not just lawyers. They need to have a proper understanding of them for sensible and practical purposes. It is not sufficient for terms to be clear and precise for legal purposes, except in contracts normally entered only on legal advice.

SO HOW CAN AN NATIONAL COMPANY LIKE THIS, ALREADY INVESTIGATED AND PROVEN TO HAVE MISOLD WITH MILLIONS BE PAID IN COMPENSATION, CONTINUE TO BE ALLOWED TO OPERATE WHILE TO THIS DAY IS STILL CHEATING ITS CUSTOMERS. STAY WELL CLEAR AND MAYBE SOME RESOURCEFUL LAWYER WOULD LIKE TO START ANOTHER CLASS ACTION AGAINST THIS COMPANY. BY THE WAY, I DID GIVE THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICES A CHANCE TO EXPLAIN SO WHEN/IF THEY GIVE THEIR USUAL REPLY COMMENTS TO THIS POST FROM THEIR HELP TEAM DONT BELIEVE IT.

SAVE YOUR MONEY, SET ASIDE THE COUPLE OF HUNDRED QUID A YEAR AND SELF INSURE.
  • HomeServe_company_representative
    HomeServe_company_representative Posts: 114 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi

Thank you for contacting us yesterday via heretohelp, Trustpilot and Money Saving Expert. I’m very sorry that on this occasion we didn’t deliver the level of service you expected from us.

I understand you’ve spoken to my colleague and that she has helped to resolve your service issue. However, I did just want to give you some more context around what we are doing on the matter of unvented cylinders.

Based on claims insight and feedback, we identified that unvented cylinders are something our customers would like included in their cover with us. To put this in place, we're taking a number of steps including, where appropriate, specific training for our national network of engineers and also making the necessary changes to our terms and conditions.

I appreciate, and apologise, that this wasn’t something you were able to benefit from when you made your claim, but unfortunately making the changes does take a little bit of time. Please be assured however that we’re working hard to sort it for our customers.

Once again I’d like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention and if we can be of any more assistance please don't hesitate to get in touch via our email address that can be found on our profile page.

Kind regards

Famena
    Here To Help Team
    HomeServe
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of HomeServe. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • hillcats
    hillcats Posts: 899 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 May 2014 at 8:40PM
    Options
    Homeserve are a joke, when my boiler cover was due for renewal and Ferroli had decided that they would no longer being taking direct debits and dealing with call outs directly, Ferroli referred me to Homeserve. Having had previous dealings with this company I was certainly NOT going to have that company or any of its employees stepping foot on my land / into my property.
    They proved beyond all doubt that I'd made the right decision when they kept bombarding me with their junk mail telling to accept their services by a certain date and I would get a discount, problem was the letter was dated two weeks after the offer expiry date on the same letter!
    Thanks but I will NEVER use homeserve, if you cant get your basic admin right do you really think I'm going to let you / your employees loose on my boiler - It will never happen. I now self insure and use a local company to service my boiler who actually employ the ex Ferroli engineer who has dealt with my boiler for years...
    ORIGINAL MORTGAGE AMOUNT £106,454.00 (Started Sept 2007)
    NOV 2021 O/S AMOUNT £1,694.41 OUR DEBT REDUCED BY £104,759.59 by std regular, over-payments & off-setting.
    BofE +0.19% Tracker Repayment Offset Mortgage Discounted Sept 07-10 then increased to BofE +0.62% until 2027
    Options

Hi Hillcats

We’ve seen your post and thank you for your feedback. If you email your contact details to us via [EMAIL="heretohelp@homeserve.com"]heretohelp@homeserve.com[/EMAIL] we’ll ensure that you’re removed from our records.

Kind regards

Jackie
    Here To Help Team
    HomeServe
    I am the official company representative of HomeServe. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • jurorsprudence
    Options
    I thought it might be useful to add our experience of Homecare in here. This is my first post, so be gently if I am in the wrong place!

When we experienced a failure in electrical supply to our utility room in Feb/Mar this year. A Homecare electrician came out to look at the problem and was unable to find the reason for the failure. The electrician then produced a quote for £1800 pounds and informed me we would not receive further help until the issues in the quote had been resolved.

We subsequently put this work out to tender, received quotes from reputable electricians and had the repairs completed for (and we took the most expensive quote) £800.
    I have now been looking at the homecare advertising section and found the following;

"Repairs and, or replacement if necessary, to electrical wiring, fuseboards and broken, damaged or faulty electrical fittings both inside and outside your home and outbuildings." (which was most of the work on the quote given)

A further look at the exclusions. Maybe the reason for not fixing our problems is in there?

Removing sludge or hard-water scale from the boiler or system.
    Repairing damaged caused by sludge or hard water scale if we have told you on a previous visit that remedial work is required.
    Tap replacement.
    Replacing ceramic discs in taps.
    Shower repairs.
    Repairs to spa baths.
    System improvements or upgrades.
    Shared drains.
    Electrical appliances.
    Repairing the parts of the power supply between your home and the outbuildings on your property that are outside of the buildings.
    Accidental damage to the main electrical consumer unit or fuse box.

As there is nothing in there to make us think otherwise, we think that the work should have been covered.

To add insult to injury I have tried to contact Homecare on their customer service line to discuss this issue on several occasions over the last 2 days and have found their response times to be appalling.

I have NEVER phoned customer services without hearing the words " We are experiencing unusually high call volumes at the moment"
    Which begs the question If call volumes are always high, then this is no longer "unusual" and would, in any sane organisation mean looking at increasing the number of representatives available to deal with said calls.

After finally being admitted to the hallowed position of being able to speak to someone. I was told that the complaints team (Rapid Response team!) would be in touch shortly. I waited. and waited and finally after 24 hours... called back.
    After a 12 minute wait to talk to a human being, I was eventually dealt with by a polite but unfortunately powerless customer service agent, who finally admitted that he could not put me through to "Rapid response team " as after several attempts, he could not get hold of anyone there and he would call me back when he had reached someone.

The agent finally called me back a few hours later explaining that he had been repeatedly trying the line but had been unsuccessful and that the " Rapid response" team would shortly be closing for the evening.

I pay a hefty monthly sum for the security of knowing that problems with plumbing and electrics will be resolved. This has not happened, and in fact our extreme need was used by the company to attempt to strong-arm us into paying highly inflated amounts for repairs that should have been carried out as part of our agreement.

A cautionary tale for anyone thinking of getting into an agreement with Homecare. British Gas used to be a reputable company and it is sad to see them associated with this type of cheap and shifty sales behaviour
    BTW thanks to the person who posted about the terms needing to be clear to the layman. Very useful and well written .
  • rbrookes
    rbrookes Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 20 June 2014 at 2:24PM
    Options
    Surely they can't be as bad as everyone says I thought when I took out the Homeserve boiler cover. They are I'm afraid.

There was an installation problem with my boiler which despite them having already having been out for a previous call, they didn't notice and so they were happy to renew my insurance.

When the boiler finally gave up though, they cited this as a problem and decided it wasn't covered any more.

They did admit that they shouldn't have sold me the cover and refunded it. However, whereas I though I was covered and had nothing to worry about, I now have a bill for £1650 for a boiler replacement and as I live abroad it's difficult for me to shop around.

Thanks Homeserve :(

*** I've just read on other boards that it's standard procedure for them to state that a boiler is beyond economical repair and offer you £200. I think this should be investigated. I'm going to refer this on as this business practice stinks.
    Options
    Good afternoon,

I’ve read your post and I’m really sorry that on this occasion we didn’t deliver the level of service you expected from us.
    We’d like to take a look at this for you. If you visit our profile page you’ll see an email address to reach us. Please email us with your policy details and as you’re living abroad, let us know a suitable time/number to call you on, we’ll get back to you.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Dave
    Here To Help Team
    HomeServe
  • charliedog000
    Options
    I guess I must be one of the lucky ones (touch wood)

I have the Homeserve 8 policy & needed an engineer to come out & sort out a motorised valve on my central heating that was not working properly.

Called them at 8am. Engineer with me at 10am. Smashing fella. Very helpful, full of advice. Answered all my queries. Had to pay the £50 excess, but that was cheap as chips compared to what it would have cost me.

6 weeks later, not a peep out of the motorised valve. All good

5***** for me for Homeserve :beer:
  • Stusw2
    Options
    Reported my central heating was not working on 15th September. Was told that an engineer could only call Monday to Friday 9- 5pm- since i work Monday to Friday - had to take day off work, Engineer came on 22nd September - however as it was a pipework problem and not a boiler problem (although the pipework is part of the central heating) he could not do the job Was told that Homerserve could be in contact. Nothing!!! Had to call Homerseve after 3 days and eventually they arranged for a contracted to come on Monday 29th - so another day off work - was supposed to be first call - by 9:30 i went a did some gardening in my back garden - left note on front door saying that i was in the back garden - while i was in the back garden the phone went - buy the time i got to the phone the caller had rung off - despite having an answerphone - no message was left - called the number - got an answer phone message - so left a message. Called Homeserve and they contacted the engineer who informed them that since did not answer the phone (despite them knowing i had taken a day off work and was expecting them as a first call) they cancelled my appointment and was told that they could not come back that day and so they expected me to take another day off work. Homeserve were useless !!!! Why was i paying £28.00 a month for a service they cant fulfill despite their claims for a 24 hour repair service. Have cancelled my contract - what a waste of time, holidays and money - WOULD NEVER use them again.
  • amandapsr
    Options
    Fridge of fridge/freezer not keeping cold. This problem started in July a engineer visited in July and September where it was clear there was a built of ice once removed fridge worked correctly. However last week the same problem of the fridge not keeping cold developed again. Engineer came out he looked in the freezer for seconds and said the freezer needed to be defrosted for 3 days although there was no visible built up of ice in the freezer. I asked if he would inspect the coils or take the panels off to see if ice had built up behind, (previous Homeserve engineer had mentioned this) he refused. He spent more time wanting to do a electrical test. Do engineers get a commission for electrical fault finding ????. Also the engineer response to my queries were aggressive. I had to ask him to leave my home because I felt unsafe. I have since liaise with a fridge technician that was surprised that the engineer did not not make the following assessment:
    1 Test compressor
    2 Check to see if duct blocked
    3 Check if evaporator coils are frosted over
    4 Evaporator fan motor failed
    5 PCB board problem
    6 Faulty door seal
    I have tried to complaint to Homeserve to no avail only when I put a posting on facebook - Via British Gas did I get a response that Homeserve would be in touch todate this has not happen and my fridge remains unusable. I did defrost the freezer for a day but there was no defrosted water, hence no built of ice to defros. If Homeserve are not able to keep to their side of the contract refund my money so I can go elsewhere.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback