BBC WEATHER CENTRE what a joke !!

Can anyone one explain to me the point of the BBCs weather centre forecasts.... all week they have been predicting a great weekend ( so hire bouncy castle for kids & promise them BBQ )... WHAT HAPPENS on fridays 6.55pm forecast all of sudden N.E. England coastline will be affected by seafret ( fair enough I tell kids who are now very worried we can put up with a bit of cloud I tell them and off we go to ASDA and spend nearly £50 on meats, pop,sweets,crisps ect )......... knocked out of bed 8.15 am by bouncy castle guys and by 9.00am gigantic yellow & red thing ready to be pounced upon by twenty angelic kids who have all arrived by 10am..... UNFORTUNATELY what happens 10.15am it LASHES it down with rain NOT ONCE has it stopped & its now 2.20pm I can also assure you this is in for the rest of the day............ So cheesed off ( 20 screaming kids jumping all over my furniture nowt to do with it ) I put TV on and notice triathalon event in MANCHESTER and GUESS WHAT .!! its PELTING down there also .......... SO NOW TO MY RANT... on seeing this I phone BBC weather centre to ask what they were playing at as surely with technology that is available now days heavy rain should be easily detected........ but the PRAT on the other end of the line couldn`t understand my point that if there had been the slightest hint of rain in THEIR forecast I would have saved the kids fun day for another time ( total wasted on the day about £120 )........ but he amazed me with the statement I quote " we cannot predict when it rains you know " and he put the phone down without another word... while I accept our weather forecasts have always been a standing joke !!! MY QUESTION IS THIS ... If they cannot predict the weather WHY do they insist on trying to tell us whats going to happen 3 or 4 days in advance.... !! by the way ITS STILL RAINING !!

Comments

• IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I doubt if this will help but the sun is splitting the trees over here in Northern Ireland - best day this year. Maybe it will have pushed its way over to you tomorrow.

I hate it when the weatherman starts the forecast with 'we have just had another beautiful day' when it has actually been raining all day and his weather chart is showing rain over the while country except for London.

Ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • scheming_gypsy
    scheming_gypsy Posts: 18,410 Forumite
    I put TV on and notice triathalon event in MANCHESTER and GUESS WHAT .!! its PELTING down there also ..........

You sure that was live TV? i'm only 10 - 15 miles away from Manchester and it's been cracking the flags all day here. My mate in Burnley who's about 10 miles in a different direction from Manchester has said it's been hot and i've just text my mum who's just outside the centre of Manchester and she say's it's 'Lovely, sunny and pleasant. warm'
  • sloppychops
    sloppychops Posts: 6,742 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Its been scorching here all day in County Durham :)
    "Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
  • Raggie
    Raggie Posts: 613 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I know it wil not help now.. But

We have alway found BBC Online weather more accurate than the dorks on the telly...

enter you postcode.. and well ...its worked for us..

Rags...

PS.. my sympathy with the kids.. just got through a 5 year old B'day party.. 30 little S*ds.. running hell in the house garden...were is my beer... ;D
    The only place where success comes before work is the dictionary…
  • OOPs .... SORRY automatically assumed triathlon in MANCHESTER was live today.. to be honest had one eye on god-daughter trying to stuff her beefburger in my video machine..... Well it finally stopped raining at 4pm but kids were happy to line up wanting their soggy sausages cooked ( which I did in my snorkle, rubber ring & flippers )........ REALLY GLAD TO HEAR SOME OF YOU HAVE BEEN TOPPING UP ON THE SUNTANS THOUGH !!!!.... TIME FOR A PINT ME THINKS !!
  • Fatboy_NSS
    Fatboy_NSS Posts: 546 Forumite
    Gorgeous in Oxford this weekend, weathermen got it spot on.

In fairness to the weathermen, conditions can change rapidly and can't always be predicted. Personally I'd rather than have a forecast that'll be wrong say 20% of the time than not get a forecast at all. I'm sure the kids would have been perfectly happy to bounce about in the rain anyway!
  • Nerf18
    Nerf18 Posts: 37 Forumite
    They said it would rain today at 5pm and it infact starting raining at 4.54pm. Not impressed!!
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    How come this thread has been restarted? It is from 2004!!!
    Gone ... or have I?
  • patwa_2
    patwa_2 Posts: 1,542 Forumite
    I use https://www.accuweather.com which has never led me wrong. I find the realfeel measurement particularly useful, it's saved me a few times when I would have been roasting to death under jackets and sweaters but instead wore a T-Shirt, I did end up having to carry everyone else's stripped clothese though hehe.

H.
    Know me for who I am, not for who I say I am.
  • So why not take Mother Nature to court and claim your costs back. How dare she rain.........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure